Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2012 3.6R Limited Pearl White Satin
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing that kept me from getting 2.5i OB is not the engine power, but the CVT. I think it is very noisy and annoying.
For our next car, I am planning to buy 2016/17 Forester non-turbo limited.

I read somewhere that the new gen (2014) Foresters have a different CVT and it is supposed to be quieter.
Has anyone own 2.5i OB driven or own the 2014 Forester? If you have, how is the CVT compared between those two? Thanks!

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
One thing that kept me from getting 2.5i OB is not the engine power, but the CVT. I think it is very noisy and annoying.
For our next car, I am planning to buy 2016/17 Forester non-turbo limited.

I read somewhere that the new gen (2014) Foresters have a different CVT and it is supposed to be quieter.
Has anyone own 2.5i OB driven or own the 2014 Forester? If you have, how is the CVT compared between those two? Thanks!
Makes sense that Subaru has perfected things with the CVT given all their products will have the CVT eventually. I'm sure very small changes to the physical CVT its self have been incorporated along with changes in sound insulation to the vehicles them selves. So doesn't surprise me at all. I would not assume that that 14 Forester CVT is magically different than a current build OB either. Given both will have more or less the same exact piece of machinery in them. The Beauty of all the drive by wire and computer managed systems today is that the same engine and transmission can be put in different vehicles and simply be given different computer code ie logic to create a different experience regarding performance, economy, power etc.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited Eyesight Lapis Blue Pearl
71 Posts
I believe the 2014 Forrester 2.5 and 2013 Outback is the same Gen 2 Lineartronic CVT. THE turbo Forrester XT uses a different "high torque" cvt.

I don't mind the cvt noise in my Outback at all. It supposedly is quieter than the 2010-2012 CVT.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe the 2014 Forrester 2.5 and 2013 Outback is the same Gen 2 Lineartronic CVT. THE turbo Forrester XT uses a different "high torque" cvt.

I don't mind the cvt noise in my Outback at all. It supposedly is quieter than the 2010-2012 CVT.
I was not too clear on my post. I was referring to 2011-12 2.5 OB, since I never drove 2013. I didnt know 2013 OB has new CVT, I might consider 2014 OB now.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
I recently drove a 2012 Legacy for a day and it wasn't the transmission that I found noisy, it was the engine! Those 2.5s haven't really improved a whole lot in that department, but maybe I'm just spoiled by my nearly silent H6.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I recently drove a 2012 Legacy for a day and it wasn't the transmission that I found noisy, it was the engine! Those 2.5s haven't really improved a whole lot in that department, but maybe I'm just spoiled by my nearly silent H6.
Yeah, I think the 2.5i engine is rough too, but the Master technician/engineer from SOA said it was the CVT. Well he is the expert, so I trust him ;)

·
Registered
2016 Legacy 3.6 w Eyesight
112 Posts
I don't think the EJ25 is that loud. Here is a video I made comparing Subie's EJ25 to Toyota's 3.5 V6. The results may be surprising.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nwmCM3IWjhk?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,348 Posts
I still don't understand the CVT noise.

But then my previous cars were a 2001 Jeep and a '77 Nova with a hole in the firewall...

·
Registered
40 Posts
we just got a outback and we did test the forester as well. I personally can not figure out the difference noise wise of the transmission. I think they both are noisy especially when pulling away from red light.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I don't think the EJ25 is that loud. Here is a video I made comparing Subie's EJ25 to Toyota's 3.5 V6. The results may be surprising.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nwmCM3IWjhk?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
At idle, I don't think they're too bad...when they're revved a little, though, even the brand new ones are too loud for my taste.

It'd be interesting to measure decibels inside the cabin at various engine speeds on the 2.5 vs 3.0/3.6. I'd be willing to bet the difference is dramatic.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You probably are spoiled by a nice quiet 6 cylinder. Compared to other 4/5 cylinders, at least the 2.5 is one of the quieter ones. I'm betting the 3.0 and 3.6 will be quieter than the 2.5 at most engine speeds, but the difference will be less the higher you go. I love the unique sound of the 2.5. I also like the sound of VWs 2.5 5 cylinder too.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
You probably are spoiled by a nice quiet 6 cylinder. Compared to other 4/5 cylinders, at least the 2.5 is one of the quieter ones. I'm betting the 3.0 and 3.6 will be quieter than the 2.5 at most engine speeds, but the difference will be less the higher you go. I love the unique sound of the 2.5. I also like the sound of VWs 2.5 5 cylinder too.
That's probably it. I've always had 6s...before the Outbacks I had a Maxima with a VQ30DE in it, and while not quite as quiet as the Outback it was still super quiet and smooth for a V6.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm in the "what noise" camp. The only transmission related noise I hear is a faint whining. All other drive train noises sound exactly like my 07 2.5.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, My aunt has a 2012 OB and I don.t notice much noise. I am looking at the 13 or 14' and read that the engine is changed for those years and is supposed to be quieter.

Cars101 says "New 2013 Outback features include: new 2.5L engine with timing chain, slight more power, EPA rating at 24/30 MPG, 2nd generation CVT."

new for 2013 Outback and Legacy, a new 2.5L 4 cylinder engine- notice the oil filter on the top. 0w-20 synthetic oil required. This engine was first used in the 2011 Forester.

> new 2.5L engine: improved economy +1mpg, and slightly more power. The new 2.5L engine was first used in the 2011 Forester. It's a DOHC (double overhead cam) with a little more power- 173hp vs170hp and 174lb-ft of torque vs 170lb-ft at 4100rpm, and a timing chain with no scheduled replacement instead of a timing belt with a 105,000 mile replacement. Fuel economy with the 2.5L and CVT is up 1 MPG to 24/30/26 city/highway/combined.
The 3.6L engine remains the same with no changes.
> new CVT- 2nd generation CVT is lighter, quieter, more responsive than the 1st version used from 2010-2012. The 3.6L 5 speed automatic remains the same

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,284 Posts
That's probably it. I've always had 6s...before the Outbacks I had a Maxima with a VQ30DE in it, and while not quite as quiet as the Outback it was still super quiet and smooth for a V6.
If you're talking abt the same engine as the 2000 Nissan Maxima, I thought they were super quiet until one day I have the Hood open with the engine running. That engine is LOUD. Nissan did a great Job with the sound isolation on this Maxima. The minute you shut the hood, WOw, You can hardly hear the engine in the cabin.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts