Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 OBW 3.6R Limited, 1997 OBW 2.5L Auto (sold, but not forgotten), and 1991 Ford F150
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about trading in my 97OB for a 2013/2014OB, but read something disturbing today on another forum about towing capacity :

2013 Forester TC: 2400 lbs
2014 Forester TC: 1500 lbs

Supposedly, the reduction in TC is because of a new SAE standard:
“Performance Requirements for Determining Tow-Vehicle Gross Combination Weight Rating and Trailer Weight Rating"

My fear, of course, is that the 2014OB TC will suffer the same fate. Does anybody have any knowledge or insight about this issue? TIA.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,127 Posts
An SAE downgrade won't make the vehicle behave any differently. We already know how much it can tow. Heck, in some countries the 4th gen Outback is rated to tow up to 4,400 pounds!

I have towed with every car I have owned, and the Outback is the highest rated of them all. I make sure my car and trailer are safe, and I drive with appropriate caution.

·
Registered
2014 OBW 3.6R Limited, 1997 OBW 2.5L Auto (sold, but not forgotten), and 1991 Ford F150
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An SAE downgrade won't make the vehicle behave any differently. We already know how much it can tow. Heck, in some countries the 4th gen Outback is rated to tow up to 4,400 pounds!

I have towed with every car I have owned, and the Outback is the highest rated of them all. I make sure my car and trailer are safe, and I drive with appropriate caution.
Yeah, I know. But for insurance and legal reasons, I want to remain within the stated limits.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,103 Posts
You forget that 2014 sees the redesign of the Forester. There could be something in the design change that also causes the reduction in the rating.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts