Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure whether to post this here or in Problems, but...

2015 Outback premium, 2.5. I had the car in for service last week, and they tell me there's a crack in the front catalytic converter. They want $1,660 for parts and labor to replace it. Says it not warrenteed because it's not throwing a CEL, and Federal emissions warranty seems to be 8 years/80K on the cat; I'm *just* beyond that in any case.

I *just* bought this censored thing after the lease, and now this. (Check my post history, I would have been out over $4K on mileage overage alone if I'd walked away from it). Any chance I can get SOA to kick in the repairs on this, or am I screwed?

I hope this car turns out not to be yet another albatross around my neck like my '99 Blazer (you can check my post history on blazerforum.org for the sordid history of *that* mess).

·
Registered
17 Outback Touring 3.6R blue 18 Chevy Silverado High Country and a 11 Dodge Challenger SRT 8
322 Posts
Dealer says not throwing CEL ask them if exhaust fumes in car in anything to worry about !!! If they say not because of light I think fumes would be worse.You have nothing to lose contacting them I would say they might split it with you or 500.00 off repair. Another option would be to see if you can get it welded.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i, purchased new Oct 2014
302 Posts
You may be covered to 150k miles under New Jersey law.

"California and the several states that have adopted California’s tougher emissions rules have even longer warranties and cover more items: seven years or 70,000 miles on fuel injectors and the injector-control module, fuel pump, transmission solenoids, and many other parts, plus associated hardware.

Partial zero-emission vehicles, including most hybrids and a few non-hybrid vehicles, warrant those parts for 15 years or 150,000 miles. States where this PZEV warranty is honored currently include California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Details on specific parts covered by federal and California warranties are spelled out in your car’s warranty booklet."

from
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro...000-on-emissions-repair-for-his-bmw/index.htm

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
It was insane what the dealer wanted for the y pipe and front cat even back in 2006 when mine was damaged by a chunk of ice on the freeway. The y pipe cost me $180 took me 15min to replace my self. The cat I had cut out and replaced at a ma and pop muffler shop $150. That was a CA car. I drove it another 5 yrs and nearly 100,000 miles zero issues

·
Registered
87 Posts
It was insane what the dealer wanted for the y pipe and front cat even back in 2006 when mine was damaged by a chunk of ice on the freeway. The y pipe cost me $180 took me 15min to replace my self. The cat I had cut out and replaced at a ma and pop muffler shop $150. That was a CA car. I drove it another 5 yrs and nearly 100,000 miles zero issues
Totally agree. If there is no warranty then best bet is muffler shop - and there are plenty around. Someone mentioned a cat-back system and true enough for 800 bucks installed you can get a LOT of work done. In fact if it's just outer facia on the cat - it possible to have that patched - and if it's not throwing a CEL - that might be the way to approach it.

Some of my best project welding jobs have been from the local muffler shops at lunchtime with a few 5's and 10's in my pocket.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx Edition XT
1,916 Posts
Not sure whether to post this here or in Problems, but...

2015 Outback premium, 2.5. I had the car in for service last week, and they tell me there's a crack in the front catalytic converter. They want $1,660 for parts and labor to replace it. Says it not warrenteed because it's not throwing a CEL, and Federal emissions warranty seems to be 8 years/80K on the cat; I'm *just* beyond that in any case.

I *just* bought this censored thing after the lease, and now this. (Check my post history, I would have been out over $4K on mileage overage alone if I'd walked away from it). Any chance I can get SOA to kick in the repairs on this, or am I screwed?

I hope this car turns out not to be yet another albatross around my neck like my '99 Blazer (you can check my post history on blazerforum.org for the sordid history of *that* mess).
To echo what was said above:

You appear to be in NJ. I believe you may have extended warranty coverage based on the California Emissions standards (PZEV)... check it out. If you believe you should have warranty coverage, and the dealer thinks otherwise, I suggest you reach out to the corporate number and open a case. I don't know if they can "compel" the warranty replacement on your behalf, but maybe they could discount the repair with Subaru Bucks or something?

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,673 Posts
'99 Blazer

This says quite enough.

I had a 1987 S-10 Blazer with a GM 5 year unlimited mileage warranty. The dealer easily did $5K in repairs on the car and that's in 1980's dollars. I put 164,000 miles on it in 5 1/2 years. Pretty much everything but the engine had been replaced at least once. GM may be more reliable now after the bailout at the Great Recession and total management change but nobody in their right mind would have bought a GM SUV in 1999.

As for the Subaru, it's a car. Things fail. Off warranty, you don't let a dealer touch your car unless your indie mechanic can't handle the repair. Someone was suggesting a used cat. That is likely illegal to use used emissions parts but I'm sure you can find one at a junk yard and have your indie mechanic or a muffler & brake place splice it in.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i and 2018 Audi A4
54 Posts
The other option is a re-cored cat. In an older Audi that I owned one of the two cats started to rattle. The dealer wanted >$1000 for the repair. A local shop was able to purchase an OEM Cat that was opened and had a new core installed. The cat was about $350 and installation was another $100.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Outback, 2002 Audi S4 Avant, 1980 CB750F Supersport, 1985 Carrera 3.2
568 Posts
If you had symptoms before 80k that you can say were attributed to the leaky cat, such as a smell in the cabin, then SOA might honor the 80k warranty even after it has expired. Otherwise, you can buy the part and gaskets and have a muffler shop do the labor for much cheaper (shouldn't take more than 2-3 hours I would think).

Part #44620AD89B

$567 online and cheaper on some other sites (depends on shipping).

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,297 Posts
I remember when life was more simple and you could order a catalytic converter "test pipe" (wink wink nod nod) from J.C. Whitney that would fit in place of the catalytic converter. For testing purposes only of course; not legal for street use.:wink2:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I remember when life was more simple and you could order a catalytic converter "test pipe" (wink wink nod nod) from J.C. Whitney that would fit in place of the catalytic converter. For testing purposes only of course; not legal for street use.:wink2:
Those days are LONG gone - LOL. California Emissions programs have even tiered out - it is simply not worth the hassle and frankly the automakers are putting out great compliant product.

Points on PZEV are really interesting - that's a warranty that is incredible.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts

You appear to be in NJ. I believe you may have extended warranty coverage based on the California Emissions standards (PZEV)... check it out. If you believe you should have warranty coverage, and the dealer thinks otherwise, I suggest you reach out to the corporate number and open a case. I don't know if they can "compel" the warranty replacement on your behalf, but maybe they could discount the repair with Subaru Bucks or something?
I'm pretty sure the NJ law only applies to zero emission vehicles, not partial zero emission vehicles.

Dealers do not like saying no to customer's warranty claims. They would much rather say yes. Just makes for happier customers.

Unfortunately the customer's vehicle is out of warranty. People waste way too much time seeking ways to have someone else pay for their auto repairs. Sometimes in life you just have accept responsibility for your own stuff.

Reactions: Yoda_One

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx Edition XT
1,916 Posts

I'm pretty sure the NJ law only applies to zero emission vehicles, not partial zero emission vehicles.

Dealers do not like saying no to customer's warranty claims. They would much rather say yes. Just makes for happier customers.

Unfortunately the customer's vehicle is out of warranty. People waste way too much time seeking ways to have someone else pay for their auto repairs. Sometimes in life you just have accept responsibility for your own stuff.
My 2011 is the PZEV and falls into the California emission standards. I have the extended warranty on several parts over the Federal specifications.

Yes cars break. They’re machines. But sometimes people need information on whether or not it’s covered, such as the CVT extensions.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,443 Posts
Wait a sec...
An extended emissions warranty only for ZERO emissions vehicles?
I'm not saying what's what or who is right. NJ and CA law could be this screwed up.
I'm just scratchin' my head on this one.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,259 Posts
LOL, is it a waste of time to ask a simple question? A google search took all of 30 seconds...

"Vehicles on the “Clean Car List” with a PZEV rating emit only two pounds of hydrocarbons over 100,000 miles of driving - equivalent to spilling a pint of gasoline (source: California Air Resources Board). Most of the vehicles on the list are conventional gasoline-fueled vehicles. With advanced technology, the auto manufacturers have been able to achieve ultra-low emissions and a more durable vehicle. In addition to being extremely low emitting, these vehicles come with a 15-year, 150,000 miles (whichever occurs first) emission control warranty."

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
LOL, is it a waste of time to ask a simple question? A google search took all of 30 seconds...

"Vehicles on the “Clean Car List” with a PZEV rating emit only two pounds of hydrocarbons over 100,000 miles of driving - equivalent to spilling a pint of gasoline (source: California Air Resources Board). Most of the vehicles on the list are conventional gasoline-fueled vehicles. With advanced technology, the auto manufacturers have been able to achieve ultra-low emissions and a more durable vehicle. In addition to being extremely low emitting, these vehicles come with a 15-year, 150,000 miles (whichever occurs first) emission control warranty."
Strangely the 2015 2.5 Forester is on the list. The 2015 OB is not.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,405 Posts
Any big problem is a series of smaller problems.

Step 1: Contact Subaru of America:

https://www.subaru.com/customer-support.html

Email and online ways to contact them listed there along with their phone number:

Call Us
1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)

Explain your situation as you have done here. Ask for clarification regarding PZEV status warranty.

Step 2: Get it fixed. Either Subaru will fix it, do as others have suggested go to a muffler shop, or do it yourself.

A muffler shop will likely put a generic cat on which isn't a bad thing but I've had trouble with them on other vehicles.

I strongly recommend against having the dealer fix it as their rate seems to be in the class of highway robbery.

If you want to do it yourself It's right here for 450$ 4 bolts (2 at each end) some hangers and disconnecting the 02 sensors and you'll be done.

Step 3: Report back and let us know what you decided.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts