Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just picked up a used OB a couple days ago (2015, Limited) and had them update the head unit firmware to what I assumed would be NU9017. When the technician finished he said the latest was actually NU9020, I double checked the unit and sure enough it said NU9020. I asked what the changes were but he was confident I could just google it. I did, and can't find anything on the new firmware.

Anyone have an idea of what has changed in NU9020 from NU9017?

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,616 Posts
Hey all,

Just picked up a used OB a couple days ago (2015, Limited) and had them update the head unit firmware to what I assumed would be NU9017. When the technician finished he said the latest was actually NU9020, I double checked the unit and sure enough it said NU9020. I asked what the changes were but he was confident I could just google it. I did, and can't find anything on the new firmware.

My 2017 OB Limited with Nav was updated yesterday. They said they installed version NU9508 and said it was the newest. I had a problem with FM presets to 87.5 intermittingly. Appears to have fixed it.
I also had no luck finding details. Might search for Starlink head unit firmware. I got hints but no details.

·
Registered
2016 OB Limited Eyesight 2.5i
136 Posts
Hey all,

Maybe try searching for various versions of TSB 15-198-16 or TSB 15-198-16R. These are two TSBs that dealt with the Fujitsu 10 head unit on MY15 vehicles.

One thing that is confusing to me is I referred to the TSB 15-205-16, which is also for these same head units on MY15 and MY16 vehicles.

http://www.challengepromotions.com/Wills/TSB/15-205-16.pdf

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,722 Posts
Reactions: dmwarner

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Limited with Eyesight
66 Posts
I just had my 2017 OB (7" Fujitsu F10 Navi) flashed yesterday from NU9606 to the "latest" NU9508. Weird that an update has a lower version number than the one that came with the car.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i w/Tech Package
4 Posts
I just had my 2017 OB (7" Fujitsu F10 Navi) flashed yesterday from NU9606 to the "latest" NU9508. Weird that an update has a lower version number than the one that came with the car.

Semper Fi
I have the same 2017 with navi and the same NU9606 version. It is good to know that when I have it done at the dealer that 9508 will be installed.

I am really hoping it fixes the crazy Google maps bug when the phone is plugged into the USB ports.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT (white), previous owner of a 2015 Outback 3.6R Limited
41 Posts
I just got my 2015 Outback upgraded to NU9020 today, from NV9006. I mainly got it done so I could mute the navigation.
NOTE: With the new firmware, you cannot mute the navigation audio from the steering wheel controls. That only mutes the radio. To mute the navigation audio you have to go to the navigation menu settings screen and press on the speaker icon to mute / unmute.

When I requested a changelog for the new firmware, the service rep was told they aren't supposed to print it out and give it to customers. Instead he wrote down the firmware version and the TSB number, 15-2015-16R. I can only find 15-2015-16 online. That one doesn't show all changes by version number. What's the purpose of providing firmware updates but not telling customers what they can expect from the new firmware?!

·
Registered
Outback Limited 2020 Red (former 2015)
76 Posts
At dealer today. They wanted to update head unit but wouldn't/couldn't tell me what it would do. Mine has never had any serious issues and I am a 'don't fix what ain't broke' kind of guy. As to doing an update without disclosure, don't do it on my android, my Ipad or my aging Win7 machine so why should I let Subaru.
Near as I know my Subie has what it was delivered with in Jan 2015.
Any thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
4,305 Posts
WRT the 2015 HU w/NAV (which was the original topic of this thread), the only reason I had my unit updated was to have the option to mute the NAV voice, which was not possible on the stock firmware. Otherwise, I'm with you, don't let the dealer mess with it if you're satisfied. My dealer screwed up the installation and I ended up fixing it myself back when the files were publicly available for download.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Touring with EyeSight; Venetian Red
515 Posts
These version numbers apply ONLY to 2015 head units. Since you've bumped this thread, let me also add that those looking to update their 2015 HU to the latest firmware may do so by purchasing access to the STIS and searching for TSB 15-205-16R:

https://stis.subaru.com/index.html

Also, see this post.
That link to the STIS site appears to be outdated and not maintained with the latest info. The new system is located at:
https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/#/online_reference

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
4,305 Posts
Hi, Can anyone help me with locating the NU9020 software update files?
For those of us in the US, the easiest thing to do is purchase access to STIS, then look up the TSB (posted earlier in this thread). It will have links to all of the firmware files and, with paid access, you'll be allowed to download them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.