Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a 2nd or 3rd opinion on a problem I am having with the power tail gate.

The tail gate opens but when it reaches the max height it chirps once and then begins to slowly lower.

This sequence seems the same as what is described in the owner's manual in cases where the tail gate is opened with excess snow on the door.

Since there is no snow here at this point in time my thought is that the closing is being caused by the lift struts not being able to support the weight of the tail gate.

My thought is that the fix is to replace the struts.

Any thoughts or comments?

Rick

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,512 Posts
Does it do this if you "help" it open the final bit by pushing upward with your hand as it approaches max height? If that avoids the problem, then the struts seem a likely culprit to me. If that works, and it sags after standing open, that suggests even more strongly that it's the struts.

Presuming you're not still in warranty, as a workaround, can you set the tailgate memory function so that it opens to slightly less than full height? That's not a great solution (OK... it's a kludge) but it's got to be cheaper and easier, with much less chance for introducing new problems, than replacing the struts. If it is still in warranty, take it to a dealer and say "fix this!"

I have to admit that I'm not really a fan of these things. Mine has worked correctly almost all the time so far (knock wood!) and I've even come to appreciate it at times, but presume it's going to become a problem sooner rather than later, as you're finding.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue on my 2017 Subaru Outback. The power liftgate opens just fine, but when it is fully open, it chirps 3 times and begins to close. I engage the automatic reverse and the liftgate goes up to fully open, beeps and stays there. Very strange. Could it be a touchy sensor at the top of the range of motion that is causing the reverse function to kick in?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts