Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello. First time posting. I don't see an active thread regarding excessive burning of oil in an 2015 Outback 3.6R Limited. I am currently dealing with this issue in my 2015. I purchased the vehicle used this April with aproximately 23K miles on the odometer. I drive a lot of miles to work so I already have the odometer at 42K. The issue is I'm burning through a full quart of mile by the time I get to my next scheduled 6K mile oil change. My long commute should not be the reason for the excessive oil consumption because my previous vehicle (07 Honda Accord V6 sedan) did the exact same commute for 4 years without burning an extra drop of oil. I mentioned this to the dealership at the last oil change but because I didn't check the oil level when last changed, there was no way for me to know if the oil level was low to begin with. This time I checked the level immediately after the service and I'm still seeing excessive consumption.
My question is do I deal with this problem through the dealership or do I attempt to go to the manufacturer? I know this is a sensitive topic for Subaru, so potentially they will want to act quickly to remedy the situation. At least that's what I hope for.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
If you are using a quart every 6k miles, those that matter will not consider that excessive oil consumption. Add oil as needed and head on down the highway.

Honda doesn't have a boxer engine.

Reactions: sirtef9

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Touring, Lapis
58 Posts
BMW tells their owners that unless oil consumption is more than 1 quart every 1k miles, it is not excessive. If your car is only burning a quart every 6k miles, I'd check the oil once/month, fill when 1 quart low and don't worry about it.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
1 quart per 6000 miles is not considered excessive by any current automobile maker. Doubt Subaru (or anyone one else) would have anything to say about it.

Check/change your PCV.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
All my Toyotas burned near 3x that when I ran Mobile 1 after they changed their US formula. I switched to Chevron oils and got it back to 1quart per 5-6000 miles.

You dont have a oil problem. But dont run the Mobile 1 junk or you’ll be burning twice that easily.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,692 Posts
It's Mobil 1 junk, not Mobile 1 junk.

I have the opposite experience with my cars and M1 has done well for me but as these posts show, YMMV.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
It's Mobil 1 junk, not Mobile 1 junk.

I have the opposite experience with my cars and M1 has done well for me but as these posts show, YMMV.
Mobile 1 was great till about early 2000’s forget which yr but the US oil spec was changed. It use to be Euro spec and very good oil but thats not the case today in the US. There is lots of info on this in recent years.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,692 Posts
I think their oils are highly regarded and very robust. They all meet SN spec and within their lineup, they offer very good products.

At one time, during the SM period, people made consumption complaints however that was many years ago. Today even their basic M1 5w-30 will perform very well over any Subie interval. The UOAs with this oil are boring because they hum drum good.

The AFE is built even better than that and their EP is good for up to 15k but even the 10k that I run it in other cars are consistently showing I can run it much longer. Their new Annual Protection is supposedly good for one year or 20k and the basic core specs show it is probably one of the best 5w-30 oils you can buy at Wally World, although it is expensive compared to EP on cost/benefit basis.

Full disclosure - I run Castrol 5w-30 in my Subie and for 18k miles before that, euro spec Castrol 0w-30.

Really, any SN rated oil will perform very well in an OB and the rest of the car will rot, rust or die long before the engine goes kaput based on oil selection.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts