Subaru Outback Forums banner

181 - 198 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
2016 OB 3.6R WGM
151 Posts
I hope I don't get any guff from not fabbing mine in any way shape or form. None the less, here is my setup LP15, Skyline towers and the 70" Jet Stream Bars.

I've seen people mention how flimsy the fit of the Landing Pad 15 "feels". They are absolutely right, with just the landing pads on alone they feel like they can be easily ripped out. Once you get the towers and bars mounted up there all doubt will dissipate. I was shaking the heck out of that car without any distressing flex.

I went with the 70" bars because I wanted to bring both my Kayak and the Packasport (90) to the mountains this summer. The extra height allows me to use the system 90 without having the tailgate touch the box.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, silver
433 Posts
I hope I don't get any guff from not fabbing mine in any way shape or form. None the less, here is my setup LP15, Skyline towers and the 70" Jet Stream Bars.

I've seen people mention how flimsy the fit of the Landing Pad 15 "feels". They are absolutely right, with just the landing pads on alone they feel like they can be easily ripped out. Once you get the towers and bars mounted up there all doubt will dissipate. I was shaking the heck out of that car without any distressing flex.

I went with the 70" bars because I wanted to bring both my Kayak and the Packasport (90) to the mountains this summer. The extra height allows me to use the system 90 without having the tailgate touch the box.

Agree that it's a rock solid system and what I like best and never considered when I purchased the Yak system you have, was that the rack and bike trays go on and off in about a minute or two. I've never had that in the Thule systems I've used for 30 years, it was always an hour.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The 2015 Outback isnt officially supported by Yakima yet, and the Landing Pad 12 & 13 doesnt fit. But I was able to squeeze a set of Rail Grab mounts with Crossbars onto the stock rack. I rotated the tie-downs 180 degrees and used a small RailGrab claw up front, medium claw in the rear.

I now have a 38" bar spread with 66" wide Crossbars for a SkyBox 16, ARB awning, and a bike.

Where did you get the all parts to do this? Im a newbie and completely clueless about this stuff... I need to do the same thing to my outback only we need to fit a luggage box and a snowboard carrier or a kayak carrier.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited Magnetite Gray
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Where did you get the all parts to do this? Im a newbie and completely clueless about this stuff... I need to do the same thing to my outback only we need to fit a luggage box and a snowboard carrier or a kayak carrier.
The parts are available from Yakima.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here's a link to the post covering the solid aluminum version of my DIY rack mounts I just finished up.
Work really well and built right off of the factory tie down points rather than the sketchy rubber holes like Yakima decided to do.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/5665375-post34.html

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited, 2018 Lexus LX570, 1998 Toyota LC 100, 1987 Toyota FJ60
754 Posts
Here's a link to the post covering the solid aluminum version of my DIY rack mounts I just finished up.
Work really well and built right off of the factory tie down points rather than the sketchy rubber holes like Yakima decided to do.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/5665375-post34.html
Don't be scared off from the 'sketchy rubber holes'. I regularly carry 150lbs + on the roof using the standard Landing Pads and, after almost 100k miles carrying this kind of weight, never had an issue. They seem a little flimsy but actually work well.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Don't be scared off from the 'sketchy rubber holes'. I regularly carry 150lbs + on the roof using the standard Landing Pads and, after almost 100k miles carrying this kind of weight, never had an issue. They seem a little flimsy but actually work well.
I hear ya, and that's fair enough.

I just know me, and I tend to overload from time to time....for instance, I've had in excess of 800 pounds of lumber up there with no issues and I wouldn't try that with the factory stuff and not sure I'd feel good about it with the LP's either.

YMMV :smile2:

·
Registered
754 Posts
for instance, I've had in excess of 800 pounds of lumber up there with no issues and I wouldn't try that with the factory stuff and not sure I'd feel good about it with the LP's either.

YMMV :smile2:
Yikes. That would pretty much bottom out my stock suspension.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread!! I used this system and filed the claws to fit a bit better. Comes on and comes off easily.

This allowed me to get a new Outback. I was going to keep my '08 longer and look for another one when it dies. It is still MUCH taller than the old body style, but your idea made it much more usable. Thank you !!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good to see this thread. I'm thinking about getting the large (70") Skyline JetStream rack from Yakima so that I put a Yakima SkyRise 3 roof-top tent AND Yakima JayLow kayak on top of my 2015 Subaru Outback. I currently have the small (50") Skyline JetStream roof bar which is good for the roof-top tent OR kayak but not both. Anyone else have a similar configuration or suggestion?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Good to see this thread. I'm thinking about getting the large (70") Skyline JetStream rack from Yakima so that I put a Yakima SkyRise 3 roof-top tent AND Yakima JayLow kayak on top of my 2015 Subaru Outback. I currently have the small (50") Skyline JetStream roof bar which is good for the roof-top tent OR kayak but not both. Anyone else have a similar configuration or suggestion?
I don't use it for a tent but I do use it to haul 2 expedition sized canoes side by side. Works great.

·
Registered
2015 2.51 Limited, 2013 Abrth 500 - Nero, 2002 WRX Wagon - WR Blue, 2011 Forester
173 Posts
Ok breathing life back into this very long thread with a weird question for the crowd. Have the 2015 with Landing pad #15 and 66" bars. Love it, have the Yakima wind fairing on and it doesnt reach the roof so it lacks support, making for some noises as it moves in teh wind. Anyone found a good work around? I am considering bracing teh back with some brass rods to force a set curve and reduce teh flex in the plastics but figured I would ask other roof loaders first

·
Registered
754 Posts
Ok breathing life back into this very long thread with a weird question for the crowd. Have the 2015 with Landing pad #15 and 66" bars. Love it, have the Yakima wind fairing on and it doesnt reach the roof so it lacks support, making for some noises as it moves in teh wind. Anyone found a good work around? I am considering bracing teh back with some brass rods to force a set curve and reduce teh flex in the plastics but figured I would ask other roof loaders first
Honestly, I wouldn't bother with the fairing. I have used them on many vehicles and they work great when the bars are close to the roof and the fairing is at a shallow angle to the roof. The bars on the Outback are so high off the roof the fairing turns into an air dam and makes a racket. In that case, the rack alone will be quieter.

·
Registered
2015 2.51 Limited, 2013 Abrth 500 - Nero, 2002 WRX Wagon - WR Blue, 2011 Forester
173 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't bother with the fairing. I have used them on many vehicles and they work great when the bars are close to the roof and the fairing is at a shallow angle to the roof. The bars on the Outback are so high off the roof the fairing turns into an air dam and makes a racket. In that case, the rack alone will be quieter.
I thought the same, but with the bars alone the slight noise did bother me. Even with the steep angle I have found the fairing quieter, just wanting to sturdy it up some. Plus it adds sticker space.

·
Registered
13 Posts
@Lightingguy thaks for the great info!
I have a few questions about the risers you made to attach the thule square tube as I have the same bars and want to do the same thing.

1- are the spces for the risers as follows
front 4- 2x2
Rear 2- 2x2 and 2- 3x3?
With a bevel

2- did you put anything in the cross tube where you drilled through and bolted it to bracket to keep Tibet from compressing when you tighten?

3- how did you attach the rear risers to rear holes?

181 - 198 of 198 Posts