Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 3.6 R with Eyesight/Nav/Moonroof
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Outback factory ordered - picked up 2/21 at 11 miles. 1500miles on it.

I don't know if it is me or something is up with the brakes of OB.

High Speed
- When I am coming to a stop from a high speed, the brake pedal feels nice and solid.
- Can effortlessly stop the car with very little movement of the brake pedal

Low Speed
- When coming to a stop on a long downhill steep slope, by the time I reach the stop sign, brake pedal is half way in and I feel like I don't have enough brake left to stop the car
- At this point, if I push the pedal hard enough, the car will stop but feels like a lot of effort
- During this process, if I let go the pedal slightly, and apply brakes again, I have really good braking - quite effortless

Starting from standstill
- Yesterday for the first time, I put car in reverse within 5 seconds of starting, and it started to move
- BUT when I applied brakes they felt like there was not enough pressure to stop the car! Kinda scary.

In general, if I let go the brake pedal and apply again, I have much better braking. But I don't feel this way in my 2000 Honda Accord.

What do you guys think could be the problem? I do need to see a dealer for checking it,but would like to research it before I go.

I am feeling quite down that a brand new car is having such problems. :|

Thanks,

·
Registered
26 Posts
Symptom really sounds like air in a brake line. Semi*-easily fixed by bleeding the brakes.

*Semi part is to actually totally bleed brakes you need an ABS scan tool, which your dealer most definitely has.

The whole pressing down with a weak pedal and then on the next time it being ok is indicative of compressing the air with the first push and then with it already compressed the brakes work properly. Eventually the air expands volume and you have to do over again.

·
Registered
2015 Carbide Gray 3.6R
553 Posts
I agree, could be air in the lines. I would take it to the dealer.

Also, just to see if it improves anything, try cracking your reservoir, pump the brake pedal until it's really stiff (3-5 times) and then close the lid.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Touring 6-spd manual
103 Posts
Just had an unpleasant experience on my way to work this morning. No warning, no noises or sounds, brake pedal went to the floor -- total brake failure. 2015 OB, 15,200 km on it, never a problem before other than an O2 sensor that failed a few months back. Never had a brake issue before of any kind. I was at low speed, maybe 2 km/h, slower than walking speed. Coasting to a stop at a red light like I normally do, car in neutral and clutch fully in. Went to hit the brake and there was nothing there, right to the floor. Hit it again, still nothing there, still rolling towards the back of a gravel truck stopped in front of me. Activated the emergency/parking brake, that also did nothing. I crunched into the back of the gravel truck -- pretty good damage to the hood and just above the grill from the frame of the truck, plus broke the passenger-side headlight lens. Gravel truck driver didn't even feel it -- there was no impact at all, no jolt, just the horrible noise of tearing metal. No damage to the truck. I unbuckled to go take a look, the light changed and the gravel truck drove away. He was the last vehicle to get through the light, so I inched up to the stop line hoping the brakes would be there to stop me, and when I hit the brake pedal they worked normally. Tried the parking brake, it worked normally as well. Figured I'd test the parking brake to see if it was holding the car, but of course as soon as I put the car in gear and moved it forward a few feet the parking brake disengaged (hill-holder function, I guess). Drove the car slowly but normally to the dealership and left it with them. Had no further brake issues on the way to the dealer.

Hopefully the dealer finds something wrong that can be fixed; if they tell me I'm crazy and it was my fault and there's nothing wrong with it, I don't see how I can trust this car again. If they do find an issue, once it's repaired I wouldn't have any problem driving it again. If they can't find a problem, I'll probably get it fixed under insurance and then look to trade it in on something -- another Subaru? Don't know. Pretty shaken up.

Don't know much about the electronics in new cars, is a brake failure the kind of thing that should leave a code somewhere in the system to diagnose? Haven't found any other reports of anything like this anywhere on the web yet, other than the OP's notes which are not exactly the same case. Hope it's just a part that failed somewhere, glad it didn't happen on the highway home last night.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
All cars have two stages in the brake booster. I recall like 2012 or 13 there were batch of cars that had a faulty seal that would impact the first stage or primary stage in the booster. If a pedal goes to the floor you can pump it and you generally can get enough pressure out of the booster with the secondary stage to stop the car. But if you don't pump the pedal your not going to get anything regarding stopping power if the booster has a flaw causing issues with generating brake line pressure.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R EyeSight, 20mm RSB, STB, 2" ECOhitch
627 Posts
This is about as serious as it gets. Should not be possible to loose all brakes. I hope this gets elevated to SOA soon as a recall would be expected. As Subisailor stated dual brake systems are designed to prevent this, and without a mechanical parking brake you are just out of luck. Pumping peddle might work, might not. Glad you weren't going faster.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
If you hold the parking brake button down it will activate and bring the car to a stop, it won't lock up the rear wheels but will tighten enough to haul the car to a stop pretty quick.

·
Registered
627 Posts
If you hold the parking brake button down it will activate and bring the car to a stop, it won't lock up the rear wheels but will tighten enough to haul the car to a stop pretty quick.
Providing it is not affected by the same failure. This assumes the ebrake uses completely separate system to activate the pads.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,927 Posts
This assumes the ebrake uses completely separate system to activate the pads.
It does. There is a separate, electrically-driven piston in each rear brake caliper.

If you hold the parking brake button down it will activate and bring the car to a stop ...
Starting in 2015, you pull the parking brake switch up to apply the rear brakes.

Reactions: GeneT

·
Registered
627 Posts
It does. There is a separate, electrically-driven piston in each rear brake caliper.

Starting in 2015, you pull the parking brake switch up to apply the rear brakes.
Thank you, this is very nice to know!

·
Registered
2016 Outback Touring 6-spd manual
103 Posts
So, dealer had the car all day, couldn't find anything wrong with it. No codes, behaved normally for two different test drivers. They're keeping it overnight to look at it again tomorrow but I'm not optimistic that they'll find anything. After all, it worked fine for me right up until it didn't.

Assuming they tell me the car is normal, and putting yourself in my shoes, would you be comfortable taking the car back and continuing to drive it? Would you be comfortable putting your kids back in it?

·
Registered
627 Posts
So, dealer had the car all day, couldn't find anything wrong with it. No codes, behaved normally for two different test drivers. They're keeping it overnight to look at it again tomorrow but I'm not optimistic that they'll find anything. After all, it worked fine for me right up until it didn't.

Assuming they tell me the car is normal, and putting yourself in my shoes, would you be comfortable taking the car back and continuing to drive it? Would you be comfortable putting your kids back in it?
If it did it once it will most likely do it again. I would never be comfortable with it unless they fixed something.

·
Premium Member
2016 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5i w/ Eyesight package, pushbutton start, crystal black w/ black leather
439 Posts

Probably not. I am so sorry. Scary. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I doubt seriously they will even give you the car back unless they do something. This is the kind of thing that can seriously damage a car company. Brake systems are supposed to be fail safe. They have a problem where one intermittent fault messes up their system, unless thy figure it out there could be a serious accident. I would be pretty sure they will be on the phone with Subaru engineers to figure out how to proceed. Wouldn't be surprised if they change the entire brake control system to be safe and to send it in for analysis.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R + 2017 Outback 3.6R. Ice Silver & Ice Silver. Like the cold?
333 Posts
^^ That's totally correct on what they should do, but I'd make certain that's what they actually did. Hard to trust people (and businesses) at times. Well, it is for me... ;)
I had an "exploding" type Honda airbag they never sent me a notice for - found the recall myself.

Wouldn't trust the car with my kids (or anyone) if it had some serious unknown fault. I'd call corporate and have them arrange for other dealers / factory techs to do the above.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts