Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I've been searching the threads and can't find the answer (unless I've missed it) so hoping someone can help me. I'm replacing the speakers on my Outback with non-HK, non-nav, 6-speaker system. I have a 2014 Outback Premium. My right front door factory wiring is Green & Brown/White and the left front door wiring is Black/White & Blue/Red wiring. Does anyone know which wire is positive & negative??? If you know for the rear doors, that would help too, thanks!!

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,832 Posts
have you already disconnected the old speakers? there's often + and - markings on the speakers so, just use a little masking tape or make a note about which colors go where. Sometimes there;a s difference in size/shape of the connectors.

it's possible a site like crutchfield has a drawing.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, there connectors on the old speaker are identical in size and no color coding. i don't understand why subaru didn't make the colors consistent.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
If you have some wire and a battery (like a AA), you can figure it out yourself. Hook two pieces of wire to the speaker, one to each terminal. Take the battery negative and connect it to one of the wires (simply holding it with your hand will work) and tap the other wire to the positive of the battery. If the cone moves out, the polarity is correct. If it moves in, it's reversed. Once you know what terminal is what, transfer that to the car wiring. In general all of the positives are in the same spot on the connector.

This also works if you are wiring up an amp and forgot to mark which wire is which in a bundle and need to know which speaker is which, just don't do it to a tweeter and don't hold it to the battery for very long!

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,536 Posts
The wiring diagram in the FSM for 2015 shows wire colors for the six speakers. They don't match the colors you describe, though, so maybe someone with a 2014 service manual will chime in. The drawing implies polarities, but doesn't actually specify it.

From 2015 FSM:

Speaker ----- Left ------- Right
Tweeter ----- V - W ----- L - P
Front door -- V - W ----- L - P
Rear door --- G - GR -- BR - Y

V: Violet
W: White
L: bLue
P: Pink
G: Green
GR: GRay
BR: BRown
Y: Yellow

Violet & bLue both have the same pin number L & R, as do White and Pink, etc., so that suggests their polarities.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts