Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have questions on replacing the rear brake pads on my 2015 Outback with EPB. I have read several posts on this subject, but it is still not clear to me on the correct procedure. The information I found varies from "the EPB is either all on, or all off, so nothing special has to be done...to "we hooked up a 12V adaptor to the caliper's electric motor to retract it"...to "the Subaru manual states that if a scan tool is not available then just use the rotating compression tool on the piston"...to "remove the electric motor from the caliper and manually screw in the piston with a torx driver"...so do I need to retract the piston beyond just releasing the parking brake with the button on the console...and does the piston need to be rotated when compressed back into the caliper, or just pushed in straight? I am capable of performing any of these procedures except the one requiring a scan tool at this time. Thank for any possible clarification on this.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,727 Posts
..."the Subaru manual states that if a scan tool is not available then just use the rotating compression tool on the piston"...
Believe the FSM.
NOTE:
Perform the following replacement procedure if the Subaru Select Monitor cannot be used.
1. Remove the disc brake assembly and the pad - disc brake rear.
2. Remove the bolt securing the lower side of the support - rear disc brake, loosen the upper side, and then raise the support - rear disc brake to secure.
3. Secure the disc brake assembly as shown in the figure, and push back the piston using the tool.
• Do not remove the parking brake actuator assembly except when there are system malfunctions (such as emergency release of parking brake or abnormal actuator) or when the caliper is replaced. When the parking brake actuator assembly is reused, always replace the O-ring with a new part contained in the caliper body assembly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts