Best Tank so far is 460 Miles

Post your's

and state which engine you have

Curious to see The Most mileage people have seen out of a tank of gas

·
Registered
2013 OB
106 Posts
"Miles per tank" is a very hard figure to calculate. How much did you fill up the tank (ie. exactly how much gas did you start with)? How much gas was left when you recorded your mileage? Or did you go till the engine stopped running?

·
Registered
2013 White Outback 2.5 Special Appearance Package
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went till I was pretty much out.. It had been on the E line for about 20 Miles..

wanted to get as low as possible without running out

Then proceeded to fill up and record my Mileage from full to empty again.

done this a few times best tank was 460 miles

Your over addressing this.

Simple avg of your best tank

I don't think anyone would post there best numbers after filling a tank only half way from empty

or

be on 3/4 of a tank and fill up

I simply meant best recorded tank ;)

·
Registered
2013 3.6R SAP BBP Outback
717 Posts
If you really want to know best miles per tank, fine. But it's not a meaningful measure of mpg. All it gives you is how far you're willing to drive with the E light on.

·
Registered
2013 OB Limited, 2.5 w/Moonroof
163 Posts
That's the point. He who laughs in the face of danger (and being stranded on the roadside with a big "I'm stupid" look on his face) WINS!

440 miles is my best so far. But now I'm gunning for 500!

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited, TBM, with Sun/Nav/Eyesight
54 Posts
499! AHHhhhh :rolleyes:

2.5 in. NorCal down to the last drop I think

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you really want to know best miles per tank, fine. But it's not a meaningful measure of mpg. All it gives you is how far you're willing to drive with the E light on.

I know it's not a meaningful measure of mpg.. sorry for asking the question.

That's the point. He who laughs in the face of danger (and being stranded on the roadside with a big "I'm stupid" look on his face) WINS!

Wow what an ignorant response.

I swear this has got to be one of the worst car forums I have ever joined.

I am apart of a detailing forum, bmw forum, infinti forum and Jeep forum where all members for the most part are very helpful, informative and share a passion.

this forum is always full of rude comments and people that hardly seem to share the same car passion or care to give any positive input when someone post a thread.

Mind you a few threads have been just fine. but I have truly been dissapointed w/ subaruoutback.org as a forum.

end rant and thanks for your reply that you thought to be post worthy ;) ps no one is laughing in the face of danger.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium CVT
85 Posts
I think the main point is mpg is much more useful than mpt. My "rude" comment is that I won't be testing mpt because I don't like running the tank empty and the fuel pump dry.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the main point is mpg is much more useful than mpt. My "rude" comment is that I won't be testing mpt because I don't like running the tank empty and the fuel pump dry.

I don't do this often and normally just measure my mpg

But thought it would be Interesting to see what I could get MPT

I have only done this a few times.. and know my limit and when I need to get gas.. if I get 460 mixed city driving .. im not going to push it and see if I can get 500 out of a tank..

Was just curious that's all.. many fuel sites, mpg sites and car review sites have posted 400 or 520 miles on a tank. so was just curious what peoples best tank they had noted was.

I usually fill up at a 1/4 of a tank left as that has been how I have always filled up my vehicles.

Just decided to do this a few times to see what I was getting out of a tank. as well as to note what I may expect on the highway while taking it on vacation this summer.. This will be the first time we use the outback for our vacation traveller

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
Everytime I get gas the guesstimator says I'm good for about 500mi. At the half tank mark it's 450mi but by the time I need to fill up it's always right at 400. Seems like I put in about 16.5 gallons give or take a couple of tenths without topping off(maybe to the next dollar). So theoreticly I could squeeze another 30-40miles out. Usually 70%-30% city/hiway.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,658 Posts
You have about 18 gallons of gas to play with. 18 x mpg = good estimate of mpt.
...well my best tank was 36 mpg...imperial gallons. That would put me at about 650 miles per tank...all highway miles. I would not even try that in the winter with the lower mileage I have been getting.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R SAP
50 Posts
2013 3.6R SAP

Based on my best mpg, I should be able to get close to 485 miles in perfect circumstances. It was a mix of divided highway and two lane highway and held around 27 - 27.5mpg.

Mostly I seem to be around the 425 mile mark (24mpg), though I generally fill up at 1/4 tank if not earlier so I've never pushed it very far.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited w/ moonroof
227 Posts
2013 2.5i Limited

Best i've ever had was 510 miles driving down to NC - averaged about 28 MPG. To be fair though I was so empty the front display actually said "---" under the miles to empty screen.

It took a hair over 18 gallons to fill back up. A little scary moment - I won't be doing that again :eek:

For everyday 50/50 work driving I try to aim for at least 400 miles per tank if I can which is around 25mpg (16 or so gallons).

·
Registered
2011 2.5 Limited Cypress Green
573 Posts
I know this is meant for 2013's but I have to brag...

My record is 535 miles in my 2011, suckas!

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
340 Posts
I am starting to wonder what is wrong with the 2013 models. My 2012 never got less than 27.9 highway and 99% of the time 29 plus winter 32-35 summer.

This was taken driving back from work yesterday @ 60-65 mph. 60 mile trip no traffic no cruise control.

Well theirs yer problem, yer in Park plus that open door is probably acting like a big ol parachute :D

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5 Limited
188 Posts
Do we have a Seinfeld episode here?

Didn't Kramer (with a car salesman) try to push the "E" envelope in a Volvo on a Seinfeld episode? :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts