Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
'17 Outback Limited 3.6R in Venetian Red.
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5i with CVT
44 Posts
I bet you would get a small bit of drone. I have a muffler delete axle-back Nameless setup on my 2.5i and I get some drone depending on speed, rpm, and load. 70 cruising on the highway though isn't bad, although when you open her up you can certainly hear it. That doesn't sound bad at all, check out Nameless performance as well, they have some real nice stuff, not adjustable tips though.

And 530 bones, ouch, mine was only $200. 3.6 money I guess.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6 Touring
41 Posts
I bet you would get a small bit of drone. I have a muffler delete axle-back Nameless setup on my 2.5i and I get some drone depending on speed, rpm, and load. 70 cruising on the highway though isn't bad, although when you open her up you can certainly hear it. That doesn't sound bad at all, check out Nameless performance as well, they have some real nice stuff, not adjustable tips though.

And 530 bones, ouch, mine was only $200. 3.6 money I guess.
I have been looking at the Nameless with 5" mufflers. They said they had only sold one set to a 2018 owner, and were waiting on photos to see how it fits. They felt that the 2018 bumper is different from the 2017. Haven't been able to find anyone here yet who has done an axle back on a 2018 3.6

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5i with CVT
44 Posts
I have been looking at the Nameless with 5" mufflers. They said they had only sold one set to a 2018 owner, and were waiting on photos to see how it fits. They felt that the 2018 bumper is different from the 2017. Haven't been able to find anyone here yet who has done an axle back on a 2018 3.6
I can say that for my 2017 2.5i it fit perfectly, can't say for certain if they say they have only sold 1 for a 2018 how it would fit. I did look at the Nameless muffler options and they are in line with the LP ones, however, Nameless has better-looking muffler tips, adjustment shouldn't be needed because it is already about as low profile as you can get.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6 Touring
41 Posts
I can say that for my 2017 2.5i it fit perfectly, can't say for certain if they say they have only sold 1 for a 2018 how it would fit. I did look at the Nameless muffler options and they are in line with the LP ones, however, Nameless has better-looking muffler tips, adjustment shouldn't be needed because it is already about as low profile as you can get.
I preferred the look of the LP over the Nameless, got verification that they fit the 2018, so I placed an order.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6 Touring
41 Posts
Let us know how it fares! Been looking to get one from LP. Good sound, nothing overly loud.
Will do. I could also post a recording if it would be helpful. LP has a recording on their site, external only. It will be a couple of weeks or so until we can get around to getting it installed. My dealer will do the work, along with new sway bar bushings from CKE SSP (the guy who posts on this forum).

I have to admit to being a bit mystified about the drone comments. A louder exhaust will be, well, louder, so you would expect to hear it some at cruise. I have a custom turbo back on my soon to be traded in Baja, has a bit of cabin sound at cruise. My 2015 WRX with optional STI exhaust is quite a bit more pronounced in the cabin. I suspect the LP on the Outback will be similar to my Baja, noticeable but not terribly intrusive. The mufflers seem very substantial.

Reactions: BOXR 6

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6 Touring
41 Posts
Does this increase horsepower or acceleration at all?
With the stock ECU no. It is a sound preference thing.
With a dyno tune (voids warranty) might be worth a few HP, but to really get an improvement here you would want to replace most of the exhaust.
On my Baja, did a custom turbo back exhaust and with the dyno tune got +50HP.

·
Banned
6,271 Posts
Axle back doesn't do squat with regard to increasing HP or acceleration.....just makes your neighbors think you bought a new weed whacker.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I changed my exhaust to a larger diameter added two Magnaflow mufflers and different resonator I noticed a nice increase in power (especially low end) when it was re-tuned. However if you are just going to change the mufflers and not get it tuned it will only change the sound.

·
Registered
100 Posts
You can add a little E85 to your fill-ups for a little extra oomph....

When I changed my exhaust to a larger diameter added two Magnaflow mufflers and different resonator I noticed a nice increase in power (especially low end) when it was re-tuned. However if you are just going to change the mufflers and not get it tuned it will only change the sound.

·
Registered
2018 Magnetite Gray 3.6R Limited
9 Posts
You can add a little E85 to your fill-ups for a little extra oomph....
I am not sure that is such a good or useful idea. Sure the "octane" rating is higher, but octane is not power or a boost, but resistance to auto-ignition. It might cool the intake fuel temps a little, but otherwise I do not see a benefit really for an otherwise stock car. Outbacks and their non-turbo engines are tuned for 87 octane fuels and do not, as far as I know, benefit from higher octane fuels. (by modifying the ignition timing, valve timing or compression (as in turbo boost) to utilize the different characteristics of E85)

Not to mention the fact that the ethanol in E85 as a fuel has much less energy by volume than gasoline. (31-34%)

(can't post the reference link for the fuel characteristics comparison, but there are many web sources)

If Subaru had designed the engine and fuel system to take advantage of E85 and it's special characteristics then it would seem to be a different story is possible.

Just my $0.02 though...

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited 3.6r
366 Posts
Outbacks and their non-turbo engines are tuned for 87 octane fuels and do not, as far as I know, benefit from higher octane fuels. (by modifying the ignition timing, valve timing or compression (as in turbo boost) to utilize the different characteristics of E85)
They don't.
People, please don't put anything other than what the manual calls for. It even specifies that 87 is all thats needed. No premium gas is going to get you any more stock power, or help you tow that dingy.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited 3.6r
366 Posts
Please prove your contribution, in detail, with supporting facts and documentation. I’d like to learn from you.
Sure, I'd love to:

Five Facts of Using Premium vs. Regular Gas - TrueCar Blog

https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/to-save-money-on-gas-stop-buying-premium.html

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/best-cars-blog/2016/08/premium-vs-regular-gasoline

https://www.cartalk.com/content/premium-vs-regular

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/regular-or-premium

Is it because I'm a millennial I know how to Google things?
If you like to refute please, I would love to see your "contribution, in detail, with supporting facts and documentation".
It's not like you need a degree to understand that Subaru has built the two engines for the Gen 5's Outback and how the Engineers specifically created them to run on regular gasoline. Like I said before people like to act/pretend like they know more than them.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I run 93 octane in my OB because that is what my tune calls for. I have a 91 version, but only use that when I travel, since most stations don't have 93.

Reactions: 3.6r Limited
1 - 20 of 73 Posts