Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2015 3.6r ltd nav/moonroof
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hope they don,t design the 2014 outback to look anything like the forester.....yuck/yuck.......front is ugly and the rear is common...i plan to trade in my 2012 for the 2014 outback,but if it looks anything like the forester...forget about it........

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
They won't redesign the OB until 2015. They have been on a 5 year cycle for a while now.

I doubt it will look too much like the Forester, they need to keep them set apart somehow, but it will likely be influenced by the current design on mainstream cars. More than anything I look for them to offer alot more options with the limited trim to try to keep some customers looking to upgrade.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
951 Posts
Aerodynamics and crash testing dictate a fair amount what car look like today...I like the Forester, but I think it's more due to the utility and drivetrain than the looks.

·
Registered
814 Posts
i hope they don,t design the 2014 outback to look anything like the forester.....yuck/yuck.......front is ugly and the rear is common...i plan to trade in my 2012 for the 2014 outback,but if it looks anything like the forester...forget about it........
Just curious, it's really none of my business. As I've been on countless automotive forums, owned several cars & trucks over the span of over a decade, but what I don't understand fully is the Outback "Trade-In" phonomenon. I keep reading here where it seems like every week or so, I read where someone has traded their one or two year old Outback in for yet another? I've never seen or heard of this phonomenon with any other forum or brand of vehicle I've owned.

I thought these car where designed and known to last well over a decade and 200K+ miles or more? does something break or wear out around the one to two year mark of ownership that makes one just keep recycling perfectly good cars for yet another of the same?

Anyway, back on topic I fully agree the new Forester looks extremely ungainly in the front. I would have been the target market for the "Turbo & CVT" combination but the looks are down right dissapointing. I remember when the 2010 Outback debuted though and I said the same, the Outback has one of the ugliest front ends on a modern car but I still bought one anyway based off reccomendations, reliability, size, fuel economy and percieved re-sale value.

IMO Subaru should have already killed off the Tribeca line by now and moved the Forester up market to a 4Runner, X-Terra size & type vehicle or Highlander at the very least. It should offer a real 3rd row, low range 4WD, and possible a boxer diesel. I feel like the current Outback is filling the rugged CUV spot in the current lineup making the Forester redundant, more so now that the XV is on sale. Or perhaps Subaru will split the Outback from the Legacy chassis with the next generation and move it to a larger SUV type vehicle?

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts

counter to soobie doobie, i am actually thinking about trading my '13 OB for the '14 FXT. i had an '04 FXT prior, and am thinking i like the smaller size and nimbleness of the FXT. we'll see when it becomes available and i can test drive it.

·
Registered
814 Posts
counter to soobie doobie, i am actually thinking about trading my '13 OB for the '14 FXT. i had an '04 FXT prior, and am thinking i like the smaller size and nimbleness of the FXT. we'll see when it becomes available and i can test drive it.
I plan on at least test driving the Turbo/ CVT combo just out of curiosity. I hope it runs on 87 too and not premium. I definately miss the hood scoop on the current FXT. Kind of hard to tell the turbo version from the regular models on the new one.

As a '13 WRX owner, I'm also patiently waiting to see what Subaru does with the '14 WRX to see if that is worth selling my '13 model for. Truthfully the perfect car for me would be a white XV with turbo and manual transmission. IMO the XV is currently the nicest looking Subaru in the entire lineup, it's only missing a lot more power.

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free
1,220 Posts
I plan on at least test driving the Turbo/ CVT combo just out of curiosity. I hope it runs on 87 too and not premium. I definately miss the hood scoop on the current FXT. Kind of hard to tell the turbo version from the regular models on the new one.

As a '13 WRX owner, I'm also patiently waiting to see what Subaru does with the '14 WRX to see if that is worth selling my '13 model for. Truthfully the perfect car for me would be a white XV with turbo and manual transmission. IMO the XV is currently the nicest looking Subaru in the entire lineup, it's only missing a lot more power.
How can you miss that front bumper treatment??

·
Registered
814 Posts
How can you miss that front bumper treatment??
It's such a snoooooooooooooozzzzzz mobile the average person couldn't tell you wich one is the turbo or the standard model. At least with the current one the hood scoop clearly lets everyone know this is the more powerful version of the car.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
....., but what I don't understand fully is the Outback "Trade-In" phonomenon. I keep reading here where it seems like every week or so, I read where someone has traded their one or two year old Outback in for yet another? I've never seen or heard of this phonomenon with any other forum or brand of vehicle I've owned.
.....As a '13 WRX owner, I'm also patiently waiting to see what Subaru does with the '14 WRX to see if that is worth selling my '13 model for.......

?????? I don't fully understand either.:rolleyes:;)

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
I am buying an OB or now checking out the 14 Forester in a few months when the 14 OB comes out. I could care less about looks of the Forester because it looks good enough. I love our OB and plan to sell my M3 and buy a new OB or Forester with turbo once they come out. Either the 3.6L OB or the turbo Forester will work for us. I have the opporunity to drive a 12 Forester and it is nice ride but nothing as nice as our OB however the Forester in 14 is to be seen.
What a couple of nice choices. Oh and saw the Sante Fe Sport that Hyundia has which is also a nice ride...decisions decisions...

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
781 Posts
Just looks like another Toyota RAV/Highlander or one of the Hyundai AlbuquerqueTaosPueblo/Kia Concertina Mid-Size SUVs overgrown CUVs.

I too, thought the OB was fug when I bought it, but nowhere near as heinous as the dreaded Aztek.

Suprised at the reaction towards the new Forester. They are so innocuous that they all look the same from version to version just like the RAV.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OB calling Forester ugly? seriously?
it is like Aztek calling Prius ugly...
totally agree,however if i owned a 2013 forester which i think is ok looking, i would still say the 2014 forester is fugly, no matter how you look at it.....

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
I guess Subaru is lucky you are not designing cars for them. The newly designed Forester is selling more than four times the initial monthly sales target.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
really??

I guess Subaru is lucky you are not designing cars for them. The newly designed Forester is selling more than four times the initial monthly sales target.

Subaru of America, which has 600 U.S. dealers and is based in Cherry Hill, N.J., is owned by Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. of Japan. Assembly of some Subaru models, including the popular Outback, is done in Lafayette, Ind., while other models, including the 5-passenger Forester SUV and the Impreza, are produced in Japan.

Three other models recorded double-digit gains last month: the Legacy sedan, the Outback wagon and the rally-inspired Impreza WRX. Declines were posted for the Forester, which has been redesigned for the upcoming 2014 model, and the Tribeca, a seven-seat SUV
looks like a decline to me....where are your fiures from......

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
Subaru of America, which has 600 U.S. dealers and is based in Cherry Hill, N.J., is owned by Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. of Japan. Assembly of some Subaru models, including the popular Outback, is done in Lafayette, Ind., while other models, including the 5-passenger Forester SUV and the Impreza, are produced in Japan.

Three other models recorded double-digit gains last month: the Legacy sedan, the Outback wagon and the rally-inspired Impreza WRX. Declines were posted for the Forester, which has been redesigned for the upcoming 2014 model, and the Tribeca, a seven-seat SUV
looks like a decline to me....where are your fiures from......
If you are looking at SOA, you are not looking at the new Forester. SOA is still selling the old design. The new design Forester is currently selling in Japan as a 2013, which is where they beating forecasts. You need to look at the JDM numbers. The new design will come out here as a 2014 MY. After that you can look at SOA numbers.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
951 Posts
MAybe the declining numbers represent declining stock.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts