Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Premium Wilderness Green
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm at the dealer for something else and they said I was due for the 60,000 mile tune up and it will cost $600.00 WHAT!?!? Can someone please tell me why a tune up costs $600.00 and what is done, what parts are replaced? Why in the WORLD does it COST $600.00?

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,299 Posts
The dealer should give you a run-down, but it's also listed in the warranty and maintenance pamphlet that was included with your owner's manual.

Read through that pamphlet, see what's suggested for that service interval, assess what you can do yourself (air filters are EASY) and decide what's actually included in a regular oil change and tire rotation anyway. Ask for the needed services a la carte and you can save some money. Those "xx,000 mile service" are where the dealers really make money.

I did the above with my 2011 when the 30,000 mile service was suggested, my final tally was under $200 - oil change, tire rotation, front and rear diff service.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
So I'm at the dealer for something else and they said I was due for the 60,000 mile tune up and it will cost $600.00 WHAT!?!? Can someone please tell me why a tune up costs $600.00 and what is done, what parts are replaced? Why in the WORLD does it COST $600.00?
Labor. The parts for a 60k service are minimal.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited
136 Posts
Come on, we all know dealer services are very high priced. Look around for a Subaru qualified secondary auto shop, you'll save about 1/4 - 1/2 in price. Check Craig's list, search the Internet for auto shops and ask if they work on Subaru's. It's not rocket science to change plugs, but I'd want someone that knows how to do it on the Boxter type motor- just a bit different as plugs can be difficult to get to.

The 'up-sell', suggesting more than is necessary, at dealers is amazing. For sure, tire rotation, plus other minor things, all adding up to more money for them at high labor rates.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,725 Posts
I did the above with my 2011 when the 30,000 mile service was suggested, my final tally was under $200 - oil change, tire rotation, front and rear diff service.
The 2011 requires differential service at 30,000? The 2015 manual says it's "inspect". Same thing with CVT fluid unless you tow.

I do my own cabin air filter and engine air filter. Other than oil changes, there isn't much to do before 60,000 other than a brake fluid flush.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,725 Posts
Labor. The parts for a 60k service are minimal.
More like "dealer profit" than "labor". Plugs, oil/filter change, brake flush, tire rotation, inspect fluids, swap the engine air filter and cabin air filter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts