Subaru Outback Forums banner

2014 Outback Premium

1428 Views 19 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Wiscoutback87
So I’ve been on here for years and now owned the family Outback for 7 of those years and for some reason I never started a thread for it and I’ve always just posted to the generic pictures or what have you done threads. I decided it’s time to make my own. We bought this 7 years ago used with about 30,000 miles. It’s remained mostly stock but it sure has taken our family on so many adventures. I brought both of our kids home from the hospital in this car and it’s traveled to Colorado, the outer banks, all around Lake Michigan and to the far Nw part of Wisconsin right by Minnesota. We frequently take it to Michigan and one day it will go on the sand dunes there for some reason we never make time in our trips to drive those just hike them which is still an awesome view and a lot of fun. This car has mostly had routine maintenance that I’ve done myself. It’s got 2 sets of tires so far new brakes front and rear 1 new wheel bearing and just recently I finally changed out spark plugs at 144,000 miles. Otherwise I e had the dealer do one trans drain and fill and the front diff along with a coolant flush at 120,000. We love this car and how safe it is and how we never worry that we can’t make it somewhere when we are in it. This thread will be our adventures as well as maintenance we do on the car so I’ll start with the old plugs I just changed out. I don’t think they look too bad considering the mileage. I do have to say though that I’ve got MPG better on the first tank of gas since the change so you could tell they were end of life.
Jewellery Metal Fashion accessory Gun accessory Bangle
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
'17 OB 3.6 , '11 OB 2.5 , '11 Legacy 2.5 , '18 Forester 2.5
390 Posts
L💗VE IT !!

Thanks for sharing :)

· Registered
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My wife loaded up the car while I slept and we took off for our Michigan adventure. Had a nice drive up and found a state park along the way to get everyone out and exercised. The park was kind of a hidden gem and in the 11 years we have been coming up we had no idea it was here. Great start to the trip for sure.
Sky Water Plant Cloud Ecoregion
Water Dog Cloud Sky Dog breed
Cloud Water Atmosphere Sky Atmospheric phenomenon
Car Land vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle

· Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Overall we had a nice trip other then one day I was sick. On the way back I found a gas station that had old school pumps it was pretty cool I don’t remember the last time I saw working pumps like this. It always amazes me how much stuff we can fit in our car this time was very packed even foot space was all filled.
Sky Automotive tail & brake light Gas pump Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Flower Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Font Gas Bumper

· Registered
‘12 Outback 2.5 Premium
255 Posts
… I found a gas station that had old school pumps it was pretty cool I don’t remember the last time I saw working pumps like this.
:) By the time unleaded gas was required, I was already married with kids.

The overall boxy style with tumbler type numerals was fairly common by the time I started driving, but many old small gas stations in the desert where I grew up had this style of pump.

· Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great weekend for hiking went to see some changing colors and then test drive a couple newer OB’s while I stopped to get a cabin air filter and an oil filter. I think we have decided that we are going to do a newer limited 4 cylinder after testing several and looking at the ascent. Now just got to find the right one.
Plant Sky Cloud Twig Natural landscape
Cloud Dog Plant Sky Carnivore
Sky Terrestrial plant Twig Natural landscape Tree

· Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did the dreaded driver side headlight change. Now I’ve changed every bulb in this car in the last 2 months so hopefully we are all done. The headlights are the only pain and even those aren’t terrible it just hurts your arm when you try and take off as little as possible to get to it.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

· Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All packed for the holidays I am always amazed how much we can fit in this car. Thought we would need the roof box but not this year.
Hood Car Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle

· Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Driving home from work in the arctic and my check engine came on along with flashing brake and cruise control and the traction control just for a little while. It ran great for the 60 mile drove home so I’m hoping it’s just because it hasn’t got out of the negatives here but I’m going to try and get it read.

· Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
152,800 miles changed the oil. First time I’ve ever used a non Subaru filter o went with a Microgard select from O’Reilly. It looked like it’s well built from my research and filters well so I figured I’ll give it a try. Did not get a new crush washer so I might go back to Subaru for my next filter just didn’t feel like driving that way and since they have had issues with supply I figured I would just try this. Also put some royal purple injector cleaner in it since I had the lean code and it seems like it’s running smoother and getting slightly better MPG. Hopefully it keeps the code away.

· Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Went out yesterday and the car cranked really weak and wouldn’t start. Gave it some extra juice and it turned over. It was chilly but I’ve got a new interstate battery from Costco so I was a little disappointed at the quality. I had my old battery 7 years and never had the issue with that one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts