Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Honda / Toyota / Outback??
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have anyone seen or experiencing this? I have a 2015 Outback.
Eyesight center display next to mile per hour & RPM showing small display info and horizontal various color line, please see attached. Tried playing with the left hand side up/down control but didn't fix the issue. Dealer indicate have replace the whole cluster meter although the RPM/MPG and all Eyesight functions still works fine, just showing small display.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Crystal White Pearl with Ivory Cloth, with Eyesight and self dimming outside mirrors.
359 Posts
Can you get a better picture of that, maybe don't use the flash. Has it always done this or did it just start.

·
Registered
18,148 Posts
. . . Tried playing with the left hand side up/down control but didn't fix the issue.
Did the screen display change and "set" as it should when this was tried?

Dealer indicate have replace the whole cluster meter although the RPM/MPG and all Eyesight functions still works fine, just showing small display.
Did the dealer work on the problem before coming to that conclusion, or was that just an initial response to a verbal description or a quick look at the odd display?

The LCD display in the instrument panel is controlled by a microprocessor that is always powered, at least to some degree, even when the ignition is turned off. It's possible that when the ignition is turned Off, the microprocessor doesn't fully shut down; instead, only the lighting for the display is turned off while the processor goes into a "sleep" mode. Then, when the ignition is turned on again, the processor recovers and the same display as before appears. If for some reason the display develops a glitch (as is the case here), it will show up again every time. However, if the microprocessor could be forced to do a full "reboot", then I wonder if it might revert to the factory "default" display and continue normally after that. If the dealer actually did some troubleshooting, this might have been tried.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Crystal White Pearl with Ivory Cloth, with Eyesight and self dimming outside mirrors.
359 Posts
How about if he disconnected the battery for a while?

·
Registered
18,148 Posts
I guess that might be a possibility, although it would probably also reset the ECU, TCU, radio setting, window up/down controls, trip meter, etc., leading to issues until everything is "relearned". That's why I was wondering what the dealer might have tried.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,498 Posts
I guess that might be a possibility, although it would probably also reset the ECU, TCU, radio setting, window up/down controls, trip meter, etc., leading to issues until everything is "relearned". That's why I was wondering what the dealer might have tried.
It seems like that would be worth trying, anyway. It's easy enough to do, and other than resetting the windows and perhaps noting some odds and ends, there aren't a lot of things he would have to mess with. Write down the trip odometers, average and lifetime mileage if you're tracking those. Some of the audio settings like balance, fade, and custom EQ settings might be lost, but I don't think the radio presets will be lost (they weren't for me).

ECU and TCU will relearn by themselves after a few drives.

It's simple, and if it fixes the problem, it's potentially a huge savings in cost and the risk of rattles caused by disassembling the dashboard.

Things like this are why, for the first time ever, I sprung for an extended warranty on a car. There are just too many electronic geegaws that will be expensive to replace now.

·
Registered
Honda / Toyota / Outback??
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally had a chance to disconnect the battery for a long while (1 hour) so it will reset the whole system. Re-connected the battery and the display is still the same, no change.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts