Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got see inside and out the new Forester. My dealer had one hidden in the back. A base 2.5. Its hard to pick from a 13 at a glance and once I saw it in profile it looked more like a older RAV 4 to me. Very Toyota looking. Inside I would be hard pressed to guess if I was in the Impreza or CrossTrek. The one and only positive comment was it has a much more airy feel to it inside than the 13 model. the A pillar plastic was poor fitting and although the dash is soft touch the window sills seemed like plastic. If I was on a budget I would buy a discounted 13 in base or premium trim over the 14 unless you love CVT's and probably in real world driving a couple more MPG'S. The turbo model offers a little more bling on the outside with suspension and engine upgrades this is the model to buy. But at almost 30k for a premium with some options it's expensive. the XT Touring is pushing mid 30's. Without driving one I would pass on the 2.5 i models and go for the XT in a couple of years.

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
SOA was at the USNWC yesterday and had a real purdy EyeSight equipped 2014 Forester out there for everyone to check out. The rear lift gate thingy was interesting. Not sure I'd care about that one way or the other.

Started showing up at dealers this past week.

Be on the lookout for a hybrid Crosstrek real-soon-like.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium CVT, AWP, Steel Silver
826 Posts
I really, really, really, quite badly want to trade my OB on a Forester XT.
Since I got a used F150 for my utility needs, I could downsize with no problem.
I want one.
The wife will de-nut me if I so much as bring it up.
dammit.

·
Registered
Forester - 1999, Outback 2.0D - 2010, Mazda MX-5 Miata - 2014.
129 Posts
Forester 2.0 XT on winter test in Norway, demonstrating X-mode.

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free
1,220 Posts
I did not find the new Forester to be nearly as comfortable as the new OB '13. The OB has different seat cushions or something now. Very nice. Still prefer my 2012 overall.

Diesel Crosstrek would be interesting, hybrid, not so much.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forester 2.0 XT on winter test in Norway, demonstrating X-mode.
FORESTERLIVE ????#4 ????? ?????????? - YouTube
X mode looks like a nice feature to enhance the AWD functionality. It almost reminds of Honda's VTM lock function on Pilot and older MDX's but X- mode is more advanced, too bad you have to purchase a limited or touring in the 2.5 models. I think both XT models have it but the touring for sure.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited Eyesight Lapis Blue Pearl
71 Posts
I was absolutely sure we were going o replace our '06 Forrester with the '14, but once we sat in the '13 Outback we knew we didn't need to wait to get our new Subaru. I do wish our Outback had x-mode and the powered rear lift gate. But unless things start to fail, our Outback is perfect.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The Forrester felt more utilitarian when compared to the Outback. I sat in both the 13 and 14 and the difference did not seem too great. The Forrester felt more like my CRV. Not a bad thing just less refined the the Outback. JMHO

·
Registered
232 Posts
I really, really, really, quite badly want to trade my OB on a Forester XT.
Since I got a used F150 for my utility needs, I could downsize with no problem.
I want one.
The wife will de-nut me if I so much as bring it up.
dammit.
Actually, you would not be downsizing. Check the numbers and you'll find the 2014 Forester is roomier than the Outback.

Keep the F150, get the Forester and keep them nuts!

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,072 Posts
My dealer had '14 Foresters when I was there last Sat. (3/9) for a car wash. VERY hard to distinguish the '14 from the '13 from the side unless you look closely.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium CVT, AWP, Steel Silver
826 Posts
Actually, you would not be downsizing. Check the numbers and you'll find the 2014 Forester is roomier than the Outback.

Keep the F150, get the Forester and keep them nuts!

LOL!
Easier said than done but you got me thinking.

·
Registered
DBA-BRF EZ36D SAP
16 Posts
Actually, that is not entirely true.
Following is an excerpt of some vehicle comparisons I made before purchasing the OB. Source: Edmunds.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Actually, that is not entirely true.
Following is an excerpt of some vehicle comparisons I made before purchasing the OB. Source: Edmunds.

Yes and no...

Without the moonroof, the Forester has more room (74.7 cubic feet) but if you want the XT, then correct, you lose some over the OBW because you can't delete the moonroof option.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Now, we can bury the Diesel powered Subaru in North America... Sad, very sad !
;-) -- I do recall mentioning that with Subaru and Toyota some what tied to each other probably a good change Subaru would go Hybrid path long - long before diesel.

Toyota will also influence this given they have dumped piles and piles of money into creating the hybrid market in the US and if they can influence other makers to not do diesel I bet they would.

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
Now, we can bury the Diesel powered Subaru in North America... Sad, very sad !
According to the SOA guy, this is just the token hybrid. "Everyone has to have one." He said.

So, don't lose out hope yet.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
618 Posts
The US market is just not diesel friendly. Not surprised in the least to see a hybrid sold here well before they offer a diesel. Especially if the hybrid gets similar mileage on a more popular fuel choice...

I'd like a diesel, but if Subaru is in the business of selling vehicles rather than making what a vocal few prefer, they made the correct decision.

·
Registered
2012 OB 2.5i Ltd, CVT Ruby Red Pearl, Moonroof Pkg/NO Nav/Puddle Lights/110v Pwr Outlet/Body Side Molding/Rear Bumper Cvr
189 Posts
Has anyone had a chance to test drive the '14 Forester as of yet?

Just wondering how it actually handles & feels on the road.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts