Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Limited, w/ES, Ice Silver
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helping out my daughter with her '14 Outback. The passenger side seat belt buckle is reversed, which puts a twist in the belt when you use it, and more importantly, the clip bangs against the side trim when it's retracted (which is most of the time). She had no idea how it got like this. Factory error? De-installed, then re-installed wrong?

I don't see any way to reverse it without removing the belt, then pulling off the buckle and flipping it. Is this a DIY, or does it need to go to the dealer? I anticipate no charges for this, as it is a safety item with a lifetime warranty, but the dealer is not local, and getting the car to one is a bit of a pain.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Chris

·
Registered
09 Outback PZEV, H4, 4EAT
166 Posts
If the belt material is soft, it's possible to fold it on itself and twist it inside the buckle, thus reversing the buckle. I do this regularly on my daughter's wheelchair belt, but haven't had to on my 09 Outback (yet).

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear ya! I tried for about 30 minutes, then had my daughter try. Gave up. Just doesn't seem to be enough room for a double thickness.

·
Registered
09 Outback PZEV, H4, 4EAT
166 Posts
Oh, too bad. Not much you can do then, I suspect...dealer will have to do it :-(

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,918 Posts
I've come across this before in all kinds of different cars..

There are two tricks I use to flip it back over.
First is to flip only half the buckle at a time. To do that, make a large loop of belt between the slot where the belt enters the buckle and where it leaves. This will allow you to work on one slot at a time.
The second is to fold the belt over at an angle so when you pull it thru the slot it progressively works it way over.

That's it. Works for me everytime I encounter a flipped belt.
I hope I explained it well enough. Maybe someone has made a youtube video of this..
And I have no idea how it gets flipped over to begin with. Maybe buckling it in backwards causes it..

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tip. I get the angle part, but not the slots and looping. The buckle has only one slot, so I'm confused. I'll check YouTube.

Update: I found a video. Bingo!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,088 Posts
It can indeed be done. My wife has somehow reverse-twisted the front passenger seat belt buckle several times in several of our vehicles. I have always been able to twist them around into proper position again. Some are harder to do than others. It just takes persistence and sometimes a heaping dose of hand strength.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts