Subaru Outback Forums banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
The bells on this car are worse than driving with my mother. Total deal breaker. I counted them from the time I started my car to backing out of the garage this morning. 14 chimes - OVER THE TOP ANNOYING!!!! And to have to go through this nonsense of 20 clicks, during a full moon while standing on your head just to shut them off - ludicrous!! Subaru, why don't you just add a feature to the customization panel to allow us to disable the bells with a touch of the screen? I wear my belt EVERY TIME I drive. I just don't like being screamed at while starting my car, backing out of my garage and yanking on the belt while driving down the drive way. What an utterly annoying way to start your day. I've driven a Toyota 4-runner for 20 years and never felt like this about the bells. Can you at least decrease the frequency from like 100 times per second to maybe once every 15 seconds, or maybe give us a pleasant siri-like voice reminding us to fasten the seatbelts if not fastened within say 45 seconds of driving? I guarantee you that I'm not going to go flying through my windshield if I need to break while exiting my garage. We get the picture. We're not morons. It took me a year to get to this boiling point from living with this Chinese water [bell] torture before I googled to see if anyone else was losing their mind over the bells. I even found an official car review that complained about the same thing - too noisy because of the bells. I read in another post (paraphrase) "Don't the designers of these cars test drive them?" I have to agree. I hope their karma in **** will be strapped to a chair listening to bells for eternity. That's how fed up I am with: bells when I open the door, bells when I close the door, bells when I unlock the door, then a string of more annoying bells in a stupid cutesy pattern when I unlock my back doors. UGGGGGGhhhhhh. I can go on and on. I tried this disabling trick 3-4 times already to no avail. I will keep trying if it kills me (or until I blow my brains out because of the bells.) No more subarus for me until they get rid of the bell issue.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,806 Posts
Can you re-enable the seat belt chime after disabling it? Seriously.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,941 Posts
I wear my belt EVERY TIME I drive. I just don't like being screamed at while starting my car, backing out of my garage and yanking on the belt while driving down the drive way. What an utterly annoying way to start your day.
Do I hear, "You're not the boss of me!" somewhere in there? Regardless, there's a simple and 100% effective workaround:

1. Start engine.
  2. Fasten seat belt while the head unit boots up (~8 seconds).
  3. Shift into Reverse.
  4. Begin backing (in blissful silence).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Omg finally got it to work. Thank you to whoever posted the solution (and God only knows how you came up with it). I read in another post that the door has to be opened. The time it finally worked, I had the door shut and only clicked after the seatbelt light came on (light/click, light/click....). 1 bell down 30 more to go. Now I'm on a quest to get rid of the rest of the annoying bells. This is coming from someone who had the bell disabled on her clothes dryer years before she finally got rid of the dryer completely. The world is abrasive enough...no need to add to it. Thanks again for the awesome solution (not the snarky comments).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was waiting for the comments about buckling your seatbelt.

Glad to know this works, I may have to try it.

To the others here that say "just wear your seatbelt", I work at a place that has 3 major buildings, all about a 1/4 - 1/2 mile apart in a business park. It's annoying driving between one building and another at a maximum of 15-20 mph listening to that godforsaken dinging. Just because you don't experience this, doesn't mean their aren't circumstances where a seatbelt isn't necessary and just a time waste/inconvenience. Also, just because you don't wear your seatbelt, it doesn't mean you will automatically die in a crash. I swear, I don't understand how some people can't just answer the question or be quiet.
Well said. Happens to me fairly often as well.
A little background to the almighty soapbox posters, we live on a cul-de-sac and use the car often for short rides around (I'm a disabled combat vet) same goes for when I need to pick up my wife a quarter mile away on essentially service roads. Beyond that even in a state where I am allowed by law to not wear 1 (NH live free or die) I always wear it when traveling on surface roads or other trips. Point is as other posters have pointed out there ARE instances- recurring instances where having that ding incessantly is annoying and unnecessary.
Now my suburban has it right. Ding at start up, once about 3 minutes into driving and if you forget to wear it does it again at 5 minute intervals. THAT is more appropriate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As an update the seatbelt trick 20 times in 30 seconds with key on engine off DOES work for newer model Subaru vehicles. The vids posted list up to around 2011. Mine is a 2015 legacy 2.5i limited and it works for these newer ones

41 - 48 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.