Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening,

My 2015 2.5 Limited has 30,800 miles. Since we are coming off winter weather here in JAX, I am running the A/C again. The original long cranking time started back in 2016 and at 15,000 and after a trip to Subaru for the 15k oil change, they replaced what they called a cracked battery, battery fluid running everywhere. The problem was it was taking a long time to start, especially after running multiple errands where you are running the AC, stopping for an errand, starting it back to run to the next errand and so on. After it sits for an hour or longer, it seemed to start fine.

After the battery was replaced, all seemed fine until the end of November 2017 at 28,000 and the same problem returned, but this time the battery eventually died and another trip back to Subaru, explained the battery seemed to be leaking yet again and the long start times but this time was dead when heading to work one morning. Note, nothing left on and all 'on' items are turned off prior to shutting the vehicle off, every time. The battery was replaced and tested. they also reprogrammed the ECM which they said would allow the generator to start charging the battery quicker.

At the 30k service, I mentioned again about the starting issue as we had some warmer weather and had run multi errands the day before and the long crank times were starting back. They said all battery tests were at normal or better and the generator was charging at normal or better. Also, let them know I seem to always smell radiator fluid after parking in the garage and walking past the front end as I exit the garage, but I have never found fluid low or any leaks at any time since we brought it home. They found nothing with regards to the radiator or fluid level. I did have them document all this as well, again, and they stated they would as I mentioned we are nearing the warranty expiration.

Now we are out yesterday running multiple errands, with AC running Max to Auto and after each stop, getting in to start to go to the next spot, each start was taking longer than the previous start so the last startup was long, and slow cranking as if it was not going to start. Then, we make it home, it sits for a couple hours before we leave for the evening and it starts up just fine. Starts up just fine this a.m., after church, after lunch where we drove an hour to meet the folks.

So here I am, seeking help beyond my local Subaru dealership as they are unable to replicate the problem as I drive to Subaru, stop to wait for them to open, they start it up just fine and are unable to reproduce the problem due to not running any type errands with my Subaru, and of course they are not going to volunteer a tech to run errand with me. Perhaps I need to just run all the errands THEN go to Subaru ;)

Anyone else experience this or have heard of this. They have no ideas at this time but I am nearing the end of the manufactures warranty and would really like to get this fixed. There is nothing really out of the ordinary when it happens. We are Florida so the AC is running nearly all year long. Like mentioned before, nothing is left on prior to shutting the Subie off so nothing is on when the Subie starts. I would classify my driving as primary city and I baby it all the time. Oil changed every 5k at Subaru. A/C will vary inside from Max to start out to Auto once the temp is comfortable.

Adivice, thoughts, recommendations? Please let me know if I have left out any details or need to provide more.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,197 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Eagleeye,

I want to say that the second battery was a Napa battery, but I need to check my paper work. The third battery is a Subaru battery though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts