Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5 CVT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I recently acquired a 2014 Subaru Outback 2.5 with just over 100k miles. Since purchasing the car, I have noted a consistent engine whine near 2000 rpm.
I've searched and read through many other posts, but haven't been able to find anything conclusive. It's just plain difficult to tell whether a noise that someone else has described is similar to what I'm hearing.

I've done my best to record the noise that I'm hearing, which I would best describe as a gentle whine. If you would be so kind, please have a listen to the following videos and let me know what you think:
  • -- In engine bay
  • -- In driver's seat
In case it helps, here are the answers to the basic noise-diagnostic questions:
  1. When does the sound happen? -- When the engine is operating roughly between 1.5 and 3k rpm. Seems worse when cold, but that might be my imagination.
  2. Where does the sound come from? -- The engine bay.
  3. Does the sound vary with some condition? -- Yes, the sound varies with RPM; however, it does not matter whether the transmission is in gear.
  4. Is there a vibration associated with the noise? -- No.
  5. Does it affect drive-ability? how? -- No, it's just annoying.
In attempting to diagnose this myself, would I be safe to run the engine for a short period without the accessory belt? I've heard that the accessory belt drives the waterpump on these models, so I'm concerned about overheating.

Thanks in advance for your help! Please let me know what other information I could provide.
Peter

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,046 Posts
If the engine is cold, and I mean shut down and cooled off for a couple hours, you can safely start it without the belt and run it a couple minutes.

That said, take the belt off and turn the alternator pulley and see if you feel or hear anything. Do the same with the water pump.

I've heard similar from alternators when the bearing is going out. I've not heard it from a water pump yet. The ones with pumps going bad knocked and sounded like an engine knock.

You may also want to check the battery and grounding. If the alternator is over working it'll heat up a lot and this damages the bearing.

Post up what you find.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5 CVT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the delay. I finally had time to remove the accessory belt and poke around this weekend.

I started the cold engine with the accessory belt off. Here's a video:
The whine is still present!

This leads me to believe that the noise is originating from within the engine. Any thoughts on what it could be? Could the timing chain be making a noise like this?
I'm curious whether anyone else has noticed a similar whine from their own FB25. Perhaps it's normal and nothing to worry about...

Thanks again for all the help!
Peter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts