Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
New to this tread here. I know the post says a Legacy but this forum is for outbacks, they're practically the same cars.
anyways did anyone figure out how to disable the seatbelt chime with the push button yet? i have tried the 20 time in and out within 30 seconds, however, had no luck.

·
Registered
2021 White Outback Touring
1,074 Posts
Hello all,
New to this tread here. I know the post says a Legacy but this forum is for outbacks, they're practically the same cars.
anyways did anyone figure out how to disable the seatbelt chime with the push button yet? i have tried the 20 time in and out within 30 seconds, however, had no luck.

Don't buckle -- maybe the next -- you won't need to ---?? are seat belts needed in the hereafter??

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,731 Posts
The 20 times in 30 seconds procedure does work. It's hard to do, but does work if accomplished correctly.

And, yes, there are occasions when not wearing a seat belt is convenient without being an unreasonable risk. They're not common, but do exist.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited Edition, Navigation, Eyesight, Keyless, Remote Engine Start, Pop Pack#4
53 Posts
Its easy as 1, 2, 3 below;

1. Get a Buckle Piece (not the whole seatbelt, see picture) from a dumped car or buy it.
2. Buckle it to your Legacy and leave it there
3. Then get ready for a Ticket or Life threat!

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 OB 3.6R - Carbide Gray
1,297 Posts
I was waiting for the comments about buckling your seatbelt.

Glad to know this works, I may have to try it.

To the others here that say "just wear your seatbelt", I work at a place that has 3 major buildings, all about a 1/4 - 1/2 mile apart in a business park. It's annoying driving between one building and another at a maximum of 15-20 mph listening to that godforsaken dinging. Just because you don't experience this, doesn't mean their aren't circumstances where a seatbelt isn't necessary and just a time waste/inconvenience. Also, just because you don't wear your seatbelt, it doesn't mean you will automatically die in a crash. I swear, I don't understand how some people can't just answer the question or be quiet.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
5,107 Posts
This worked for me, but unlike my old Impreza, it only seemed to work if I let the buckle lock each time. With the Impreza, you could just hold the release down, which made it easier. You gotta be pretty quick with this car...

• Without pressing the brake pedal, hit the start button twice for ACC mode
  • Buckle then unbuckle your seatbelt for a total of 20 times in a 30 second period
  • Hit the start button without your foot on the brake pedal to turn the car off
  • Press the brake pedal and start the car

·
Registered
2021XT Tour 2018-2020 Wranglers
193 Posts
This worked for me, but unlike my old Impreza, it only seemed to work if I let the buckle lock each time. With the Impreza, you could just hold the release down, which made it easier. You gotta be pretty quick with this car...

• Without pressing the brake pedal, hit the start button twice for ACC mode
  • Buckle then unbuckle your seatbelt for a total of 20 times in a 30 second period
  • Hit the start button without your foot on the brake pedal to turn the car off
  • Press the brake pedal and start the car

First thing I did when I got my Outbacks was disable the annoying chime using the buckle unbuckle method. >:)

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
5,107 Posts
I generally wear my belt out of habit since you're just asking to get pulled over around here without it, but it's nice for quick drives across the neighborhood and whatnot. The chime is very annoying.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited Edition, Navigation, Eyesight, Keyless, Remote Engine Start, Pop Pack#4
53 Posts
Sounds cool. Thanks.

Now,
- once disabled like this, I am assuming that the Safety features of the car, e.g., Auto Cruising Control; will not work when driving, right?
- is there are way to re-enable it again?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2016 OB 3.6R - Carbide Gray
1,297 Posts
Sounds cool. Thanks.

Now,
- once disabled like this, I am assuming that the Safety features of the car, e.g., Auto Cruising Control; will not work when driving, right?

Thanks.
If it is like my 05 Legacy, if you just disconnect the battery it will re-enable it.

·
Registered
Venetian Red 2015 Outback w/black interior, 2.5 Limited push button start with Eyesight & Nav.
87 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to just buckle the seat belt before you get in the car, then just sit on it?

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
5,107 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to just buckle the seat belt before you get in the car, then just sit on it?
IMO, it's not a difficult process, so, no.

...once disabled like this, I am assuming that the Safety features of the car, e.g., Auto Cruising Control; will not work when driving, right?
No, there is no other effect on the vehicle besides disabling the seat belt chime. As was already mentioned, it will reset if the procedure is repeated or the battery is disconnected.

Obviously, if you need to be reminded to buckle your seatbelt, this mod is not for you.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
I managed to do this on my 2016 3.6R. This has stopped the continuous chirps, however, I'd like to have it stop doing the initial 5 chimes at startup. I normally get in the car, hit the button, then put my seatbelt on. The chime that immediately starts while I'm actually pulling on my seatbelt to put it on is quite annoying.

I'd be fine with it chirping at me if I start MOVING without my seatbelt or something, but I'd like to get rid of the initial startup warning about it. Or just have it delayed for 5 seconds or so, by which time I'd actually have my seatbelt fastened.

Anyone manage to get that part to stop?

(and I agree with some of the others here, I don't need a chime to help me remember to wear my seatbelt)

·
Premium Member
Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
5,062 Posts
I was waiting for the comments about buckling your seatbelt.

Glad to know this works, I may have to try it.

To the others here that say "just wear your seatbelt", I work at a place that has 3 major buildings, all about a 1/4 - 1/2 mile apart in a business park. It's annoying driving between one building and another at a maximum of 15-20 mph listening to that godforsaken dinging. Just because you don't experience this, doesn't mean their aren't circumstances where a seatbelt isn't necessary and just a time waste/inconvenience. Also, just because you don't wear your seatbelt, it doesn't mean you will automatically die in a crash. I swear, I don't understand how some people can't just answer the question or be quiet.
The 2015 doesn't ding, it chimes. And I think it's a pleasant sound, not irritating at all...

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6 Limited Eyesight White
543 Posts
These Seat Belt Extenders will stop the seat belt chime...

No I don't need to be reminded to put on my seat belt. It's been ingrained into my head since the 60's.

·
Premium Member
Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
5,062 Posts
I managed to do this on my 2016 3.6R. This has stopped the continuous chirps, however, I'd like to have it stop doing the initial 5 chimes at startup. I normally get in the car, hit the button, then put my seatbelt on. The chime that immediately starts while I'm actually pulling on my seatbelt to put it on is quite annoying.

I'd be fine with it chirping at me if I start MOVING without my seatbelt or something, but I'd like to get rid of the initial startup warning about it. Or just have it delayed for 5 seconds or so, by which time I'd actually have my seatbelt fastened.

Anyone manage to get that part to stop?

(and I agree with some of the others here, I don't need a chime to help me remember to wear my seatbelt)
Don't like the chime? Go buy a Jeep...
Any more responses should be posted here:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/61-general-discussions/254922-nit-pickers-post-here.html

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
LOL I use to not wear the seat belt for short stuff around work till we had an accident and the no seatbelt factor ended up resulting in no coverage for the injured party totally got screwed! Don't give the insurers an out just wear it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.