Subaru Outback Forums banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited
423 Posts
My SSD bar weighs about 15 pounds , my BMW bars is half the weight and is just as strong the bar is a lot thicker.
I'm gonna weigh the SSD strut brace next time I pull it off my 2017 OB. I'd be surprised if it's anywhere near 15 lbs.

·
Registered
'19 Outback Touring 3.6R
247 Posts
STI Flexible Strut Brace & 19mm rear sway bar installed

STI Flexible Strut Bar (Subaru OEM Part # E4010AJ002.)

STI 19mm Rear Sway Bar (Subaru part # 20451FG020)
2 Stabilizer Bar Bushings (Subaru part #20464FG020
Has anyone confirmed that the STI Flexible Strut Bar (Subaru OEM Part # E4010AJ002) fits on a 18-19 Outback?

I already installed the STI 20mm Rear Sway Bar!

Thanks,

·
Registered
2019 Outback Touring 3.6R
16 Posts
Hi All, (sorry so lengthy)
I have a '19 Touring 3.6 and am awaiting delivery of both the 19mm RSB and SSD FSB.

First off my credentials (LOL)....I have extensive experience in both areas with these types of parts from my pervious life as a VW owner...I have tuned several water-cooled VW's over the years w/ full Neuspeed suspensions ('84 Scirocco, 89 Golf GTI, and 90 Jetta GLI). My goals w/ those cars were very different (I was also much younger then - LOL). The set ups included shocks/springs, front/rear sway bars, upper strut tie bars, and in my Scirocco...a rear strut tie bar as well. To best describe those cars and their handling was fun, responsive, slot car like, but also harsh. Also understand that Neupseed offered various sized bars...for example they offered 2 different sized rear sway bars depending on ones handling desires. I messed around with many different sizes on my cars and got to experience the differences.
That all being said....Disclaimer...I am not a suspicion engineer, nor a race car builder...just a typical human who has spent countless hours working on, driving and spending $$ on my cars when I was much younger.

Now may moons (and cars/trucks) later, I have an OB (and my first Subaru). I am older now, and am looking for something totally different from my car. I loove the comfort and ease of drivability with the OB....but that being said, there is still some room to tighten things up w/out adding to the harshness of the OB ride. Lets face it...the OB is no Audi or BMW wagon...but wanting it to handle more like one is not out of the question. So I decided to do some extensive research...all while not sacrificing the ride quality that I love along with not breaking the bank. What I came across was many discussions like this thread...where it seems we we all relatively have the same goal...tighen up the suspension a bit so it is a bit more responsive. What I am finding is that many do not understand the effects of each of the parts individually (this is a general statement and I could be wrong - so my apologies in advance).

I think we all understand that the RSB is intended to reduce body lean of the car while cornering....the size offerings of the sway bar for the OB (19mm or 20mm) is not to make the car feel like it is riding on rails or like a slot car. It will simply reduce some of the body role while cornering. I have read that a lot of members state that it helps with cross winds and such...I don't have much experience with this where I live but overall the RSB will make the car feel more controlled when cornering...either gradual or sudden.

The Front Strut Bar/Brace (FSB) is meant to connect the left and right side upper strut mounts in your engine compartment to increase chassis rigidity. The result is improved steering response, especially on cars with high-performance wheel & tire packages (which the majority of us OB owners do not have). So that all being said...the FSB will improve steering response and tighten up the front end yaw (to a degree) or in layman's terms...the flex that cars have to some degree between the 2 front shock towers. This is a natural weak spot in terms of getting the most from your suspension. Think of it in terms of a convertible vs. the same car as a hard top....the convertible has so much flex in the over all body due to it not have the rigidity of the roof line and B, C and/or D pillars.

Something to keep in mind is that all of these improvements will be felt on a limited basis because they are "parts" the suspension....one would only see the full benefits of each part if a full suspension was upgraded or every part was tuned together (shocks, struts, springs, sway bars, strut bars, wheels, tires etc.)....meant to compliment each other and work in harmony.

All of this being said (hopefully it makes sense)....for the OB...for us as typical consumers who just want the benefits of a better handling car....the addition of the upgraded RSW will suffice. The debate of the 19mm vs. 20mm is negligible and will not really be felt or benefit any of us average folk. Those who say they can feel a significant difference between the 19mm & 20mm have been under their car too long. The addition of the FSB, will be the icing on the cupcake (an Audi/BMW would be cake - LOL) so to speak. An improvement will be felt but not to the degree of the RSB.

Personally I would not recommend adding the FSB only on the OB....the cost to benefit ratio would be too slim. One would get a much bigger benefit from the RSB if added singularly.

I am eagerly awaiting my parts so I can do a full write up on them. I plan to install them separately in order to do a comparison of the improvements w/ each addition.

Thanks for reading (aka listening).

·
Registered
16 Posts
So here is update #1 - The strut tower brace only install and performance.

Installed the bar....took all of 10 minutes. All I needed was a 12mm (I think) socket and the parts that came with the bar...just 4 washers.
Simply undo the necessary 4 bolts, put the bar on those bolts, put on the washers, and reinstall the nuts.

Now the performance...so remember the intent of the bar is meant to connect the left and right side upper strut mounts in your engine compartment to increase chassis rigidity...less body twist. You generally feel this in sharp sudden turns...but can also be felt in more gradual turns as well. The result is improved steering response. The FSB improves steering response and tightens up the front end yaw (to a degree) or in layman's terms...the flex the car has to some degree between the 2 front shock towers. Again...This is a natural weak spot in terms of getting the most from your suspension. You do not feel the bar on average driving down the normal straight road...so no ride comfort compromise.

With only the Front Strut Bar installed, along with the stock rear sway bar (not upgraded yet)....the value for the improvement is negligible. Especially because the bar is almost double the cost of rear sway bar.

Now...with that being said...I eagerly await some free time to install the 19mm rear sway bar, which I feel, in conjunction with the strut bar...will definitely complement each other.

More to come after the installation of the rear sway bar..... Stay tuned....

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
908 Posts
I read about your not installing one and noticed a difference and I wasn’t even driving.

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
583 Posts
i have the 20mm RSB and installed the SSD strut brace around christmas time. i drive mostly twisty backroads to work daily so i was looking to firm up the ride- did alittle, its not mind blowing how effective it was. money well spent- i dont know lol. looking to upgrade my springs now, debating going lower or higher shrug

·
Registered
423 Posts
Anyone considering these mods should also look at the Perrin steering dampener lockdown.

I have the 19mm RSB, the SSD strut tower brace, and the Perrin steering lockdown on my OB. Among those mods, the steering dampener lockdown made the most noticeable difference in my daily driving, and the strut tower brace made the least noticeable difference.

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
908 Posts
Anyone considering these mods should also look at the Perrin steering dampener lockdown.

I have the 19mm RSB, the SSD strut tower brace, and the Perrin steering lockdown on my OB. Among those mods, the steering dampener lockdown made the most noticeable difference in my daily driving, and the strut tower brace made the least noticeable difference.
How are they working out for you offroad?

·
Registered
2019 Limited 2.5
235 Posts
I'm thinking that there might be more stress on steering components if there is no damper to dampen the various forces at play, although that might be alleviated by the dampening effect of a less than vice like grip on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
583 Posts

Id consider this but i feel like thats added stress on the steering components, causing premature wear.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Id consider this but i feel like thats added stress on the steering components, causing premature wear.
Perhaps the linkage in the steering u-joint might wear a bit faster. But there's so little wear in that area to begin with that I doubt it would make a difference over the useful life of the car. (It's not like the steering column is spinning at high speed like a drive shaft.) I guess time will tell.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5L, Auto; 2018 Forester, 2.5L, Auto (for Mama); 2005 Baja, 2.5 Turbo, Manual
644 Posts
I added the steering damper lockdown to my '17. Can't see how it would increase wear, all the U-joints action is the same. The lockdown just blocks the rubber damper.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Interesting.....

61 - 80 of 84 Posts