Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 OB: Remote starter? (comments on iDataStart?)

I want to get a remote starter for my Outback. When I looked a couple of years ago, they were talking about multiple boxes, extra key, etc. Now they're not.

Around here (Ottawa ON) many of the RS guys sell the iDataStart series (HC1=1-way, HC2=2-way, HCX=uses factory keyfob). I can't find any serious reviews of this product, but it seems to be popular here (maybe it gets better distribution because the company is in Montreal, I dunno).

It's just one box plus antenna (except HCX), doesn't require an extra key, and as little as C$400 installed for the HC2. Does anyone have experience with the brand? I'm thinking of the HCX, so far I can lock/unlock the car in all the places I'd likely use it, so it should be capable of remote-starting it too. I'm not looking for a lot of features, primarily it's too start it on cold days so it gets that 1-minute warmup (assuming it's still a good idea on these cars) and in case I'm scraping ice, which goes a lot faster once the window starts to warm from the inside. I'd be more tempted by the HC1/HC2 if it didn't mean another bulky thing on my ring.

Any advice on these starters, and on installers in Ottawa (I found one who presents himself well :) ) will be appreciated.

Thanks!
=andrew

·
Registered
3 Posts
2014 OB: Remote starter? (comments on iDataStart?)

I want to get a remote starter for my Outback. When I looked a couple of years ago, they were talking about multiple boxes, extra key, etc. Now they're not.

Around here (Ottawa ON) many of the RS guys sell the iDataStart series (HC1=1-way, HC2=2-way, HCX=uses factory keyfob). I can't find any serious reviews of this product, but it seems to be popular here (maybe it gets better distribution because the company is in Montreal, I dunno).

It's just one box plus antenna (except HCX), doesn't require an extra key, and as little as C$400 installed for the HC2. Does anyone have experience with the brand? I'm thinking of the HCX, so far I can lock/unlock the car in all the places I'd likely use it, so it should be capable of remote-starting it too. I'm not looking for a lot of features, primarily it's too start it on cold days so it gets that 1-minute warmup (assuming it's still a good idea on these cars) and in case I'm scraping ice, which goes a lot faster once the window starts to warm from the inside. I'd be more tempted by the HC1/HC2 if it didn't mean another bulky thing on my ring.

Any advice on these starters, and on installers in Ottawa (I found one who presents himself well :) ) will be appreciated.

Thanks!
=andrew
I just set mine in for a remote start, turns out the 14 had one on it unknowingly to anyone. Local shop fried the dash wiring harness, getting replaced at their expense. Check with your local dealership and make sure that you don’t have a factory remote start.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.