Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '14 is approaching 100K miles so curious if there's anything I need to assure I have checked before the 100K mark? I believe there's a 100K drivetrain warranty (?).

I plan on trading this in on a 2021 and currently it sits at almost 89K. Every Subie I've owned I've driven until it died from miles or some idiot cutting me off causing it to be totalled, so I know how long they last. I've had several over 200K miles. This '14 is my least favorite of the 5 Subies I've owned so that's why I'll be trading her in on a '21 in 1.5 years.

So just interested in others thoughts on what needs checked before 100K.

Thanks in advance fellow Subie lovers!

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
My '14 is approaching 100K miles so curious if there's anything I need to assure I have checked before the 100K mark? I believe there's a 100K drivetrain warranty (?).

I plan on trading this in on a 2021 and currently it sits at almost 89K. Every Subie I've owned I've driven until it died from miles or some idiot cutting me off causing it to be totalled, so I know how long they last. I've had several over 200K miles. This '14 is my least favorite of the 5 Subies I've owned so that's why I'll be trading her in on a '21 in 1.5 years.

So just interested in others thoughts on what needs checked before 100K.

Thanks in advance fellow Subie lovers!

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just keep the exterior and interior somewhat clean and maintained, and let the dealership/next owners worry about maintenance and upkeep. Most new owners should do their own maintenance after picking up a used car anyway. I bought mine from a used car dealership who allegedly purchased it from a local Subaru dealership. It was in immaculate condition, even at 170k miles, but I still changed all the fluids myself shortly thereafter. They claimed to have replaced the head gaskets and timing belt, so I'll take their word for it since I don't feel like tearing everything apart just to check, but I'll likely do another big maintenance run around 200k (if I keep the vehicle that long, which I have a feeling I will). Just don't wreck it and wash it every once in a while, and you'll be fine :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
No timing belt on the 2014s, but the accessory belt is due at 105k miles.
Engine air filter is due every 30k miles, so would fall at the 90k mile mark.
Brake fluid should be flushed every 30k miles.
Differential fluid should be inspected every 30k, but considering your short term of future ownership... I wouldn't worry about it.
Spark plugs are every 60k miles, so not due again until 120k miles.

For private sale, do all these main maintenance items and keep the receipts.
But if you're trading it in, I'd just enjoy this next year with it.

I'm also in a '14 at 90k miles and thinking of trading it in for either a '19 WRX or the next gen '21 WRX. '21 models should be on the lot by next September; even if it's not a great new car, the previous generations will be discounted at that time.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I ran my '11 until around 95K with zero issues. Then it was a simple sensor replacement that was illuminating a few of the dash warning lights. I recently did the 105K service that included the timing belt on my car. That package ran around $1800 IIRC. So in 105K miles, beyond typical tires, brakes, wipers and oil and filters, the car has cost me about $2200 for 8 1/2 years of ownership.

You should be fine as has been mentioned. Too bad you aren't warmed up to your '14. I keep getting prods from Subaru to trade but I'm loving having no payments!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
patchelect
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing