Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you go with the OEM Subaru front pads or opt of a fancy ceramic brake pads for 2014 Outback with MT?

I currently have 62000 miles and the rear brake pads were replaced and rotor turned at the dealer.

What are your thoughts and / or recommendations on ceramic pads?

Thanks

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i
24 Posts
any of the aftermarket brands would be good (e.g. powerstop, hawk, ebc). one thing to keep in mind though is that you may encounter brake noise. its not always the case, but because ceramic pads are more aggressive, they can be more noisy. its hit or miss, no way to know until you have them installed. to minimize the chances of this, make sure you install them on a freshly machined rotor or if you're going with new rotors, make sure its thoroughly cleaned (using brake cleaner) to make sure you've removed as much grease/dust off the mating surfaces. If you're going to use machined rotors, I always recommend getting a fine grit sandpaper and just going over the surface to remove any imperfections on the surface to ensure a smooth clean rotor face. I've found this helps reduce possible noise as well.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,345 Posts
for decades I think, stock have been Akebono ceramic.

I find the Centric PosiQuiet Ceramic to be as good for less $ on our 03 OBW.

if you actually do 'spirited' driving, there are of course pad upgrades, but they may be a waste of money unless you run stickier tires.

many, many threads about brakes - do a search?

Approximately half of all vehicles rolling off the assembly line are manufactured with Akebono brakes. Akebono has approximately 40% of the Original Equimpent market and is factory installed on 350+ models. It is our innate understanding of vehicle dynamics and braking requirements that enable us to provide the best brake solution for any vehicle, and it is what has made Akebono the largest OE brake provider in North America.

-----------------snip--------------------

Akebono Brake Products: Trusted by Original Equipment Manufacturers Worldwide

Akebono's OEM customers include: General Motors, Ford Motor Company, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Mitsubishi Motors, Mazda, Nissan, Subaru and Isuzu. Akebono is proud to provide innovative braking solutions for these manufacturers, and we back our products with unparalleled service and support.
http://akebonobrakes.com/OEM

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,819 Posts
Unsure what the OE composition is, but many vehicles come equipped from the factory with ceramic pads; evidenced by the low dust buildup on the wheels.
(I can't imagine any OEM is organic or asbestos pads anymore)
Someone on this board likely knows what the OE is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gotcha and thanks!

any of the aftermarket brands would be good (e.g. powerstop, hawk, ebc). one thing to keep in mind though is that you may encounter brake noise. its not always the case, but because ceramic pads are more aggressive, they can be more noisy. its hit or miss, no way to know until you have them installed. to minimize the chances of this, make sure you install them on a freshly machined rotor or if you're going with new rotors, make sure its thoroughly cleaned (using brake cleaner) to make sure you've removed as much grease/dust off the mating surfaces. If you're going to use machined rotors, I always recommend getting a fine grit sandpaper and just going over the surface to remove any imperfections on the surface to ensure a smooth clean rotor face. I've found this helps reduce possible noise as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts