Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
'05 OB 2.5i, '14 OB 3.6R
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe my hanger bearing is going out on my 14 3.6R. Is there a good way to check to make sure it's going out for sure before I spend $500+ on a new drive shaft? When I'm driving there is a humming the gets louder the faster I drive. It seems to be coming from the center of the car. So that's why I believe it's the hanger bearing. And is it best to go oe on the drive shaft or is there a good aftermarket one that is good to go with?

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
18,139 Posts
It would be best to check the wheel bearings and while it's up check the center carrier for the drive shaft.

You can go with Dorman if it is the carrier. It'll fit and the on one my supercharged VDC is holding up good, putting up with some hard driving and high torque output.

·
Registered
1997 Outback, 2016 Forester, 2022 Outback
157 Posts
Optimus, unless there is visual evidence of failure, e.g. a torn boot, the only way I know to check the carrier bearing is to actually pull the drive shaft so you can rotate it by hand, This is also a good opportunity to check the U-joints.
I don't think there is room to rotate the carrier assembly with the drive shaft installed. And at least on the older cars, you will lose transmission fluid when you remove the drive shaft, so be prepared for that. Somewhere I have a "plug" that I made from the front section of a failed drive shaft. If you have nimble fingers, you can get them swapped, and not lose much. Much 90wt, anyway, more ATF 'cause it's thinner (but easier to replace)(on pre-CVT cars). I just don't know about the watery CVT fluid. I would plan on having to top that off, or probably even better, just dump the 5qts in the pan before you start, and fill it with fresh fluid when you're done. You'll need the tools to accomplish this. Be sure to mark both ends of the drive shaft so you can recover the alignment when you re-install. I don't know how much this matters, but better safe than sorry.
Have a line on a replacement drive shaft before you start just in case you need it. And even with a good shop press, DIY on the carrier bearing and U-Joints is non-trivial, and I really can't recommend it. Don't ask me how I know this :p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts