Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I hope someone knows about this. I was coming down a mountain during an ice storm and shifted into manual. Shifted down using the
paddle - and then road was ok so tried to shift up and it would not shift up. Automatic transmission seems fine. Shifting down in manual works
well. Anyone know if this is going to effect my trip? Will this cause my automatic transmission to go? I can live without the manual if
I have to. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
810 Posts
If the CVT behaves as it normally does when in auto mode, I'd say you don't really have anything to worry about for your trip.
Will the upshift paddles work if you switch to manual mode with the car stopped and then start moving?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I hope someone knows about this. I was coming down a mountain during an ice storm and shifted into manual. Shifted down using the
paddle - and then road was ok so tried to shift up and it would not shift up. Visit Autoguysland to review why manual transmission wont go into gear if you care. Automatic transmission seems fine. Shifting down in manual works
well. Anyone know if this is going to effect my trip? Will this cause my automatic transmission to go? I can live without the manual if
I have to. Thanks for any info.
There is an old thread related to your issue. You can view this for your reference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the CVT behaves as it normally does when in auto mode, I'd say you don't really have anything to worry about for your trip.
Will the upshift paddles work if you switch to manual mode with the car stopped and then start moving?
No, the up shift paddle does not work at all. Could this be anything simple? A solenoid? I would like to keep the car but if it is going to cost me thousands to fix it, I need to get another car. Until now, this car has been great. I am just over 100,000 miles so the warranty just ran out, of course. And I have another 8000 miles to go before I am back somewhere to get it fixed. 😐. The only thing that is different is that I had the fluids changed at 100,000 including the transmission fluid. Thank you for your help.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
12,168 Posts
My first question is where did you have the fluid in the CVT replaced and did they use the proper fluid? If they used a universal CVT fluid, you'll need to get that out of the CVT and put in the CVT fluid from Subaru. The universal fluids are crap in these units.

On the paddle shifters - It may be an issue with the clockspring in the steering wheel, the paddle shifter itself (as in dirt/debris is affecting the contacts), the TCM (unlikely) or it's within the valve body of the CVT. If it is internal to the CVT, you may still be able to get it covered by Subaru given you just hit 100k miles.

Other possibilities are the battery condition and cabling (battery cables). If the battery is weak or the cables are corroded it effects communication and the ability for the various switches on the car to work. Are there any other things on the car that is working odd?

I doubt whatever it is will cost thousands of dollars to repair. Even if it's the valve body in the CVT and it's not covered by Subaru, replacement is less than $800 depending on the shop that does it and their labor rates.

·
Registered
07 OBW 2.5i 4EAT; Eastern Ontario, Canada
16,533 Posts
On the paddle shifters - It may be an issue with the clockspring in the steering wheel, the paddle shifter itself (as in dirt/debris is affecting the contacts),
That is where I would focus.

Whether using the normal automatic system or the paddle shifters, the same components in the transmission are being used to change the CVT ratio. (The difference is to which ratio the TCM will cause the transmission to change.) If while in automatic mode the transmission changes ratio up and down, then I doubt it's a problem in the transmission, i.e., oil, solenoids,etc.

If the transmission is working in automatic mode, as has been mentioned above, I don't see any problem driving with it as long as the manual shifting, particularly up, isn't needed.

@Annie12461

How long have you had the car, and when was the last time the up-shift paddle was used successfully?

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5L
35 Posts
Annie12461, I experienced this about 6 months ago in my 2013 OB. I'm at 150,000km's Everything works fine now. At the time mine didn't work was when I was at the top of a steep hill where I like to use the paddles for engine breaking so I was changing down and they refused to work and instead displayed a dash symbol where the gear selection number should have been.
They did not work changing up or down!

On my OB I had made and fitted an under sump guard similar to the one's Rally armor I think it is, sells. Mine extended back to the CVT housing and had lots of dried on mud between the plate armor and CVT housing especially around the switch plug on the CVT. I removed the plate and washed the mud off the switch and wiring and the paddles worked after doing this!

I could have had an overheating issue, thats all I can think was happening. Its worked fine ever since and I have left the armour plate off. If you have been offroading and got mud caked on under there you might want to check. I wouldn't have thought it would cause this but you never know!

Just my 2 cents worth here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My first question is where did you have the fluid in the CVT replaced and did they use the proper fluid? If they used a universal CVT fluid, you'll need to get that out of the CVT and put in the CVT fluid from Subaru. The universal fluids are crap in these units.

On the paddle shifters - It may be an issue with the clockspring in the steering wheel, the paddle shifter itself (as in dirt/debris is affecting the contacts), the TCM (unlikely) or it's within the valve body of the CVT. If it is internal to the CVT, you may still be able to get it covered by Subaru given you just hit 100k miles.

Other possibilities are the battery condition and cabling (battery cables). If the battery is weak or the cables are corroded it effects communication and the ability for the various switches on the car to work. Are there any other things on the car that is working odd?

I doubt whatever it is will cost thousands of dollars to repair. Even if it's the valve body in the CVT and it's not covered by Subaru, replacement is less than $800 depending on the shop that does it and their labor rates.
Thank you for this info. The CVT fluid was replaced by the dealer. I assume it was the correct fluid. Will check on invoice later. Not awake yet.
Would the clockspring stop the horn from sounding? Asking this as a spring was replaced a couple of months ago as the horn just stopped working. Will check the horn.
I have a new battery. The cables I will look at. Nothing else besides the paddle. If it's the battery, would it affect only one paddle?
I will have it looked at. Thanks so much for this info. Helps put perspective on this. Not so much panic. Will write about what happens.
Have a great day and thanks again.
That is where I would focus.

Whether using the normal automatic system or the paddle shifters, the same components in the transmission are being used to change the CVT ratio. (The difference is to which ratio the TCM will cause the transmission to change.) If while in automatic mode the transmission changes ratio up and down, then I doubt it's a problem in the transmission, i.e., oil, solenoids,etc.

If the transmission is working in automatic mode, as has been mentioned above, I don't see any problem driving with it as long as the manual shifting, particularly up, isn't needed.

@Annie12461

How long have you had the car, and when was the last time the up-shift paddle was used successfully?
Thanks for your advice. I bought the car with 36,000 miles on it three years ago? If I am remembering right I used the paddle last year. Can't remember why, though so don't quote me on that. On my trip out west last winter I used it and it worked fine. As long as it doesn't hurt to shift into automatic from manual, I can live with this. I am used to a standard transmission so like to be able to control my car.:sneaky:

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
15,965 Posts
I am used to a standard transmission so like to be able to control my car.:sneaky:
Hopefully you don't have eyesight, ES and CVT takes much of the control or the car away for sure.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
12,168 Posts
I think the focus should be on the clockspring. If you hadn't used the paddles until now since the replacement there may be a loose connection or something was left unplugged. Yes, the clockspring effects the horn as the circuit for the horn, Cruise, paddles and radio, along with the air bag, all go through the clockspring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts