Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've got a 2015 2.5i Outback that is exhibiting what I know now (after reading up on several very helpful threads) are classic CV joint failure symptoms. It's producing a "knocking" when turning at full lock under low speeds, sounding like it comes from directly under the wheel well. It's at 67,000 miles right now, so it's out of warranty.

After looking under the car, I see no evidence of a boot failure - there are no tears or rips and there is no grease at all in the wheel well. However, several other threads have indicated that the bearings may bind without the boot failing at all.

My question is twofold:
1) I have seen in several other threads that the aftermarket CV axles are junk. However, I'm having trouble finding OEM rebuilt axles for the 2015s on any of the sites that these threads recommend. Has anyone else had any luck getting 2015 CV axles?
2) I have also read that rebooting the axle is an option. However, I'm not sure I understand if this will help in my case. If there is a problem that is causing the joint to bind, rebooting it (adding new grease and a new boot) won't actually fix the problem, will it?

Thank you for your help!

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
If the axle is already gone, rebooting will not help.

I doubt you are going to find any reman out there other than Cardone. Cardone is building new axles for Napa as well as some other brands. Raxles have been reported to have good results.

I am only passing on what I have read here. I have installed a new Cardone axle in a friends Gen3 with no reported issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. That's what I suspected as well.

I can't find any Cardone axles for the 2015 Outback on RockAuto, CARID, or Napa. I'll give Raxles a call tomorrow.

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Call Subaru. You are a few 1000 miles past the drivetrain warranty. If your car has not been modified (lifted etc.), not typical for an original axle to go out this soon. They may do something as a goodwill gesture.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2.5 with Eyesight. 19mm Rear Sway Bar. Steering Dampener Lock Down. HID upgrade from retrofit source.
205 Posts
I have had good luck with Raxles. Good customer service, good pricing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Call Subaru. You are a few 1000 miles past the drivetrain warranty. If your car has not been modified (lifted etc.), not typical for an original axle to go out this soon. They may do something as a goodwill gesture.
Good idea. No harm in trying.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to complete the circle on this thread in case anyone else has the same issue. I called the Subaru dealer, and they said I would be on the hook for the repairs past 60k. I then called Raxles. The guy there was VERY helpful. He talked me through the issue I was having and confirmed that the symptoms sounded like a bad outer CV joint. However, he said that they don't have any 2015s available yet. He recommended that I don't do anything with it yet, since it only occurs at full lockout and not during any normal driving conditions. Eventually it will get worse, and at that time there will (hopefully) be remanufactured 2015 axles available. One of the exits of our neighborhood has a sharp 135-degree turn, so it hits full lockout pretty often. He suspected that that may be part of the cause of the early onset of these symptoms.

Thank you all for your help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts