Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new here but this seemed like a good place to ask some questions. I am the owner of an old 2000 Outback with manual transmission that I have driven for over 14 years. I am currently looking into getting another Outback since I loved this old one so much. I have found a 2014 Premium PZEV manual that my local dealer is showing me, but I have some concerns. The big one is that when I test drove it, it took 3 cranks every time before it started. Some have told me that the PZEV does that, but I don't know enough about it to confirm or deny. My internet research has not really turned anything up either way. So I figured hitting up some Outback people would be a good idea.

So, do PZEV's take longer to start? In addition a few other concerns were: Is the shifter on the manuals from this year noisy when drooping into 2nd and 3rd? Did they stop using rust protection in the sub-frame and other undercarriage parts? Anyone ever have problems with electronic e-brake being stuck on?

I love my old car, but the constant worry what whats going to go wrong next is starting to bug me. And I prefer Manual over auto so...
Any information would be very appreciated.
My thanks

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
... it took 3 cranks every time before it started. Some have told me that the PZEV does that, but I don't know enough about it to confirm or deny.
Welcome to the forum.

How many miles are on this?
Unless it’s the batt, that right there (hard cranking) is enough for me to pass on this one. PZEV is a few added emissions parts, it should fire right up regardless.
MT on a Gen4+ OB is a dying breed, it’s not efficient. Worse, it’s been equated to oil-consumption. But it’s your call.
The rest of your questions, it’s been asked before – do a Search.
Good luck.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
the car should start normal and the PZEV stuff is meaningless.

to be clear 3 "cranks" is somewhat ambiguous.
3 cranks meaning which ones - it turns over 3 times before starting?
or you physically turn the key to start, crank engine, no start, key off...and repeat that entire sequence 3 times?

first step is to *properly* check battery and connections.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, thank you for the reply.

It's got 31,000 miles on it, and that's less then what I got with my 2000. And that ran great. And sorry for not being clear, but I should have said the engine turns over 3 time before starting. There are a number of reasons I can think of why that could be, but none are good for a 2 year old car from a dealer. Good bargaining chip for lowing the price, but I am hoping for a maintenance free couple of years at least.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,582 Posts
try to test drive another PZEV from the same generation and compare?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I am going in tomorrow to discuss price. I don't think I will go for this one unless they fix the starting and offer a good price. Thank you for the incite people. Gonna keep a look out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts