Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2015 OB, 89k miles on it. At about 50k, my passenger rear wheel bearing went out, replaced under warranty.

Now, with 89k,my front drivers side wheel bearing went out. No warranty. $390.

My father who also purchased his 15 OB at same time as me, had to have one of his replaced.

Dont do any off-roading. Mainly highway miles as I travel for work.

Talked to tech who said Subaru tried to squeak out more MPG and better EPA ratings and went with different bearing.

I dont feel I should be paying for this, and think there should be a recall. I've owned many cars, took them over 100k, never had to replace a wheel bearing.

Emailing SOA to try to get reimbursed.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Subarus are know for bad bearings, I don't think it's a bearing manufacturer issue as have tried multiple hubs--rather a result of clearance/angle of axles. 50-70k is pretty normal time frame for subaru hubs to go bad. It seems to span multiple outback gens.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Subarus are know for bad bearings, I don't think it's a bearing manufacturer issue as have tried multiple hubs--rather a result of clearance/angle of axles. 50-70k is pretty normal time frame for subaru hubs to go bad. It seems to span multiple outback gens.
Wow. And Subaru does nothing about it? This is my first Subaru and may end up being my last. Or maybe I'll work the $1600 bill into my purchase price.

·
Registered
139 Posts
axle boots, hubs, head gaskets, timing belts are known problem areas for many older subaru builds. At least your gen is so far reporting low to very low HG failures and has a timing chain.

Wow. And Subaru does nothing about it? This is my first Subaru and may end up being my last. Or maybe I'll work the $1600 bill into my purchase price.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Or you could just have purchased an extended warranty...you apparently opted not to, rolled the dice and lost.

You are going to be really unhappy if the CVT fails outside of the warranty...>:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well total cost of repair and alignment (had a $70 coupon),was 496. Subaru offered to reimburse me $303 which is the amount of the repair minus alignment minus deductible of my added security plan even though it ended at 70k.

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
I've owned many cars, took them over 100k, never had to replace a wheel bearing.
Sorry to hear that - unfortunately reports like this are more common now - across the board, not just Subarus. I would hesitate a little bit to throw out any manufacturer with wheel bearing issues - like my parents Honda Pilot - before which they never replaced bearings in decades of Dodges - or the guy with 3 Toyota Tundras that's replaced 9 bearings in less than 10 years. I still call them good cars even though I'm with you - wheel bearings seem like they sholud be a little more consistent than that. I'm not sure why bearings seem to be more common - ever increasing size, power, emissions/gas mileage, abilities, safety (integrated ABS/VDC/ETC), and constantly changing platforms are probably part of it.

I don't know the reason - but I suspect there are some specific reasons failure rates are what they are.

What were your past vehicles?
If your past vehicles were 2WD they do have significantly simpler design and loads than 4WD bearings which have the axle passing through them. Although who cares - a 2015 you'd expect not to have bearing issues no matter what options or what you're doing with it!

Significant changes are happening quickly - VDC, tech, NAV, auto driving, cameras, eyesight - many of which are integrating mechanical components to a higher degree than ever before - engine, trans, cruise, braking, ABS which directly effects bearings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Me too! Defective car vs. defective driver?

My passenger rear wheel bearing went on my 2015 Outback at 42K. I never truly off-road, but drive 79 MPH a fair amount and living in New England, hit more potholes in the road than I'd like. Could this have contributed to my car's demise?

·
Registered
602 Posts
I replaced my Left Front bearing at about 130K. Its a reasonable DIY job with the right tools. I worked on removing the bearing for 2 hours and almost gave up, called a local shop, and he wanted $300 for the job, so i went back to work and got the old one off . Installing the new one is a snap.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Bearing problems started at about 10k-15k miles on my '15 if I remember correctly.
First was front left. Then over the next 30k all 3 other bearings went bad one by one. Dealer replaced them.

We've been good for about 10k miles now, but I think one in the rear is starting to make noise again. It's pathetic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
52k mi on mywife's daily 2015 Outback v6, was hearing the roaring noise from the rear for the last 20-30k miles, thought it's the tires.
After new tires, noise still persist, and brought it in to the dealer today. Luckily still cover under the powertrain warranty.

On a separate issue, was hearing noise from the front engine, and was diagnosis as a broken exhaust mount, in which the dealer have to check if it's still cover under warranty... yikes!

·
Registered
177 Posts
2008 Impreza OBS with @130K miles - no bearing issues; 1987 Subaru Brat with @143K miles and still on original bearings. I do have genuine front inner/outer bearings and seals to replace some day and for the rears, bought National bearings; turned out to be Japanese NTN units. However, no roar etc., on both cars thus far. The 17 OB is under 6K miles, so far so good. Subaru does use high grade components for the most part. Now to hear someone complain about weak batteries.......

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
I have a 2016 Outback that has approx 22,000 miles on it. In January the right rear bearing started making noise and had to be replaced by th dealer, mileage between 19,000 and 20,000 miles. The service technician at Rusty wallace Subaru in Nashville mention this was very odd at that little mileage. Hoping he is correct

1 - 20 of 95 Posts