Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This started yesterday.

I have a 60 mile commute and on my way back I was in cruise control and it went off. I look and notice I lost my gear display which probably accounts for losing cruise. I fiddle with it, it won't come back on (e.g. clutch position, gear position.) A few minutes later it comes back but then disappears. Does this the whole way home.

This morning the same thing, but got worse. By my trip home I was not showing any gears constantly, rough episodes when accelerating, and a little sluggish. No dash lights.

About 20 miles in I slow down and it stalls. It does this again a while later.

I get home and as I pull in my E-Brake begins flashing and beeping, wont come off. Restarted and still flashing with no gear sign.

What should my next steps be? One other post from a while ago was relatively inconclusive. It seems to have gotten bad fast. Should I look for another car to commute with?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well you certainly cant commute like that. The lack of a check engine light is a bit baffling. My car was just sitting in parking lot running with the AC on no problem detected and I got a cly4 Miss fire code...

Anyway.
1) do you have a scan tool?
--- if yes: use it and see if you have any codes. Sometimes there's a code but no dash light.
--- if no: go to an auto parts store. Tell them a Check engine Light popped up and went away. Generally they can see stored codes.

Desperate? Got to a Stealership or local Import shop with Subaru experience.

I personally would disconnect the battery to reset the ECU. Do the idle relearn and go for a test drive. Life is tough on newer cars if not CEL( Check Engine Light) is present. My oldest Subaru is a 2011. So if things have changed someone else may chime in with more updated info. Hopefully this at least gives you a start. This is how I personally would approach this one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well you certainly cant commute like that. The lack of a check engine light is a bit baffling. My car was just sitting in parking lot running with the AC on no problem detected and I got a cly4 Miss fire code...

Anyway.
1) do you have a scan tool?
--- if yes: use it and see if you have any codes. Sometimes there's a code but no dash light.
--- if no: go to an auto parts store. Tell them a Check engine Light popped up and went away. Generally they can see stored codes.

Desperate? Got to a Stealership or local Import shop with Subaru experience.

I personally would disconnect the battery to reset the ECU. Do the idle relearn and go for a test drive. Life is tough on newer cars if not CEL( Check Engine Light) is present. My oldest Subaru is a 2011. So if things have changed someone else may chime in with more updated info. Hopefully this at least gives you a start. This is how I personally would approach this one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thank you. I will try to do the ECU reset via battery and try the drive again. Rental cars are obsolete in 2021... Thanks for the response!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts