Registered
2015 Crystal White 3.6R Limited w/ Eyesight
19 Posts
Reactions: squidgy

·
Premium Member
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
618 Posts
That is great news because that bar is half the price. Still expensive, but not over $600 like the second one I listed.

·
Registered
2015 Crystal White 3.6R Limited w/ Eyesight
19 Posts
STI Flexible Strut Bar (Subaru OEM Part # E4010AJ002.)

I got mine from www.subarupartsforyou.com. You'll need a calibrated torque wrench. Best that two people install the strut bar. Read the instructions carefully, don't let the strut bar bend too much in the middle.

Better handling and control especially w/ sharp turns. Down side, you feel the road a bit more. The sway bar w/ the already installed STI Flexible Strut Bar make a major difference above 65mph.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,350 Posts
That is great news because that bar is half the price. Still expensive, but not over $600 like the second one I listed.
IMHO, the design of the SSD Performance brace (which is $180) may be superior.

First off, the bar will not have the flex of some other designs. If the front end is relatively stiff, and you want to increase that stiffness, why would you want a flexible brace? How will that improve dynamics?

Secondly, it appears that the loads that would be transmitted to the opposite tower are handled better by the design of the brackets on the SSD product. I would think you'd want forces transferred normal (perpendicular) to the plane that runs vehicle front-to-back. In addition, the deflection of the strut in the vertical plane should be minimized if possible by the strut brace.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
I have a solid SPT front bar on the 04 XT and there is a ride quality penalty with that bar. I've seen people claim the flex bars are just as good without the harshness. That is why they changed over to that design.

Anyone have access to a pre 2015 Body Repair Manual, I have a 2019 one? I'd like to compare the strut tower dimensions between generations.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I'm not disagreeing with you, except the design of some of these seem like they will induce torsional forces on a strut when the opposite tower is acted upon.

What I believe I want is a bar that has no hinge and is as rigid as possible. I could be swayed though (pun intended).

I'll let you know if it's too "stiff". :10:

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Might be fun to us to buy the different bars. Then later swap them out for comparison.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
That might be a good experiment. Here's what I think, you've got a 3.6R. That additional weight upfront is going to make the comparison probably a bit different than I in the 2.5i.

Should get mine tomorrow. I think I know what to look for w.r.t. handling. I'm not going to be doing slaloms, but where I expect to feel is a difference in a sustained turn, like turning left or right at a light.

My thinking is without the bar, you've got essentially a great weight slung between two towers, and the two towers can flex up and down relative to each other. By putting a stiff bar above the engine, now it's more like a cage, and I think it's going to help limit the body's torsional twist / flexing.

We shall see.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a solid SPT front bar on the 04 XT and there is a ride quality penalty with that bar. I've seen people claim the flex bars are just as good without the harshness. That is why they changed over to that design.

Anyone have access to a pre 2015 Body Repair Manual, I have a 2019 one? I'd like to compare the strut tower dimensions between generations.

Did you find out if the STI bar will fit the 2019 outback? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts

I tried to install the SSD strut bar on my 2019 outback 3.6R limited.
It did not fit. There was about 1/2 to 1 inch gap from the holes to the mounting hex nuts. It was too short.

I initiated return with SSD performance through Amazon. I hope they issue me full refund without stocking fee and waive my shipping charges because they clearly advertised to me that this strut bar fits 2019 models.

Now I am waiting for someone to tell me if the STI strut bar will fit the 2019 outback 3.6r models.

·
Premium Member
2017 2.5i Outback Limited w/ES
79 Posts
Maybe they shipped the wrong one.
measure from a bolt on one side to other.
I will see if it matches my 2017

·
Registered
78 Posts
Maybe they shipped the wrong one.
measure from a bolt on one side to other.
I will see if it matches my 2017

Maybe that’s the case. I emailed them about this issue but I have not got an email back yet. I’ll post updates so other fellow 2019 outback owners know if this product does not fit correctly

·
Registered
78 Posts
Maybe that’s the case. I emailed them about this issue but I have not got an email back yet. I’ll post updates so other fellow 2019 outback owners know if this product does not fit correctly

Got a reply back from them that they sent me a defective part and they’re sending me a replacement. I will update how it fits in my 2019 when I get the replacement!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Got a reply back from them that they sent me a defective part and they’re sending me a replacement. I will update how it fits in my 2019 when I get the replacement!
This is essentially what I posted in the 19mm sway bar thread to your inquiry there, where I documented my experience with the combination of the mods.

Same happened to me for those reading along, and they were very apologetic. Indicated they received a number from welding that were too short... Sent me a new one right away.

You will like this bar!

·
Registered
78 Posts
This is essentially what I posted in the 19mm sway bar thread to your inquiry there, where I documented my experience with the combination of the mods.

Same happened to me for those reading along, and they were very apologetic. Indicated they received a number from welding that were too short... Sent me a new one right away.

You will like this bar!
I got a new one and installation was very easy. The difference was there in terms of how rigid the front end feels.

The customer service from SSD was good even though I complained the first part did not fit.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
The hardest part of all of it was affixing the SSD logo. :cool:

·
Registered
2019 Outback
754 Posts
I’m waiting on a cheap eBay one to come out so I waste less money on an engine compartment dress piece. :cool:

·
Registered
2015 2.5 premium Acura MDX BMw 325i
38 Posts
IMHO, the design of the SSD Performance brace (which is $180) may be superior.

First off, the bar will not have the flex of some other designs. If the front end is relatively stiff, and you want to increase that stiffness, why would you want a flexible brace? How will that improve dynamics?

Secondly, it appears that the loads that would be transmitted to the opposite tower are handled better by the design of the brackets on the SSD product. I would think you'd want forces transferred normal (perpendicular) to the plane that runs vehicle front-to-back. In addition, the deflection of the strut in the vertical plane should be minimized if possible by the strut brace.
I have a SSD strut tower brace and rear 19 mm swaybar on my wife’s Outback and like the feel. My only complaint is that the steel tower brace is very heavy. The strut tower brace on my BMW is made out of aluminum and is way lighter and just as stiff.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
It's only 7lbs IIRC. I wouldn't call it heavy. You say way lighter and just as stiff. I personally see the former, but not the latter. Anyways, the design and implementation of the SSD seems very good. No flex, no bends, and no hinges.

·
Registered
2015 2.5 premium Acura MDX BMw 325i
38 Posts
It's only 7lbs IIRC. I wouldn't call it heavy. You say way lighter and just as stiff. I personally see the former, but not the latter. Anyways, the design and implementation of the SSD seems very good. No flex, no bends, and no hinges.
My SSD bar weighs about 15 pounds , my BMW bars is half the weight and is just as strong the bar is a lot thicker.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts