Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 346 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Outback XT 5M KYB GR2, King Springs
40 Posts
The turbo would a nice return to the product line. I love my OBXT manual. Although I assume this will come with the CVT.

I guess it is time to adapt.

You can't even buy a Ferrari with a manual anymore. Same for the Porsche GT3. Efficiency and performance benefits perhaps don't exist with manuals anymore but that's not why I want one.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,766 Posts
Efficiency and performance benefits perhaps don't exist with manuals anymore but that's not why I want one.
Agreed. I want one for the pure driving enjoyment of using 3 pedals and a shifter. But I think the new OB with it's size isn't the right platform for a MT.

The mirrors seem to mirror what all manufacturers are doing (Subaru included) by mounting them on the door and adding the quarter window for better visibility. Ugly from the outside IMO, but I suppose a change for the good.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Premium - Former: Golf TDI
454 Posts
Thanks for sending on - gives me even more incentive to pass up this 2014 Limited SAP I'm testing out for the day and see what the 2015 brings!

I already spy auto up/down on all four windows, better gauge cluster, and soft-touch dash which are all fantastic changes if they make it into the US production version. My goal is to get back a little of the VW/Audi flavor I lost with my current Outback

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the 2013 Outback as a safe car to move kids around... I'm not a fan of SUV's and minivans. When my older one starts driving in 6 years, it will be his. I've personally been longing for the new Jaguar F-Type. I'm hoping they loose their value as quickly as other jags and will pick one up coming off lease. No manual in the F-Type either yet.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
There was a thread yesterday with the matching Legacy spy shots. In those, it looked as though the roof were considerably wider. But I don't see that (or as much of it) in this picture of the outback, so maybe it was just the angle.

Of course this outback still has that terrible roof rack and serrated rocker cladding, my 2 least favorite design features.

I am pleased to see evidence that they've gone back to a single row headlight. The stacked up design from the '10-'14 was much more at home on sprinter vans and city buses anyway.

We're only about 6-8 months from seeing it officially unveiled anyway, and maybe a year from seeing it on dealer lots. Exciting!

I think manual transmissions are officially a feature of old cars at this point. I enjoy them myself from time to time, but I really don't mind them going away. Too much of my normal driving happens in conditions where a manual isn't fun.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Seems like the interior is nicely refreshed - the hazard button in the center is very euro. New to Subaru and hoping to get a 2015 - but would also love a 2014 model end - but this 2015 seems very exciting

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Touring (Wilderness Green)
376 Posts
Looking at the spy shots, it actually looks a bit like they are bringing back some design elements from the 2nd/3rd gen, and adding a couple new design elements.

I kinda want to see what the heck they did with the grill. Looks kinda mean.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Not thrilled with the rear spoiler, those corners don't look camouflaged and appear to copy the BMW X or possibly the Juke?

It cracks me up when Subaru said they wanted their own design language, but then followed it with a car that borrowed heavily from the worst parts of a freightliner (headlights) CR-V (window shape and trim) Avalanche (roof rack and cladding) and Camry (rear lighting). And then filled all the space in between with flat sheet metal.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Looking at the spy shots, it actually looks a bit like they are bringing back some design elements from the 2nd/3rd gen, and adding a couple new design elements.

I kinda want to see what the heck they did with the grill. Looks kinda mean.
Agreed - ESPECIALLY the headlights. The shape/flow could not be any more similar although it does look like the have grown a bit (and will likely include LED's like EVERY other car maker on earth now).

Not so sold on the roofrail design - however a lot of this stuff is likely to change. I don't expect them to remove much of the "rugged" touches like the tonka toy block side sills - the Gen 4 has been such a huge hit, they'll likely not stray too far.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Seems like the interior is nicely refreshed - the hazard button in the center is very euro. New to Subaru and hoping to get a 2015 - but would also love a 2014 model end - but this 2015 seems very exciting
You know, besides looking better, that's such a better position for the hazards. Right now the hazard button is directly in line with where the shift lever goes leading to me hitting it all the time with my hand - about as stupid of a design "feature" as having the oil filter wedged between hot exhaust in the 10-12 model 4 cylinders :28:

In addition to the soft touches, etc. I'm hoping they add some brushed metal trim around the vents, etc. to flair it up a bit. Maybe it's the VW/Audi in me but I think a few brushed trims add a bit of class like in the 2012+ Passats. I'd also love some porous wood trim and fabric a-pillars but at that point I may as well just go buy an Allroad haha

·
Registered
157 Posts
You know, besides looking better, that's such a better position for the hazards. Right now the hazard button is directly in line with where the shift lever goes leading to me hitting it all the time with my hand - about as stupid of a design "feature" as having the oil filter wedged between hot exhaust in the 10-12 model 4 cylinders :28:

In addition to the soft touches, etc. I'm hoping they add some brushed metal trim around the vents, etc. to flair it up a bit. Maybe it's the VW/Audi in me but I think a few brushed trims add a bit of class like in the 2012+ Passats

Definately on the same page with you - hope the 2015 retains the rugged looks of the 2014 with refinements - would love leatherette interior. accents as you mentioned , etc. Hope price dosent go crazy - its a lot of car for the price.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,016 Posts
Looks like memory seats in a non SAP. Could be mirror controls though. Rear end/slope looks a bit retro, like older WRX. Not liking the outside mirror treatment. Stereo has a Macintosh look. Much wider center console armrest. No more electronic parking brake. No tweeties in the dash?

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,970 Posts
They are following the same trend as they did with Impreza/ Forester. Move the front window out 7 inches lower the dash put little front triangle windows in front of the mirrors which are mounted on the body. I see less c pillar metal and more window. I predict a carry over 2.5 for lower trims with perhaps the use of DI and a turbo 4 for higher end models. The dash looks like the new forester in design and materials

·
Registered
2006 Outback Wagon 2.5i 5spd MT Atlantic Blue Pearl
261 Posts
Wow....looks more like an updated 3rd gen than a continuation of the 4th gen. That is, looks more wagony than SUVy. Not that I plan on replacing my 3rd gen anytime soon, but the 5th gen looks like what I'll eventually own.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Ltd 2.5 w/ moon light
52 Posts
Looks like memory seats in a non SAP. Could be mirror controls though. [...] Stereo has a Macintosh look. Much wider center console armrest. No more electronic parking brake. No tweeties in the dash?
Where do you see all that? The picture above is of a VW Passat dash.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i LTD / Auto
26 Posts
He he. "Spy shots." In keeping form, folks are sure to point out everything "wrong" with the 2015 model and justify why it's best to wait for the 2016, 2017, 2018, etc.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Limited TBM
30 Posts
I already spy auto up/down on all four windows,
This feature scares me. Needs an override.

I have an irrational fear that my dog might somehow step on the switch in just the right/wrong way and get strangled before I could stop or stop it or whatever.

Definitely would be a distraction in traffic! And, with enough traffic, something like that could be as spectacular as a NASCAR restrictor plate race crash.

1 - 20 of 346 Posts