Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All
I'm new and my first post. I have searched for help on this Forums but I'm not finding specific situation like mine.

All 4 windows on my Outback are locked in the up position. They were working fine one day and next day they won't move. None of the buttons at each door work either and we don't hear motor or other noise when we push the buttons. We've verified the child lock button is off, toggled it on/off several times with no change. We tried the automatic window "reset sequence" even though the driver window doesn't move. We replaced the fuse in the engine compartment that the manual indicated for windows, even thought it didn't appear blown out. I have tried to pull the driver window down but it is firmly closed. The car is overdue for scheduled maintenance but otherwise is fine; electrical like the dome lights and door lights work, the check engine light is not on. We took it to scheduled maintenance in Feb17 and the battery died in July (1 month after warranty expired) which I replaced it myself but that was over two months before this problem started.

We had a issue with Corolla wipers not working a few years ago and the dealer replaced motor, then switch, then wiring harnesses, etc. and tried to charge me for each part and labor (one of the reasons we drive a Subaru now) but I argued they should have been able to determine the problem in advance and not by trial/error. So I don't want to get into a similar position with this problem.

Based on my description can anyone tell if this is an electrical or mechanical problem or tell me what can I tell the dealer service to focus on? I'm not confident enough to physically take the door apart, but I could definitely try other troubleshooting steps to help narrow this down if someone can suggest.

Thank you for any help

·
Registered
'16 Outback 2.5i Premium WAM, Factory Hitch, Infinity speakers, Alpine Sub, Cargo Tray/Seat Protectors, Husky Liners, Rally Armor Mudflaps, LED Int Ltg, Subaru LOGO LED Projection Puddle Lights, OUTB
407 Posts
Hello All
I'm new and my first post. I have searched for help on this Forums but I'm not finding specific situation like mine.

All 4 windows on my Outback are locked in the up position. They were working fine one day and next day they won't move. None of the buttons at each door work either and we don't hear motor or other noise when we push the buttons. We've verified the child lock button is off, toggled it on/off several times with no change. We tried the automatic window "reset sequence" even though the driver window doesn't move. We replaced the fuse in the engine compartment that the manual indicated for windows, even thought it didn't appear blown out. I have tried to pull the driver window down but it is firmly closed. The car is overdue for scheduled maintenance but otherwise is fine; electrical like the dome lights and door lights work, the check engine light is not on. We took it to scheduled maintenance in Feb17 and the battery died in July (1 month after warranty expired) which I replaced it myself but that was over two months before this problem started.

We had a issue with Corolla wipers not working a few years ago and the dealer replaced motor, then switch, then wiring harnesses, etc. and tried to charge me for each part and labor (one of the reasons we drive a Subaru now) but I argued they should have been able to determine the problem in advance and not by trial/error. So I don't want to get into a similar position with this problem.

Based on my description can anyone tell if this is an electrical or mechanical problem or tell me what can I tell the dealer service to focus on? I'm not confident enough to physically take the door apart, but I could definitely try other troubleshooting steps to help narrow this down if someone can suggest.

Thank you for any help
I do not claim to know the answer.
I only claim to be totally dumb on it. If you have a wiring diagram, you can use that to diagnose it some yourself with a multimeter. If you have an OBDII reader, you may find some information about any can-bus warnings or issues that may cause this to happen.

My best guess is a connector came lose.

You can try disconnecting the battery and cause your driver door window to *need* a reset. If you can get the driver door window reset to work, it may cause the remaining door windows to also follow the leader....

Do you have an extended warranty? If so, take it in and let them swap as many parts as they need to get it working again.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Outback, 2002 Audi S4 Avant, 1980 CB750F Supersport, 1985 Carrera 3.2
568 Posts
Look in your manual for the window reset procedure (page 140 I believe).

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,146 Posts
I suspect a blown fuse. Here are the relevant pages from the factory service manual. There is a fuse box under the hood on the driver's side (with spare fuses in the lid) and another in the driver's side under dash. Both covers have legends on them describing the fuses. I think it would be the inside box, several slots are labeled P/W. Hopefully, it's a one-off blow and not a short in the system.
Hope this helps. You can do it!

Attachments

Reactions: ammcinnis

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,154 Posts
I suspect a blown fuse. Here are the relevant pages from the factory service manual.
Yep. Fuse SBF-3 in the engine compartment, or Fuses FB-11 or FB-24 or Relay 6 (the Power Window Relay) located in the passenger compartment.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,512 Posts
Hello All

Thank you for any help
A few questions:

None of the windows work, front and back, from either the driver's main window switch, or from each door's switch, correct?

Do you have Auto up/down on both driver and front passenger window, or driver window only? If both, section 2 in provel's circuit diagram is relevant, if driver only, section 1 is.

Do the switches light up when the parking lights are on?

Since all four are inop, it's almost certainly an electrical problem and not mechanical.

Which fuse did you check? Main Box slow-blow fuse #3 (MB - under the hood) is the most likely culprit. Another possibility is cabin Fuse Box fuse #3 (FB - near driver's left knee), but that fuse protects some other circuits, including the immobilizer and hill-holder switch, so you'd probably notice.

There are several other fuses associated with the power windows in the cabin Fuse Box, but according to the diagram, they would not affect the operation of all the windows from all doors.

The rear-seat windows are independent of the Power Window Controller (PWC) when using their own door switch, so it probably isn't that. Further, the rear window motors can be powered directly through FB fuse #6 (driver's side) or #16 (passenger side) and the power window relay, or through FB fuse #24 (maybe FB fuse#11) and the PWC if operated by the driver.

N.B. The schematic in the FSM appears to have an error: As drawn, the power window relay has no function.
Actually, not true. It provides power for the rear windows when operated from their own seat through FB 20A fuses #6 and 16, and *may* provide power for window operation by the driver's switch cluster through the PWC through FB 30A fuse #11 - can't tell for sure because the PWC is a black box.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,154 Posts
Actually, not true. [The power window relay] provides power for the rear windows when operated from their own seat through FB 20A fuses #6 and 16, and *may* provide power for window operation by the driver's switch cluster through the PWC through FB 30A fuse #11 - can't tell for sure because the PWC is a black box.
You are correct. (Adobe Acrobat Reader failed to display the white wire from terminal 4 of the relay when I selected my normal page-width zoom level.) Thanks for the correction. I have edited my original post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks ALL! I was out of town for the weekend (not in the Subaru...) so just finding all your suggestions. So I'll go back and better check that fuse and search for the one in the cabin.

FYI I did only replace 1 fuse in the engine compartment. Only the driver door is automatic and I had never noticed if the any of the switches light or not so I'm not as good a detail man as I thought.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts