Subaru Outback Forums banner

301 - 320 of 346 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT, 2015 3.6R Ltd (sold)
951 Posts
New site for Subaru at the New York Auto Show: SUBARU | New York International Auto Show 2014

According to this page, the "site will feature information updates relating to the New York International Auto Show including Subaru's press conference."
Thanks but not new. The link is to the same landing page (with the countdown timer) that's been up for a couple of weeks and was posted here a while back. They're going to be streaming the unveiling live tomorrow morning on that page, after which they'll post the usual info, specs and so forth. Pricing will come later.

The global site, subaru hyphen global dot com, is always interesting. Everyone should check it out if you haven't already. The models shown there are the ROW (rest of world) versions of Subaru products, and there are a lot of products and options listed there that aren't for sale in North America. The "accessories" page is particularly interesting.

·
Registered
2015 OB Limited 2.5i PZEV MR, Keyless Access & Push-Button Start, Nav, Eyesight - Tungsten Metallic
1,313 Posts
Getting Close

This would make a nice car cover for the garage

·
Registered
2015 OB Limited 2.5i PZEV MR, Keyless Access & Push-Button Start, Nav, Eyesight - Tungsten Metallic
1,313 Posts
Forest or City?

Here's the other side - from twitter. Which is your Outback - Forest or City? (see previous post)

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,970 Posts
I have never seen so much hush hush around a new car intro. This could lead up to a big nothing (Legacy on stilts) or something different

·
Registered
14' OB 2.5i Premium, CGM
87 Posts
I have never seen so much hush hush around a new car intro. This could lead up to a big nothing (Legacy on stilts) or something different
We've already seen a sneak corner shot from Subaru with the headlight and part of the grill. We've seen the black boxy camo test mule shots. I honestly don't expect any big surprises here, the only unknowns are what the lower front bumper and fascia are going to look like and anything behind the rear doors.

Subaru will stay right in line with the Legacy design cues like they always have, I expect interior will look exactly like the Legacy until you get past the rear seats just like every generation to this point and I expect the power train to follow suit.

There may be a slim possibility that they'll surprise us with an XT but considering they were able to get the job done without a turbo last Gen I don't see the need for them to reintroduce it this time around.

We know 65-75% of what this car will be for certain, tomorrow will just be that last 25% that Subaru has done a fairly good job of keeping under wraps. If you like the new Legacy then more than likely you'll like what you see with the new Outback.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
892 Posts
I'm sure it's just the pic, but looks incredibly long nosed! Seriously, the A pillar looks like it comes down at about 1/2 the length.

I'm mostly interested to find out if I made a mistake in getting a 14 rather than waiting 4 or 5 months. Part of me just wanted a new car sooner. Another part told me it's better to get a perfected version of the last model cycle rather than a buggy version of a new model cycle. Considering the early issues with the gen 4's, such as back-up power, steering wheel shakes, weaker suspensions, etc.

Styling I'm sure I'll like but isn't all that important to me.

Engines? Specifically if the 6 cyl remains or if they go to a turbo 4. Likewise a diesel option would be interesting. I don't really expect any changes but could be surprised.

Transmission? I'd expect they added a CVT on whatever bigger engine option they have, and that the 5EAT is no longer available on the OB. But could be surprised

Angles: The main off-pavement weakness of the OB is take off angle. Don't think they'll totally "fix" it, but making it a bit better wouldn't be too difficult.

X-mode? Whether justified or not, I was/am a little nervous about the off-pavement prowess of the AWD system they paired with the CVT. Thought X-mode on the Foresters is a cool feature and don't see why it wouldn't transfer to the OB.

Any other cool features that may be added.

·
Registered
14' OB 2.5i Premium, CGM
87 Posts
I'm mostly interested to find out if I made a mistake in getting a 14 rather than waiting 4 or 5 months. Part of me just wanted a new car sooner. Another part told me it's better to get a perfected version of the last model cycle rather than a buggy version of a new model cycle.
I'm in the same boat but IMO it's better to wait until at least mid or late gen to hop on board, let everyone else get the bugs worked out and let Subaru decide if they want to do a face lift. I personally prefer the look of the 2013-2014 to the 2010-2012 OB, I'm a sucker for oversized fogs. The majority of the early issues with Gen 4 were sorted out although we get to be the guinea pigs on the new FB series engine so it's a trade off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm in the same boat but IMO it's better to wait until at least mid or late gen to hop on board, let everyone else get the bugs worked out and let Subaru decide if they want to do a face lift. I personally prefer the look of the 2013-2014 to the 2010-2012 OB, I'm a sucker for oversized fogs. The majority of the early issues with Gen 4 were sorted out although we get to be the guinea pigs on the new FB series engine so it's a trade off.
You can say I want the old proven one over the new untested model but the reality (maybe just for me) is every time you see the new one … you may feel like 'dang I should have waited !" … I felt that way when I leased a 2008 Audi A6 and then they did some serious refreshing / exterior tweaks … but I did love the look of the car I was driving over the LED glare AUdi was heading towards .. so to each their own

On another note - my 2005.5 A6 (a total absolute re-design) was a considerably more reliable and problem free car than my end of rev 2008 (2 water pumps before 15K !) .. so not sure about the new model = buggy stuff … at least in my experience

·
Registered
14' OB 2.5i Premium, CGM
87 Posts
You can say I want the old proven one over the new untested model but the reality (maybe just for me) is every time you see the new one … you may feel like 'dang I should have waited !" … I felt that way when I leased a 2008 Audi A6 and then they did some serious refreshing / exterior tweaks … but I did love the look of the car I was driving over the LED glare AUdi was heading towards .. so to each their own

On another note - my 2005.5 A6 (a total absolute re-design) was a considerably more reliable and problem free car than my end of rev 2008 (2 water pumps before 15K !) .. so not sure about the new model = buggy stuff … at least in my experience
Believe me I completely understand the feeling of wanting the latest and greatest and when I decided to get my 14 I knew a new gen was right around the corner so it was definitely a consideration. In the end I knew the platform at the end of gen 4 was solid so that's where I put my money. If Subaru shows us something really great looking tomorrow then sure there will be some envy but I won't be rushing out to trade off my 14.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Believe me I completely understand the feeling of wanting the latest and greatest and when I decided to get my 14 I knew a new gen was right around the corner so it was definitely a consideration. In the end I knew the platform at the end of gen 4 was solid so that's where I put my money. If Subaru shows us something really great looking tomorrow then sure there will be some envy but I won't be rushing out to trade off my 14.
And in 3 or 4 years … they'll have another brand new thing and all the 15' & 16's er's will be wondering & debating … it's a never ending cycle that nobody can stay ahead of so the moral of the story is: if you love your current ride than thats all that counts

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Blk.
34 Posts
I think what also might be throwing the proportions off is the roof rack. It pulls the roof line higher then it would normally look without a cover over it.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,025 Posts
Please let them incorporate Apple Carplay. I'm beating against it, but one can hope.

Thank you for not including pics or video, reminiscent of that last typo.

see the new outback unveiling at the NY autoshow at Subaru.com at 10:55am EDT

Edit: press is inside right now milling about, have not seen subaru pics yet.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I got over that a long time ago. Now I watch my retirement funds grow and really don't give a rats ------ about what I'm driving as long as it gets the job done in no drama manner.

·
Registered
59 Posts
And in 3 or 4 years … they'll have another brand new thing and all the 15' & 16's er's will be wondering & debating … it's a never ending cycle that nobody can stay ahead of so the moral of the story is: if you love your current ride than thats all that counts
Cha-ching, but it's still fun to wonder. In the end, everything gets old.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can say I want the old proven one over the new untested model but the reality (maybe just for me) is every time you see the new one … you may feel like 'dang I should have waited !"
I currently have a 3G Acura TL so nah I don't feel that way :) and I just hope that mine lasts forever.

I think there is some merit to waiting out the first couple years though. Had a Nissan Murano which was problematic, which in hind sight might've been a 1st run thing and I looked at the 4th OBK in 2011 but there was the steering issue that put me off. Looked at the OBK again recently when shopping, but in the end decided on a Forester XT which is a newer car...

·
Registered
Past 2004 WRX Wagon, Past 2010 STI SE
18 Posts
Thank you for not including pics or video, reminiscent of that last typo.

see the new outback unveiling at the NY autoshow at Subaru.com at 10:55am EDT

Edit: press is inside right now milling about, have not seen subaru pics yet.
Hahaha.

301 - 320 of 346 Posts