Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the Subaru Facebook page revealed a picture of the new 2014 Forester Timeline Photos | Facebook and here's the pic

It looks good, but I'm a little disappointed how similar it is to the Toyota Rav 4. The BRZ partnership was one thing but now the partnership/partial ownership looks to be carried over to other Subaru models.

What do you guys think about the new Forester?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Ok this is pretty sweet. I'm still willing to bet the H6 won't be around much longer. Also the manual is not for the Turbo!

The fourth generation of Subaru’s popular Forester will offer a new 2.0-liter direct-injection turbocharged BOXER<SUP>®</SUP> engine producing 250 horsepower. The standard naturally aspirated 2.5-liter BOXER engine debuted in the outgoing Forestermodel. Fuel economy will be higher across the line with the debut of a new six-speed manual transmission and available Lineartronic<SUP>®</SUP> continuously variable transmissions (CVT).

<TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184; mso-padding-alt: 0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-border-insideh: .5pt solid windowtext; mso-border-insidev: .5pt solid windowtext" class=MsoNormalTable border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 96.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=129>Transmission<U9:p</U9:p<O:p</O:p

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 346.1pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=461>2.5-liter models: 6-speed manual or Lineartronic CVT<U9:p</U9:p<O:p</O:p</B>
2.0-liter turbo: high-torque CVT with 6-speed and 8-speed manual modes and Hill Descent Control<U9:p</U9:p<O:p</O:p

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><U9:p</U9:p</B><O:p</O:p

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tob, those two pictures look a lot better, hope it ends up looking more like that. Especially the bumper and wheels. I've been holding out on the XV Crosstrek depending on how the new Forester looks. I've read the CVT will make it's way into the new Forester.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Ok this is pretty sweet. I'm still willing to bet the H6 won't be around much longer. Also the manual is not for the Turbo!

The fourth generation of Subaru’s popular Forester will offer a new 2.0-liter direct-injection turbocharged BOXER<SUP>®</SUP> engine producing 250 horsepower. The standard naturally aspirated 2.5-liter BOXER engine debuted in the outgoing Forestermodel. Fuel economy will be higher across the line with the debut of a new six-speed manual transmission and available Lineartronic<SUP>®</SUP> continuously variable transmissions (CVT).

[

Sweet... 2.0 Boxer turbo with 250HP....I wonder what is the MPG and MSRP?
Premium fuel required?
how is the DI technology now? are they reliable yet?
pano moonroof? Or the Crash/safety test Kills it!
How's the rearview visibility?
VEry nice cars!!!! Forester >>>> RAv4 anytime!!!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts

<TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184; mso-padding-alt: 0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-border-insideh: .5pt solid windowtext; mso-border-insidev: .5pt solid windowtext" class=MsoNormalTable border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 96.7pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=129>Transmission<U9:p</U9:p<O:p</O:p

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 346.1pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0in; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-left-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top width=461>2.5-liter models: 6-speed manual or Lineartronic CVT<U9:p</U9:p<O:p</O:p</B>
2.0-liter turbo: high-torque CVT with 6-speed and 8-speed manual modes and Hill Descent Control<U9:p</U9:p<O:p</O:p

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><U9:p</U9:p</B><O:p</O:p
Derated version of the 2L di turbo engine they are working on for the BRZ

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
tob, those two pictures look a lot better, hope it ends up looking more like that. Especially the bumper and wheels. I've been holding out on the XV Crosstrek depending on how the new Forester looks. I've read the CVT will make it's way into the new Forester.
XV with the new 2L DI turbo engine would be interesting

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Sure, if +eyesight,
To good to be true?
I never consider fun cars - fun when they are packed full of systems like eyesight.

For a family daily hauler where the texting mom or teen needs a second pair or eyes watching the road sure. For and adult who would use the XV as his cheap adventure car bouncing down dirt roads to fishing holes or hiking trails No thanks just another thing to break as your rattling down a logging road at 40mph

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Agree, looks just like a Rav4, boring! The new Forester should be perfect for driving to the mall.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I didn't realize there were a difference between the cars in the pictures.
After reading the text in the article, the blue one will sell in the USMarket while the red and silver is for ROW. It also looks like the Forester finally will be delivered with LED DRLs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We just took delivery (2wks ago) of my wife's new Crosstrek. After seeing this today, we are glad we didn't wait for the Forester. We traded in her Tribecca for the Crosstrek. In our opinion Subaru is placing the Forester in position to replace the Tribecca, that never sold well. Higher end, high scale crossover SUV. The new Crosstrek, positioned to be what the original Forester was, all those years ago. I don't think that is a bad strategy. Forester has great name recognition, the Crosstrek is going to be a great, and fun, entry level crossover. But, that is just my opinion.......

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
We just took delivery (2wks ago) of my wife's new Crosstrek. After seeing this today, we are glad we didn't wait for the Forester. We traded in her Tribecca for the Crosstrek. In our opinion Subaru is placing the Forester in position to replace the Tribecca, that never sold well. Higher end, high scale crossover SUV. The new Crosstrek, positioned to be what the original Forester was, all those years ago. I don't think that is a bad strategy. Forester has great name recognition, the Crosstrek is going to be a great, and fun, entry level crossover. But, that is just my opinion.......
LOL the Forester has always been the boxy SUV looking twin to the Impreza wagon

Even the new one is just a boxy looking twin to the Impreza 5door which is what you purchased in essentially Outback trim.

If Subaru were to position the Forester to be their large platform ie bigger than the Outback which would mean Subaru's alternative to the Toyota Highlander they would have never bothered to redesign it on the Impreza platform.

So regardless of your perception the new Forester owners basically own your Crosstrek XV in the larger square body form thats it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think the red and silver are the Turbo? The blue is the 2.5. I think it looks great. I am a bit disappointed it's larger, even though it's not much bigger....

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
The fourth generation of Subaru’s popular Forester will offer a new 2.0-liter direct-injection turbocharged BOXER<SUP>®</SUP> engine producing 250 horsepower.

doesn't the current Forester XT (2.5 with a turbo) get ~250 HP too!
I would say it the new 2.0 DI turbo get the same HP, that pretty good!
wonder if the MPG improves?

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
About this Discussion
96 Replies
38 Participants
bensu
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing