Subaru Outback Forums banner

2015 head unit replacement, backup camera not engaging

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  sjameson 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 2015 base model Outback with the smaller 6.3" (I think) head unit. Recently, the touch screen stopped working and I had the dealer flash the firmware but reported back that they were unable to make the touchscreen work. The dealer wanted $1100 for a new head unit, but I opted to try a DIY fix by buying a head unit on eBay for the premium trim level model (7" screen). All went well with the install, no big deal except now the backup camera does not appear on the screen when I shift the car into reverse.

I've verified that there's nothing wrong with the camera itself by re-installing the old head unit. When I shift into reverse using the original head unit the back up camera view is displayed on the screen.

A few questions:
  1. Are there camera incompatibility issues between the base level head unit and the premium? The plugs seem to be the same.
  2. Does anything need to be done with a new head unit (e.g. firmware flash, etc) after installing it?
It's also possible that I received a defective head unit from the seller on eBay, but I'd like to understand whether something else is the likely cause before opening a case and returning the item.

Thank you for your help!
jamson

See less See more
#2 ·
I sounds like you replaced your radio with another Subaru radio (as opposed to an aftermarket brand) so if the replacement was made for another 2015 Subaru, it should work correctly. But be careful replacing radios from a different year because internal electronics may not be compatible (even if the radios look similar).

#3 ·
Thank you for the info. The car is a 2015 base model outback and I replaced the head unit with one from a 2015 premium outback. All of the plugs from the old head unit connected to the new head unit but there were several plugs on the back of the new head unit for which I had no wiring. I'm assuming these would be for the extra speakers normally found in a premium trim level outback?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.