Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would do a write-up about my experience in upgrading the audio system in my 2014 Outback Limited.

First, I replaced the stock radio with a Pioneer DMH-C2550NEX. I am very pleased with this model, but if I had the money, I think I would look for one with wireless android auto. It is sort of annoying plugging your phone in every time you get in. Just a minor inconvenience. A couple things with this install. First of all, I could not get the backup camera to work. It turns out that the wiring harness did not match up with the factory harness at the camera wire. I consulted a crutchfield tech who found the solution in a forum. We swapped the 13 and 15 pin and the camera was working. Second, I added a Sirius XM tuner to the head unit because I had a subscription already. Rather than run the new antenna that came with the Sirius tuner, I shaved the plastic flange off of the existing satellite antenna and then it fit into the new tuner. No need to run the new antenna wire. I had to secure it with electrical tape, but its working fine.

Next, I replaced the factory "subwoofer" with a Kicker CompC 44CWCD84 8" Dual 4-ohm Component Subwoofer. I wanted to keep everything as clean as possible in the back and supposedly this speaker is made to work without an enclosure. I had to drill some new holes in the speaker bracket; installation was easy. I then mounted a Rockford Fosgate R2-250X1 250-Watt Mono Amplifier to the inside of the outer sheetmetal of the car, so its totally hidden behind the interior trim/carpet of the trunk. Everything looks completely factory. I ran the sub inputs from the head unit instead of from the factory amplifier. Honestly, I'm not sure the sub and amp were worthwhile. It does make the bass sound more full, but without an enclosure its just not very punchy, in my opinion.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts