Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my name is Pam and I’m so thankful for this forum. My current dilemma is I would like to buy a small camper to be able to pool with my four-cylinder outback. I had the factory install a trailer hitch and I ended up with an inch and a quarter receiver. The camper that I’m looking at buying today is a tab outback model way under the weight that is the maximum towing for this vehicle which is 2700 pounds . My concern is what I will have to do is actually change out the trailer hitch in order to have a 2 inch receiver to be able to tell this camper and of course all of the wiring to control the electric brakes and I’m not so sure I even want to go through all of that so I was wanting to get anyone’s advice on how this is going to handle on the road once I spend all this money to do this conversion and if I’ll really be happy with it thanks so much.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 2.5i Touring
315 Posts
Welcome!

You might consider posting in the "Towing" forum where there will be quite a bit of expertise (or searching in that forum for receiver adapters). I know virtually nothing about towing, so with the risk of steering you horribly in the wrong direction, there are a variety of receiver adapters that "convert" your 1 1/4" receiver into a 2" receiver -- think 2" receiver that has a 1 1/4" tongue to go into your factory receiver.

What I don't know - and why I would direct you to the Towing forum - is whether your proposed trailer / load might not be appropriate for use with a receiver adapter. The "movement" further away from the car's frame of the receiver being used by the proposed trailer (since there is an intervening receiver adapter) may have important implications around tongue weight, control, safety, etc. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts