Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback LL Bean 3.0R 5EAT
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone provide the body diameter/dimensions of the Valve cover bolt # 808206200 used on the 2015 and newer 2.5 engine?

The only dimensions provided by Subaru are 6mm x 20mm x 18mm...but I need the body diameter under the bolt head.

A photo would be ideal but the body dimensions should work.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,730 Posts
The only dimensions provided by Subaru are 6mm x 20mm x 18mm...but I need the body diameter under the bolt head.
That nomenclature indicates a 6mm (0.236 inch) body/thread diameter by 20mm grip length. I don't recognize the 18mm ... possibly the thread length.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That nomenclature indicates a 6mm (0.236 inch) body diameter by 20mm grip length. The 18mm is probably thread length.
On earlier Valve cover bolts # 800606710 they are described as 6 x 37 x 10.
The 6mm is the thread diameter. The 37mm is the grip diameter and the 10mm is the body diameter of the shoulder.

I am trying to determine if that is similar on the 808206200 bolt. I don't know if it has a shoulder as well...posibly of 18mm diamter. ??

·
Premium Member
7,730 Posts
... grip diameter ...
That doesn't make any sense. Grip is the distance from the bearing side (i.e. bottom side) of the head to the end of the bolt/screw. (Yes, I realize the rules are different for countersunk bolt/screw heads, but that's not the case here.)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is what the earlier bolt # 800606710 looks like. Perhaps the 37 mm is the length of the shoulder.?

I'm trying to determine if the newer # 808206200 valve cover bolt (6 x 20 x 18) is similar having a shoulder...and if so...what the diamter of that shoulder is.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,730 Posts
If it's a shoulder bolt/screw, all bets are off. The Subaru part may very well be non-standard.

I'm not a professional machinist, and we've reached the limits of my knowledge on this subject, so I won't speculate any further.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm 80 miles from the closet Subaru dealer...or I would buy a bolt to measure.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone have a 2015 or newer 2.5 engine apart or out of their car, who could measure a valve cover bolt?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
They cost 72 pennies.

Order online, if a few dollars shipping bothers you call a few dealers and ask if they can mail or make deliveries to shops close to you. Most dealers have runners that run parts to various shops. This is all a lot of work to save 72 cents or even a few dollars shipping.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They cost 72 pennies.

Order online, if a few dollars shipping bothers you call a few dealers and ask if they can mail or make deliveries to shops close to you. Most dealers have runners that run parts to various shops. This is all a lot of work to save 72 cents or even a few dollars shipping.
Yes..I am aware of the minimal cost.
The Subaru dealers in St. Louis that I contacted do not deliver to rural areas 80 miles away. Either you drive 160 miles round trip for a $0.72 bolt or you pay a flat fee of at least $7 for a bolt that I will never use.

This information is not needed for me. I don't own a 2015 Subaru.
I am doing this to help an owner in WI with a 2015 2.5 to help him resolve an oil leak. He has a dealer 45 mins from him and is going to try to buy a bolt and send me the dimensions.

I guess the old adage that "no good deed goes unpunished" applies... when you catch flak for trying to help someone.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It might have helped us if you'd included that information in your original post.
It was my intent to ask a relatively simple question that could be easily answered by anyone with access to a disassembled late 2015 2.5.
How the information requested was being used was was irrelavant.
I was not my intent to write an epiphany.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
these are so new they're not frequently lying around idle, in a few years you'd get your answer quickly. new subaru stuff seems to gain visibility and availability around 5-8 years, we're right on that cusp for the FB. VDC's, EZ engines...etc go through similar life cycles. hard to get, high prices, hard to find info on...then it all collapses as they flood the market from rust, value, age, etc.

Yes..I am aware of the minimal cost.
I guess the old adage that "no good deed goes unpunished" applies... when you catch flak for trying to help someone.
I assumed you knew, I wasn't intending to distribute "flak" . dealers have gone well out of their way for unimportant, small (or zero) change items many times. i'd call a few and think of family/friends (who are generally glad to help me because they know i'm helping someone else...and i've probably fixed their cars before haha) that live close to a dealer who could pick one up.

that was the practical point, not the cost, had i not done that before I wouldn't have posted.

ultimate subaru message board would be a possible place to get one or measurements although FB engines aren't plentiful yet, some of those guys are shop owners and would have access or good suggestions.

PM a mailing address and I'll send you a Subaru souvenir (you can pick) for helping someone.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ultimate subaru message board would be a possible place to get one or measurements although FB engines aren't plentiful yet, some of those guys are shop owners and would have access or good suggestions.

PM a mailing address and I'll send you a Subaru souvenir (you can pick) for helping someone.
Thanks for your input. I'll google the "ultimate Subaru message board". That is not a resource I am familar with. Thanks.

No Subaru souvenior is necessary....but the offer is appreciated.
I try to help other owners whenever I can to reciprocate for the help I've received in the past.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts