Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone! i got a 2014 outback with cvt trans and this is the first winter that i have this car
i have rather unusual problem or some dealers say it's standart i start the car, wait for it to warm up for a few min
but with the heat on it runs on high revs i turn off the heat and it runs like it should and this goes on until the engine heat needle reaches the middle
is this really standart!

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
I have a really hard time reading that due to punctuation and spelling, or lack there of.

Are you asking if it is normal for the heater to have an effect on the RPMs? If so, yes.
Are you asking if it is normal for the vehicle to idle high until to comes to operating temp? Also, yes.
If you're asking something else, I cannot figure out what.

Reactions: rockthebeef

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,695 Posts
^^^^^ +87 to what he said.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,139 Posts
Are you saying that idle rpm is high but only correlated to the heater being turned on, and it drops to a normal range once it's warmed up? How high is the rpm level?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a really hard time reading that due to punctuation and spelling, or lack there of.

Are you asking if it is normal for the heater to have an effect on the RPMs? If so, yes.
Are you asking if it is normal for the vehicle to idle high until to comes to operating temp? Also, yes.
If you're asking something else, I cannot figure out what.
thanks for writing
my car runs on idle @ 1800rpm any other cars that i had run @ 1600

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts
I think if you push the autoclimate control button you will get the Air condtioner in such situations. such to dry the air before blowing it on the windshield.

my old 2002 H6 has a automatic windsheild clear button for just that. (when the rad is cold you get A/C and the fan on full blast trying to take the frost/condenstation off the window).

if the A/C compressor is kicking on it will alter the engine speed. as that is dragging on the engine. possibly even more as belt and everything else there is physically is cold.

(edit: and the automatic for windshield button does this hot rad or ice cold rad).

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,139 Posts
2000rpm @ 30mph and 2200 rpm @ 40 mph
and i forgot to say if i turn of the heat it runs 1200-1400 rpm @ 30-40 mph
Even more confusion.

"Idle rpm" means the rpm attained when the car is sitting, not moving forward.

Are you saying that it won't shift into higher gears when the heater is turned on?

Is your tachometer reliably indicating the engine rpm? It can be checked.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5L CVT (Alloy Wheel Package)
44 Posts
My 2014 2.5 CVT Outback doesn't have an "engine heat needle" (temperature gauge).

Does anyone else have a temperature gauge in their 2.5 or 3.6?

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Even more confusion.

"Idle rpm" means the rpm attained when the car is sitting, not moving forward.

Are you saying that it won't shift into higher gears when the heater is turned on?

Is your tachometer reliably indicating the engine rpm? It can be checked.
I'm not clear on when they started, but late model Legacy/Outback really, honestly are set up with a 2nd stage high idle for faster warm-up upon high demand from the cabin heater. The same controller also influences the CVT to encourage higher RPMs than you might normally need for a given power demand. There are several threads about it salted around the 4th/5th generation sections.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i Premium
377 Posts
My 2014 2.5 CVT Outback doesn't have an "engine heat needle" (temperature gauge).

Does anyone else have a temperature gauge in their 2.5 or 3.6?
Some 13-14 Outbacks have a temp gauge where the mpg gauge is. But I think it was only in the higher optioned models.

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,761 Posts
Let me decode the OP's question:

I notice that if I use the cabin heater during the warm-up period, the engine tends to boost RPM. It's like driving in a lower gear. If I turn off the heating system, the RPM drops to what I'd consider to be normal.

Answer:

Yes, this is "normal" behavior for this powertrain. The elevated RPM (like a lockout on shifting to a higher 'gear') has two purposes:

1) To accelerate the warming of coolant and CVT fluid.
2) To accelerate getting heat to the cabin.

I have found that you can't do much to influence this programming during the first minute or two at temperatures below 40'F. It's going to run at higher RPM for the good of the powertrain.

However, after the powertrain requirements have been satisfied, you can do one of two things to the manual climate control to return to a more economy-minded operation:

1) Turn the fan to zero. But this really cuts the cabin heat!

2) The better solution is to turn the temperature control down from max hot by a small amount. How much? Two clicks off max will do the trick at temps above about 32' F. Three clicks off max will do it even down to single digits after about 3 minutes of driving. You can turn the fan up to whatever you want with the temp control a little off max and be toasty warm, and still save some fuel with this method.

Reactions: rasterman
1 - 13 of 13 Posts