Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!!! My home town dealer can’t figure this out and no small shop wants to touch it.

I have a 2014 Outback limited 3.6 that I bought used last year. About 2 months after owning it, wife noticed that intermittently the dynamic control light,(car with skid mark symbol), would flash and she couldn’t go any faster than 45-50. No rhyme or reason when this happens. It can be days, weeks and hours apart between incidents.

I ran a module check and under the TPMS module I found a DTC code 61 “speed abnormal”. The dealer claimed they could never get a code, nor could they duplicate it but they did experience it after having my car a total of 6 weeks only to return it saying “we can’t figure it out.”

Any ideas would be helpful?

PS, this is happening in dry conditions. Nothing weather related or slick surfaces.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
13,988 Posts
Tire size and pressures have to match, including tread depth

Check the wheel bearings. If one is going bad it effects the speed sensor feedback.

Look at the wheel speed sensor wires for cracks, tears or exposed wires.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,257 Posts
need to verify data integrity from the steering angle sensor and the yaw rate sensors as well...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I tested my abs speed sensors with a multi-meter. Most videos I saw stated to test the sensors by ohms. Most said I should read 0.000 to 0.0001 for good. All tested fine except the right rear was an open loop. I changed the back sensors, the front were changed by the dealer in their attempt to fix. I guess the hub assembly will be the next check. What am I looking for with the hubs?? I’m so frustrated I’m tempted to just change all four hub assemblies and see what happens🙄

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I tested my abs speed sensors with a multi-meter. Most videos I saw stated to test the sensors by ohms. Most said I should read 0.000 to 0.0001 for good. All tested fine except the right rear was an open loop. I changed the back sensors, the front were changed by the dealer in their attempt to fix. I guess the hub assembly will be the next check. What am I looking for with the hubs?? I’m so frustrated I’m tempted to just change all four hub assemblies and see what happens🙄. Issue still not fixed after changing sensors.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
13,988 Posts
The easy way to check the bearings is to get the wheels off the ground and with one hand on the spring spin the wheel with the other. If the bearing is bad you will feel it in the spring.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ran my scanner after my wife experienced another event yesterday where while driving. the symbol with the car and squiggly lines started flashing Again,(it’s been 3 days since I changed the sensors and 6 days since the last event.) the car appears to not allow acceleration above 40-50mph. I did a module check using my innova pro scanner and picked up a code 61 “speed abnormal”. I cleared it this time just to make sure it’s not an old code. I’ll rescan if another event happens.

I’ll check the wheel bearings this weekend. Keep the feed back. Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today I checked each hub by lifting each wheel, spinning it and listening and feeling for anything wrong. I even put my stethoscope again each spring and nothing. The trigger of this event is very random. Hub assembly seem fine.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,257 Posts
data log all 4 wheel sensors and output sensor of the transmission

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, ill see if I can do that with my Innova Pro Scanner. Otherwise I may have to buy one capable of doing that. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
my guess is you are going to have 1 wheel sensor dropping out

1 - 15 of 15 Posts