Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am new to the forum, have had Subarus before, and am looking at purchasing another (Outback) soon. I was all ready to commit to the 2013 limited 2.5i with the special appearance package, when I looked into the 2014 Forester. The 2013 Outback has everything I would want, including an attractive brown leather interior, except a power liftgate and panoramic sunroof. I see the 2014 Forester is offered with these features so I'm wondering if I should wait to see if the 2014 Outback will too. I really like the brown leather interior offered in the special appearance package and was told by a dealer that this package wouldn't be offered for 2014. I wonder if anyone has had experience with after market leather and/or has any other pearls to offer on my purchase dilemma. My current car is operating fine so I'm in no hurry to purchase.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
If your current car is fine then its always best to just wait. I kinda doubt the 14 OB will have a lift gate and the small options changes they might offer with it will be pretty minor.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
I would be surprised to see them dump the SAP option. It seems to be a hot seller.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Regarding aftermarket leather seating. The quality aftermarket leather seat covers are generally much higher quality material than what the auto maker sells with the car to start with. For giggles if you were to do the aftermarket leather change your self it would cost you around $1300 to put custom your choice color - stitching pattern etc. Not really a big deal

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,437 Posts
I would be surprised to see them dump the SAP option. It seems to be a hot seller.
OP seems to have mentioned a specific interest in it to the dealer. So naturally the dealer says "Hmm, yeah they might discontinue that" to light the fire. BUY NOW. BUY NOW. CONSUME! If the OP doesn't buy now and the kit isn't discontinued, there's no real harm done- the salesman isn't going to get in any kind of trouble.

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
I look at it this way:

You can always wait. There will ALWAYS be something better just around the corner. So you either wait for something that may or may not be. Or you get something that fits 95% of your needs and start enjoying that something now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, all very useful information. I had heard 2015 would be the time for "big" changes so maybe that complicates my dilemma, but Tom28 brings up an excellent point about getting a car now that pretty much fits your bill rather than putting off on a hope. That said, since you are all very insightful, let me give you a few more details: my current car is a 2005 BMW 325i, the reasons I am replacing it: lifestyle has changed, need improved fuel efficiency (nevermind the fact that I'm saving money with regular vs premium gas), need hatch with fold down rear seats for cargo, need AWD. I really would like all these things now as opposed to waiting until 2015 for the possibility of a power liftgate. It does however make sense to me to wait until the 2014s come out for two reasons: 1. maybe they will add the power liftgate 2. probably gives me more price leverage with 2013s. Thoughts?

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Subaru avoids over supply has done an exceptional job at this for a long time now. So don't expect deep discounts on the random 13's still sitting around especially in todays market where used car prices are sky rocketing and keeping the new car prices really stable.

Best thing is to go find the right combo of options and color you want - then target Invoice price use Edmunds.com pricing details to run your numbers. By the way Bluebook, NADA and AutoTrader.com all are owned by the same group and their prices are always favored in the sellers direction ie run on the high side.

Watch out for dealers owned by large Autogroups they walk the fine line of price fixing for a given region by setting the price for a car at all their dealers in the region. California is the worst for this. I'm waiting to see if the CA Attorney General starts going after our Massive Auto group owned dealer networks for price fixing. It's pretty blatant from what I saw last summer during my used car search for two family members.

·
Registered
2012, Outback, 3.6R
134 Posts
Another consideration: The last rev of a model before redesign is often much more reliable than the first rev AFTER redesign. The idea is that all the bugs have been worked out. Example: 2010 vs 2012 OB steering shake

Thanks, all very useful information. I had heard 2015 would be the time for "big" changes so maybe that complicates my dilemma, but Tom28 brings up an excellent point about getting a car now that pretty much fits your bill rather than putting off on a hope. That said, since you are all very insightful, let me give you a few more details: my current car is a 2005 BMW 325i, the reasons I am replacing it: lifestyle has changed, need improved fuel efficiency (nevermind the fact that I'm saving money with regular vs premium gas), need hatch with fold down rear seats for cargo, need AWD. I really would like all these things now as opposed to waiting until 2015 for the possibility of a power liftgate. It does however make sense to me to wait until the 2014s come out for two reasons: 1. maybe they will add the power liftgate 2. probably gives me more price leverage with 2013s. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,861 Posts
I look at it this way:

You can always wait. There will ALWAYS be something better just around the corner. So you either wait for something that may or may not be. Or you get something that fits 95% of your needs and start enjoying that something now.
...so true. It is always about one year after you buy your nice, brand spankin' new car that the new one comes out with what you would really like to have in options....argh...lol.

By then the depreciation hit on your car makes it impractical to try and trade up...argh..again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Once again, all really good points, proving what I already knew, Subaru owners are really smart folks. Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
My guess is that the only changes we'll see for 2013 is the SAP options will become standard on Limited models. Maybe some color changes too. Other than that I think Subaru will hold out for the ground up redesign due in 2015.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Subaru also tends to cycle their big news through their models. So for example when you know hey are doing a big launch for say the Forester or Impreza the OB will not be seeing anything exciting regarding changes that model year.

The XV hybrid was just announced this week - fair guess the OB for 2014 won't see any notably news worthy changes. LOL

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
The XV hybrid was just announced this week - fair guess the OB for 2014 won't see any notably news worthy changes. LOL
I wonder how well hybrid will work on an Outback? From what I have seen most heavier cars with hybrid see a pretty small increase in gas mileage and certainly not enough to justify the higher price tag for the hybrid option. I know this technology is growing, but I think DI diesel would be more beneficial for the GVW of the Outback. Hybrid seems to only work on small, low GVW vehicles. My guess is the driveline load demand of AWD would eat hybrid batteries for breakfast. Will be interesting to see how it goes with the XV.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
I wonder how well hybrid will work on an Outback? From what I have seen most heavier cars with hybrid see a pretty small increase in gas mileage and certainly not enough to justify the higher price tag for the hybrid option. I know this technology is growing, but I think DI diesel would be more beneficial for the GVW of the Outback. Hybrid seems to only work on small, low GVW vehicles. My guess is the driveline load demand of AWD would eat hybrid batteries for breakfast. Will be interesting to see how it goes with the XV.
Depends on the typical use the vehicle sees. If the majority of all the Outback owners were spending all their time sitting in stop and go traffic and city street speeds the OB mileage average would for sure show a big gain with the hybrid version. However every time we do a big road trip a large percentage of the Subarus we see on the road are all Outbacks which case DI engine tech in the gas engines would arrive first in the US and give us a notable increase in mileage and possibly a bump in power. The diesel option would return a little better mileage but the current issue is would that bump in mileage off set the added cost that comes with diesel systems - fuel filters - larger oil capacity and in many states the higher diesel pump cost?

My neighbor dumped his VW TDI last summer for a New Ford Focus 5door he drives a huge amount of miles for work. Was fun to talk to him about what he was seeing. The TDI suffered some pretty major repair costs all related to diesel specific parts. The Ford Focus nearly matches the average fuel mileage he saw with the TDI however he pays less for the gas than the diesel at the pump and to his credit he figures a much lower ownership cost given the Focus probably won't have major Diesel related systems issues to fix.

I love diesel engines but till they build a rock solid clean diesel that returns mileage thats 10% better mileage or more than the DI gas engines we are seeing the numbers will be hard to justify the cost of the diesel.

However! If Toyota offered a TD Tacoma today that returned 30mpg and had the same towing and load capacity as their V6 gasser - they would fly off the shelves faster than they could build them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
So I'm finding every dealer in my area has the exact 2013 limited SAP 2.5i I'm "settling" for (would not be settling if it was brilliant brown pearl). Because there are lots of dealers and lots of cars, I'm getting some great pricing offers, yet I'm still reluctant to pull the trigger. It's the power lift gate, man I want that! If they put it in the Forester, and Ford has it in the Escape (with the foot thing), is it really unlikely I'll find that on a 2014 OB? Was 2014 the "big" year for Forester or was that considered a facelift? Should I wait 4 months to find out? Since there are so many 2013s with what I want, I find it hard to believe they will all be sold out from under me if I have nothing to gain with a 2014. What about after market power lift gate or seeing if Subaru can replace my door once they offer that on the OB?

·
Registered
234 Posts
So I'm finding every dealer in my area has the exact 2013 limited SAP 2.5i I'm "settling" for (would not be settling if it was brilliant brown pearl). Because there are lots of dealers and lots of cars, I'm getting some great pricing offers, yet I'm still reluctant to pull the trigger. It's the power lift gate, man I want that! If they put it in the Forester, and Ford has it in the Escape (with the foot thing), is it really unlikely I'll find that on a 2014 OB? Was 2014 the "big" year for Forester or was that considered a facelift? Should I wait 4 months to find out? Since there are so many 2013s with what I want, I find it hard to believe they will all be sold out from under me if I have nothing to gain with a 2014. What about after market power lift gate or seeing if Subaru can replace my door once they offer that on the OB?

I went from a 2012 to a 2013 same exact car and color. If you do a ton of mileage like my wife 25K plus a year get the 13, your miles will average lower for resale. If you keep a car till the cows come home again a 13 but if you run low miles and trade every few years then maybe a 14 would work for you. You have to look at the numbers. There was a BIG change between the 12 and 13. The CVT and the engine are completely different. The biggest change is the engine, what a difference. It's not just a chain vs belt, it's all new.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts