Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything I should be getting checked out or replaced before I lose my factory warranty?

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
The price of an extended warranty. :)

Reactions: johnre

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but can you purchase an extended warranty years after purchase? Would you do that through the dealer? (not coincidentally, I have a 2015 that is having issues) :(
So long as your car is still inside Subaru's basic 3 year/36k mile basic warranty, you can still buy the factory extended warranty.

·
Registered
28 Posts
StrawberyGirl and z28dug:
Take a look at this article by Consumer Reports; I only share this because I just decided not to buy an extended warranty due to it's cost and my experience with another vehicle. Here's the quote that pretty much sums up why you shouldn't buy an extended warranty. What you should do with the money you'll spend on an extended warranty is to put that money in an account that accrues interest - and forget about it until something big comes along (hopefully not for many, many, many miles)... As long as the car is cared for, you'll have less problems, imho. Piece of mind is very expensive. I contacted my dealer about purchasing an extended warranty as my factory one is < than 100 miles away - they quoted me at 2800.00 for 60K additional miles or 6 years and that's their "platinum" coverage. I negotiated, or attempted to and got them to go down only 200.00 (2600.00). That's when I started really thinking long and hard about whether or not to buy an extended warranty thru Subaru or, a third party. I decided not to do either. I'd be happy to share my experience on another car we did purchase an extended warranty on, if you're interested, but for now, read this article. Good luck.

"Conversely, owners of Hondas, Subarus, and Toyotas—perennially high-ranking brands for reliability—were among the least satisfied overall with their extended warranties. They were also far less likely to have used them, compared with owners of most other brands’ models. Just 39 percent of Honda and Toyota owners reported having used their coverage, followed by only 36 percent of Subaru owners. Not surprisingly, owners of those brands were among the least likely to say they’d definitely purchase the coverage again; less than a quarter of policyholders for each make said they would do so. “100,000 miles came and went, and the car never needed any repairs other than regular maintenance. What a waste! I will never buy another extended warranty for a car,” said Honda Civic owner Liz Garibaldi."

Full article:
https://www.consumerreports.org/extended-warranties/extended-car-warranties-an-expensive-gamble/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts