Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching without luck...please point me in the right direction if this is addressed in depth somewhere else, since I'm new here! Thanks. :)

I have a 2015 Outback with 90,000 miles on it. I bought it new and it has had intermittent oil consumption issues. The dealer did oil consumption tests a few years back and said at that time it was using a high level of oil, but not enough to fail the test. When the lawsuit came out a couple years, ago, I called Subaru to tell them I was having consumption issues and they made note of it, but said I didn't need to do anything since it wasn't technically failing. The problem seemed to go away for a while, but this winter, my oil light started going off again in between changes.

The dealer did another consumption test and said in March that it failed. They recommended the short block replacement for $6K and told me to call Subaru of America to see if they'd help. Subaru said they'd cover $4K and I needed to cover $2K.

My question: Is there anything I can do about this? It looks like the 2015 Outback is not covered by the lawsuit, which seems to just address 2013 and 2014 Outbacks. The guy I spoke to from Subaru said that the car was out of warranty by 10,000 miles, which seemed weird -- I don't remember an 80,000 mile warranty. (And of course this is the one car purchase I've made in the last 20 years for which I did not buy the extended warranty.)

I don't want to pay $2K for a problem that has existed for many years. And from what I'm reading, I'm not even confident that the short block replacement will fix the issue.

Advice, pointers, or resources I can check out as I decide what to do?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,338 Posts
you have 3 choices (well 4 if SOA is willing to go for #4)

1. repair the car Footing 2 out of 6K is not a bad offer by any means This is the option I would go with personally
2. Sell the car as is.
3. continue to drive the car and add oil as needed.
4. See if SOA will give you an additional trade in allowance towards a newer Subaru.

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,349 Posts
The best solution would be for SOA to cover the whole cost but if the next best choice is paying $2000 for a new short block (which will definitely fix the problem of oil burning due to weak rings) on a five year old vehicle that would be my choice.

A new short block effectively replaces all of the wearing parts in the engine (excluding the heads) which should mean you will get a further 200,000 to 300,000 miles out of the engine.

Oil burning can also be caused by other issues such as a faulty PCV valve (which may be the actual cause of your oil burning) and replacing the short block will not fix this problem.

Seagrass

1 - 3 of 3 Posts