Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I did search and read through a lot of threads. My outback has 52k miles and the front pads are 2mm and the rear are 3mm. I was thinking of changing things out. My mechanic uses powerstop and recommended those. I was thinking of buying akebano pads and centric premium rotors or trying to find oem parts themselves. Which route did you guys go?

Would you recommend replacing rotors or just pads? I plan on flushing brake fluid at this time as well. Thanks

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
There was a brake change half way through the 2015 build. You'll need the VIN to get the right parts. Because of this I went with Subaru brakes because no other parts store could figure it out. You'll also need a brake tool set for the rear brakes to get the pistons pushed down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was a brake change half way through the 2015 build. You'll need the VIN to get the right parts. Because of this I went with Subaru brakes because no other parts store could figure it out. You'll also need a brake tool set for the rear brakes to get the pistons pushed down.

Wow, that's the first I have ever heard of that. Any idea what changed?

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited, 2018 Lexus LX570, 1998 Toyota LC 100, 1987 Toyota FJ60
759 Posts
I've had my rear brakes done once and the fronts are still good after 100k. I'm sticking with stock brakes. Every time I go with a theoretical 'upgrade' it causes some problem. I'd rather go mountain biking or skiing than deal with self induced problems.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just called three local dealers. They all said the same thing, brakes all are the same for 15,16,17 etc. They looked up my bin to make sure. All 3 dealers state they turn rotors twice before replacing. They wanted 274 per axle which includes pads and turning of the rotors. I decided to buy the pads and rotors online for 360 shipped and will do it myself to save money. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Best of luck. At least if the brakes don't fit you'll know the reason. I originally bought my brakes at AutoZone, part of the problem right there, then the subi dealer squared me away and got me the right ones. If the dealers are saying there's no difference then go with it. I've been pleased and have had zero issues with the new brakes.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited
6 Posts
I just did my rear breaks at 3mm. The fronts were still at 6mm. The rotors were fine and just light sanded them. You’ll need the special tool to push back and twist the caliper piston at the same time. O’riely auto parts have loaners. I went with the top of the line break pads from our local high end store. Easy just job really.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
840 Posts
Centric (painted) and EBC (Geomet) are both black coated and look nice. Powerstop are silver/grey "Evolution Coated", (another Geomet). The silver Powerstops look nice too.
You might be able to save $ by doing an on the car rotor resurfacing if the current 52Ks will still exceed discard thickness after cutting. I doubt one could tell any difference in stopping based on rotor choice alone. (plain style, not slotted-drilled etc)
You'll love Akebonos on new or re-surfaced rotors. It's the only pad I've used on my cars and have always been entirely happy with the results. There are brake pads that claim to stop better than Akebono but come with reported tradeoffs. (Dust, noise, longevity etc.). The braking difference using extreme performance pads on a daily driver vs Akebono aren't great enough to outweigh their negative attributes. If I had to pick an aftermarket rotor I'd get EBC. I used to use Centrics. The EBC, (and Powerstops), Geomet coating is more thorough and goes completely through the cooling vanes. They cost about the same as Centrics.
These are EBC rotors I got for my Outback.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts