Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to see if there is a correlation between the type of Phone (Operating System) with all the freezing and crashing issues of the 2015 to 2018 OB.

I have experienced major failures only when my phone was plugged in while using Android Auto. I also had minor freeze ups that only required a restart but my phone wasn't plugged in. When things went super wrong I had to go to the dealership because it would not correct itself.

I should say I had my Head Unit replaced and so far so good but I have not plugged in my phone since. I'm afraid to but I've only plugged in a MP3 player.

I have a BB KeyOne with Android

Please contribute because if we wait for Subaru to publish any findings h.ell might freeze over. If there is a correlation between smart phones and these frustrating issues we should be told.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,531 Posts
2015 Premium without HK "deluxe" head unit.
Two Samsung Android phones over the years, mostly interfaced via Bluetooth.

No freeze-up problems, with one exception: returned to "civilization" (i.e. within reach of a cell signal) after hours of being blissfully unaware of an ongoing text-message storm among family and acquaintances (most of which were inconsequential (the texts, not the people), but dozens and dozens of messages). Could not clear the HU display from the "incoming message" display until turning the ignition off, but the music continued.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R LBP "Dingo"
642 Posts
2016 OB 3.6R with HK unit
LG G4 and Moto G5S Plus

Pandora and Spotify didn't work very well when I tried them through the console; if I fire them up through the phone and use BT audio, works fine.

Everything else works just fine.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited with Eyesight, Forest Green
92 Posts
2018 3.6r Limited, w/navigation and other bells and whistles. Phone is a Google Pixel (original model, not the 2). Bluetoothed to the car almost all of the time. Sometimes I'll hook up a cable and AA. Everything has worked fine so far.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 2.5i Touring
315 Posts
I already posted in another thread (before you started this one) but thought I'd record it here too in case it helps in any way.

I have a 2018 Touring. I've only had it for a month or so, and it is low miles (less than 400 as of today) as I am still getting ready to surrender the car I own that the Outback replaces.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S8.

It was paired via Bluetooth at the dealer before I left the lot on pick-up. My phone pairs with the HU basically every time I am in the car (maybe I forgot the phone once or twice on very quick, short errands, but no failure to pair when the phone is present). I will rarely use BT for media playback - I've done so just to familiarize myself with functionality, but don't plan on doing so much in the future at all.

I have used Android Auto, and plan to do so more often in the future. Like BT, I initially used AA to get a handle on functionality. When I am in my local areas, I generally won't use AA, but will plug in if faced with unusual traffic issues - it has happened once or twice. I've also used AA to play media through the USB connection rather than BT; but more often than not I find I'll use XM for audio. If I want to play media from my phone in the future, I'll almost certainly default to AA and a USB connection over BT.

On roadtrips (some coming up) I'll use AA more regularly, for Google Maps / Waze functionality, and for Google Assistant voice controls -- on longer drives (1 hour plus), I'll use AA for sure to have more voice options for receiving and replying to texts (instead of having Subaru's canned text responses).

Though I have NAV as an option, I'll be unlikely to use it over AA options - maybe for short trips in unfamiliar surroundings.

No issues yet, but as I said -- only <400 miles and one month in to ownership, so sort of meaningless as of now in terms of reliability or issue tracing. I'll update as drive time and ownership time increases.

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Nav
2,915 Posts
2018 OB Limited 2.5, built in September 2017, purchased in October 2017
Head unit software version = 2.17.22.30
iPhone 7 Plus running iOS 11.4

I currently have no freezing problems. Apps I usually use are Google Maps, Spotify, and Pandora.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R (previously 2013 Outback 2.0TD 6MT, 2007 Outback 2.5 Premium 5MT, 2004 Outback 2.5 5MT, 1998 Legacy GT VDC Wagon, 1992 Legacy GT S2 Sedan)
36 Posts
2018 OB 3.6R SI-Drive (Nav, HK 12spkr) with head unit 2.17.43.30

Only had it 5 weeks. No obvious crashes or lockups.
iPhone 6S iOS 11.4; Carplay works fine but get occasional audio stutter playing from the Music app.

I don't use the radio except accidentally (maybe relevant because of the radio rewind function consuming memory?)
iPod (actually an iPhone 4 running iOS 6) connected via USB but don't usually use it because of the switching-to-radio problem
iPhone 6S is always connected with Bluetooth and playing music

·
Registered
2016 OB Limited Eyesight 2.5i
136 Posts
2016 2.5i limited with HK and navigation. Never a single issue with my iPhone 6s.

I DID have an issue with an iPod classic. It freezes (iPod) on iPod source if there is album art on the iPod. This problem and how to fix it have been reported here before.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited; Magnetite Gray Metallic, Slate Black Leather
10 Posts
I feel like I may be jinxing myself.... but I actually have had almost NO issues.

2018 3.6R Limited
software version: 2.17.43.30
phone: Pixel 2XL
apps used: Google Maps, Google Play Music, YouTube Music, Listen Audiobook Player

I don't use bluetooth really at all, just Android Auto. The only real weird thing I've encountered is the navigation buttons in AA just disappearing. That's happened maybe 5 times since I've had the car (May 9th). That always resolved itself by the next time I drove the car. I was also able to get the navigation buttons back by disconnecting/unplugging the phone and plugging it back in. Only once did I have the screen go black/blank, and thankfully just turning off the car and turning it back on did the trick that time.

Just as an aside, for anyone who doesn't want the radio/XM to come on when you start the car, you can set your radio preset to XM channel 0 - it's the ID channel that has no sound at all. I saw that posted somewhere on these forums - sorry, I can't remember exactly where or I'd give credit where it's due..

·
Registered
Outback 2018 2.5i Premium
169 Posts
No phone needed for problems to appear

I thought I was one of the lucky ones with a good unit. 2018_2.5 w/Nav. Never had a phone connected up. After about nine months w/o any problems I started to get the "inializing " buttons on Sirius stations. Reset them and they would hold for a day or two. Then the volume function disabled. Came back after an hour stop. Now Nav froze up without sound. Parked for the night and now all works again. Subaru Customer Service...here i come.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2018 and am using a OnePlus 6 fully updated to the new android. When i got the car the phone wouldn't link up to android auto. But one plus just released a phone update and it starts rite up and works every time now when i connect the USB cord. The only problem I have now is when the actual radio freezing here and there I can't wait until they release there update for it that i was told should be here by the end of summer hopefully it clears up those issues.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought I was one of the lucky ones with a good unit. 2018_2.5 w/Nav. Never had a phone connected up. After about nine months w/o any problems I started to get the "inializing " buttons on Sirius stations. Reset them and they would hold for a day or two. Then the volume function disabled. Came back after an hour stop. Now Nav froze up without sound. Parked for the night and now all works again. Subaru Customer Service...here i come.
that's helpful to know.
I continue to keep my fingers crossed the new HU will continue to be problem free without hooking up my phone.
At some point I should plug it in and see if it freezes again but then again I want to leave well enough alone.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,653 Posts
Considering this thread has very little traction perhaps a poll would've helped. Not sure
I will have to figure out a good way to use the poll function. Users are much more likely to use a poll than responding as it's a single click.

The 2018+2019 have a different head unit than the 2015-2017. Listing that separately along with the top 10-15 popular phones sling with "yes"and "no" options for both will be quite a list.

·
Registered
2018, Outback Limited, 2.5i
10 Posts
iPhone X, iOS 11.4.1

I've pretty much had the same issues since I got the car in Dec 2017.

Issues are:
-Consistent skipping of audio, both music through the Apple Music app and Podcasts
--Still occurs with data on and off

-Occasionally, the Head Unit and Phone seem to loose sync, if that makes sense.
--Essentially, the phone charges, but CarPlay is no longer a selectable/visible option to select.
--When this happens, playing audio through bluetooth does not work.
--When this happens, reseating the USB connection does not work.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Premium Crimson
13 Posts
2018 2.5i Prem.
(Don't laugh) LG Expression

Had the head unit freeze (no touch or hard buttons work) when I got back into the car last friday. I've had the green warning for lost connection or whatever it is a few times.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts