Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took our outback in for service with the complaint of a lot of noise, which I said could be either tire noise or bearing. Dealership said the rear right bearing needed to be replaced so I had it replaced (After reading this forum I've found out this is a common failure for outbacks). When I went in to pick up the vehicle they told me the ABS sensor was on when they pulled it into the shop and is still on after the bearing replacement. The ABS light has never been on in the 15 months I've owned the car and wasn't on when I drove it to the dealership that day. The noise I was hearing did not improve at all and was told after the service was done that it is tire noise. They said to drive the car for a few days and if the ABS light doesn't go off to book an appointment to have a new sensor installed at the cost of $150.

Is the sensor part of the wheel bearing and is it the new bearing that is damaged? Anybody have experience with the bearing/sensor?

This is my first Subaru and probably my last. I've had many issues and have been disapointed in two dealerships (one we bought from and this one that replaced the bearing).

·
Registered
2019 250i Touring
42 Posts
Most probably damaged the sensor when replacing the bearing. A rookie mistake. Did you tell them that the ABS light wasn’t on when you dropped it off. Don’t let them bully you. If the light was on when they pulled it in they should have let you know before the replacement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most probably damaged the sensor when replacing the bearing. A rookie mistake. Did you tell them that the ABS light wasn’t on when you dropped it off. Don’t let them bully you. If the light was on when they pulled it in they should have let you know before the replacement.
I have told them the ABS light was not on when I dropped it off and that it's sketchy that they say it was on when they pulled it into the shop. I will be talking to the service manager before I bring it back.

For everyones information; it's not just the ABS light, but also Electronic Parking break, Vehicle Dynamics Control, and the SRVD disabled indicators. I was told they are all linked to the same problem.

·
Registered
2019 3.6R Red on Ivory
73 Posts
Man! You definitely got a problem car, judging by your prior posts. Just vonder, are you bringing your car to fix into same shop?
Your word against their... OBDII does not have time stamp for when code was set. Though some of the late OB's have equivalent of "Black Box" according to manual.
I agree with previous poster: technician did not removed sensor prior to pulling spindle out. It is probable that sensor was on it last leg and tech borke it trying to remove it out.
Bad bearing could not cause sensor failure if you were able to drive the car.
It is probable that malfunction of this sensor will cause codes all over stability control, ABS, eyesight. data from ABS sensor used for multiple functions.
My old BMW RWD only with traction/stability control would through all sorts of codes if you lift rear wheels start engine and put it in a gear. Computer would sense discrepancy between sensor' outputs.
With modern car electronics it takes a computer...

Regarding the dealer, would you be willing to share business name? I would avoid this place like a plague.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man! You definitely got a problem car, judging by your prior posts. Just vonder, are you bringing your car to fix into same shop?
Your word against their... OBDII does not have time stamp for when code was set. Though some of the late OB's have equivalent of "Black Box" according to manual.
I agree with previous poster: technician did not removed sensor prior to pulling spindle out. It is probable that sensor was on it last leg and tech borke it trying to remove it out.
Bad bearing could not cause sensor failure if you were able to drive the car.
It is probable that malfunction of this sensor will cause codes all over stability control, ABS, eyesight. data from ABS sensor used for multiple functions.
My old BMW RWD only with traction/stability control would through all sorts of codes if you lift rear wheels start engine and put it in a gear. Computer would sense discrepancy between sensor' outputs.
With modern car electronics it takes a computer...

Regarding the dealer, would you be willing to share business name? I would avoid this place like a plague.
We bought our outback used in May 2018 in Whitby, ON. Test drive was good other than the front passenger door was delaminated inside and made a funny sound when closed. They fixed this before we picked it up. When I picked up the car and pulled out of their lot a rear shock was broken, they fixed this under warranty (not without denying they could hear anything and arguing about it) along with a couple small things on the interior of the car, like a clip falling out for the sun shade.
The oil level consistently drops to the point of the low level indicator coming on, I was told from an independent auto shop that this is somewhat normal for Subaru's? Said shop replaced the wiring harness to the emergency parking break after the indicator came on and E-Brake failed to work.
My other post was about the rear hatch lift supports failing and I replaced those myself when the hatch would not stay open.
And now the rear wheel bearing, with the failed ABS sensor.... A LOT of breakdowns for a car that isn't very old. The wheel bearing service work is being done in Peterborough, ON at a Subaru dealer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts