Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i
113 Posts
I am very interested in this product, do you guys think Subaru will produce one?
Do Outbacks ever get some of the goodies that the WRX or STI gets from Subaru (STI), or at least a few like this tower brace.

Since i am in Canada, it might be easier and chepaer to wait for a Subaru made front tower brace sold at the dealer.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I am very interested in this product, do you guys think Subaru will produce one?
Do Outbacks ever get some of the goodies that the WRX or STI gets from Subaru (STI), or at least a few like this tower brace.

Since i am in Canada, it might be easier and chepaer to wait for a Subaru made front tower brace sold at the dealer.

I can't see Subaru producing one of their own, but I guess it's possible.

We used to see more wrx/sti parts showing up on outbacks when the two cars were more similar to each other.

Over the years the platforms have diverged and not as many things will carry over, and Subaru seems content to leave it that way.

Many of the best goodies have been only available by special order from Japan, and it seems like that list of goodies gets shorter with each new generation of the outback.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R, Venetian Red Pearl/Black Interior
227 Posts
Just added to my list of parts to order for my 2016 Outback 3.6R that is due in the end of September.

SSD Performance has made one and it works as advertised...really tightens up the front end....simple install. With the larger rear sway bar my Outback suspension mods are complete.

Subaru Products

Well done SSD...

·
Registered
'18 Accord EX-L 2.0t; Wife's car: '16 3.6r Ltd. w/ Eyesight
855 Posts
Looks interesting. If it catches on like the 19mm RSB upgrade, I'd buy it.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Premium w Eyesight
1,510 Posts
Two questions....
Is there any downside in handling or ride quality to either the rear antisway bar or front tower brace?
Will this violate the warranty?

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,235 Posts
The latest Gen has been strengthen considerable not like the older Gen which flex so it not as important as it use to be. This topic has its Hatfields vs McGraw crowd so I will bow out quietly.

·
Premium Member
3,235 Posts
Two questions....
Is there any downside in handling or ride quality to either the rear antisway bar or front tower brace?
Will this violate the warranty?
No not in the least.

RSB is to decrease understeer which brings the rear around faster for a more spirited driving in turns, a big plus in overall feeling of sport tuned suspension.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Realistically I think it is a waste of money. We are talking about an Outback with ~9" of ground clearance. You are NOT going to take it to any track days. I had a 2011 Outback, which needed more support, that I put the STI rear Sway bar, upgrade 2013 front sway bar and front tower brace. The front tower brace resulted in a VERY small improvement on the 2011. Essentially in the Gen IV & V Outbacks (along with many modern cars) the front strut tower is located near the firewall (one of the strongest points in the entire vehicle). I drove a 2014 and the 2015 (2016 on order). They have really reinforced the front suspension to the point I think you will gain nothing in adding the bar. If you want it for the looks, great. If you have money to burn, great. But I think you will be sorely underwhelmed with the results.

·
Registered
2020 Outback 2.5 Premium
33 Posts
Had installed a Strut Tower Brace on the 2015 Toyota RAV4 that I HAD (past tense) and could not notice any difference from doing so. Absolutely it adds to the strength of the structure but maybe under normal driving conditions there is no flexing, so the brace is not needed. The brace on the Toyota fit real close to the cowl and I assume the Subaru would too. Thought I would notice some difference but I didn't.

·
Premium Member
3,235 Posts
The new Gen is considerable stiffer and the brace is really not needed.
Lets not get into the yelling match Brace or no Brace, 2.5 vs 3.6, oil manufacture etc?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Installed a rear subframe brace on my Honda Pilot. It's something the Acura MDX had but Pilots didnt.
Made a big difference to rear end.
Anything similar or thicker sway bar for current Gen OB's?

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Premium w Eyesight
1,510 Posts

·
Registered
Outback 3.6R Limited w/Eyesight, Ice Silver, 19mm RSB, SSD STB
12 Posts
I installed a 19mm rear sway bar and it was a difference that really stood out to me so I also installed the strut tower brace by SDD. I have to say that, while it didn't hurt the handling any, the before and after is not very pronounced to me. I sure won't take it off, mind you, but not as dramatic a difference like the RSB. It was a VERY easy install, all of 4 bolts. But, worth the money? My opinion is that the before and after is probably about 10% of the rear sway bar at almost twice the cost. Not at all sorry I got it, but not the same ROI.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a couple of days now with the SSD strut brace in. I notice the difference. I have a 3.6 with 19mm rsb and drive very hard. While I really like the overall effects of the rsb it ,to my feel, it left the front end to light-a little like riding a tricycle. Still hoping to beef up the front bar a little for balance when one becomes available. I skeptically ordered the SSD brace on a whim. While the changes are not dramatic they are quite positive. The car is significantly more solid feeling in the front and more stable even on a reasonably smooth freeway,almost as if the front was heavier (course it is by the weight of the bar :) and did improve the light feeling the front had after the rsb. The steering also feels slightly heavier-I can't imagine why unless the alignment got off a little but i doubt it as 1 bolt was always on. To me there is a marked reduction in shake and quiver on broken pavement,especially when its on one side. I would do this improvement again no question. But I am completely neurotic about handling..ymmv
PS anyone have any Ideas about how to stabilize the rear end?-lots of quiver back there as well..other than right foot pressure that is..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I installed a 19mm rear sway bar and it was a difference that really stood out to me so I also installed the strut tower brace by SDD. I have to say that, while it didn't hurt the handling any, the before and after is not very pronounced to me. I sure won't take it off, mind you, but not as dramatic a difference like the RSB. It was a VERY easy install, all of 4 bolts. But, worth the money? My opinion is that the before and after is probably about 10% of the rear sway bar at almost twice the cost. Not at all sorry I got it, but not the same ROI.

This.

Pretty much every "cushy" car designed to take car seats can use a sway bar and STB. However -- erlnet -- my sediments exactly.

I got this for a couple of reasons knowing this. I know it's not good to have either end too stiff.

I'm trying to trick my wife into only liking good handling cars. I think it's working.

Also, I know motor mounts go easy, anything to limit the wear to JUST the mounts the better IMO. (Anyone know different?)

Would also help out if you miss a jack point on the Outback too ;)

~

·
Registered
'17 Outback Limited 3.6R in Venetian Red.
431 Posts
Any one else have more feedback on the front strut tower brace? I have the 19" RSB and am considering this mod to improve handling.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Premium Ruby Red Pearl 2.5 CVT AWP
398 Posts
I installed one of these in my '12 a couple of months back and it really does tighten things up. I am very pleased with the product. I also have a 19mm RSB which I installed when the car was new - so I was able to ascertain the difference between the front strut brace and the RSB.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts